Can alcohol actually improve your workout performance and muscle gains?

• Thread starter ShawnD
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Shape
In summary, when drunk, one can do 50% more weight at the same amount of reps. This is because alcohol dehydrates the body and dulls the pain receptors, allowing greater muscle damage and potential gains. However, caffeine is also known to have ergogenic effects, and may help you lift more weight or reps.
ShawnD
Science Advisor
When drunk I can do 50% more weight at the same amount of reps (real numbers there, not made up). By conventional means, doing more weight will allow one to gain more muscle faster, but alcohol is not exactly conventional. One must drink large amounts of water in order for anything to happen, but alcohol is known to dehydrate the body.

Will drinking alcohol allow me to gain more weight faster, or the opposite?

Physics news on Phys.org
It'll probably dull your sense of pain, thus allowing you to tear more muscle fibers, thus allowing you to build more muscle.

- Warren

Right after you accidently drop the weights on yourself, of course.

cookiemonster

If you're retarded enough to drop weights; soberness isn't enough to save you :wink:

How can you be so callous to those that die every year to mysterious flying weights?!

cookiemonster

Getting drunk and exercizing... "look at me ma, I am runnin!" *crash* as the person suddenly falls flat onto the floor.

Maybe you can...Drink and... drink and drink... and drink... until you think yourself exercised. :)

its possible, what are you drinking?

Beer has many vitamins and minerals, some beers enough to meet ones daily requirements.

But yes, it does dehydrate you quickly. Perhaps if you use alcohol, and some kind of healthy chaser (gatorade?) you can avoid this problem.

How do people find the most awkward excueses to drink...

Alcohol vs. creatine and caffeine for strength training

ShawnD said:
When drunk I can do 50% more weight at the same amount of reps (real numbers there, not made up). By conventional means, doing more weight will allow one to gain more muscle faster,
My understanding is that training closer to muscle failure -- not training with more weight -- results in gaining more muscle, faster. You can do this without any weights at all, if you have enough patience. The idea is to do reps until you can't complete any more, and then continue with the set, for as long as possible and without a rest, by attempting the erstwhile next rep.

Will drinking alcohol allow me to gain more weight faster, or the opposite?
Creatine has been observed in peer-reviewed studies to be effective and relatively safe (there have been reports of muscle cramping and reduced renal function) for building muscle mass. It will help you lift more and recover faster, and will result in improved muscle gains from equivalent amounts of training.

Caffeine may help, as well, by giving you more mental energy and endurance during training:

• Recent findings suggest that low doses of caffeine exert significant ergogenic effects by directly affecting the central nervous system during exercise. Caffeine can cross the blood-brain barrier and antagonize the effects of adenosine, resulting in higher concentrations of stimulatory neurotransmitters.
Acute alcohol administration has been observed to temporarily change the plasma testosterone/androstenedione ratio. This may be helping you or or hurting you.

Creatine is available in a variety of forms most cost-effectively from both https://www2.acadia.net/cgi-bin/BAC/web_store.cgi .

In the future, please post your science questions in one of the science forums and not in the PF Lounge. Thank you for your cooperation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, drinking will help you get into shape. Providing of course that the shape you are looking for is wide and flabby around the middle.

Thanks for the info, hitssquad.
I'll try that more reps way instead; it might just work :wink:.

I'll have buff arms in no time :biggrin:

I don't know about caffeine; everytime I exercise (either lifting or bouldering or climbing) after having some caffeine, I notice a marked decrease in my physical ability. What I mean is that even a small amount of exertion brings about a rapid heart rate, a sweat, and a feeling of being overworked. When I don't have caffeine, my reps and climbing moves are smoother, easier, and better controlled.

It's possible that I'd actually be able to lift more weight or do more reps when hopped up on caffeine, but I've never tried. I do the same routine almost every day, and caffeine makes it much less enjoyable. It would probably feel pretty uncomfortable to really exert myself while on it.

- Warren

Drinking? (How About Speed?)

Drinking is a dangerous hobby.

However, I'd be a bit more concerned if I dropped 1 gram of high-power methamphetamines, and somebody handed me a state-of-the art Fighter Aircraft.

Hang on, doesn't the USA GROUND their fighter pilots if they don't drop that GOEY?

YEE-HAW!
(I've been up for five days and haven't slept or eaten)

What are you ranting about now?

Official amphetamine use in the US Air Force

ShawnD said:
What are you ranting about now?
The USAF sometimes requires its pilots to ingest class-II stimulants such as amphetamines:

• The Air Force calls the amphetamines it distributes to pilots "go pills."

Thanks Hitssquad for clearing it up. I hope Nommos is catching up on his sleep now ( :zzz: ).

Ever seen The Legend of Drunken Master with Jackie Chan?

Alcohol inhibits your body's natural breakdown and usage of proteins in your diet.

Drinking may let you lift more because you aren't holding yourself back, but your muscles grow outside of the gym, not in.

In short, no drinking will not be good.

Try 3000 jump ropes a day... I think that'll help.

Dissident Dan said:
Ever seen The Legend of Drunken Master with Jackie Chan?

No I don't know him personally much less see a movie with him. :biggrin:

1. Can drinking alcohol actually help me get in shape?

No, drinking alcohol will not directly help you get in shape. In fact, it can have negative effects on your fitness goals. Alcohol contains empty calories and can impair your judgment, leading to poor food choices and decreased motivation for exercise.

2. What about low-calorie alcoholic drinks, can they be part of a healthy diet?

While low-calorie alcoholic drinks may seem like a better option, they still contain alcohol and can still have negative effects on your fitness goals. Additionally, they may contain artificial sweeteners which can have negative impacts on your health.

3. I've heard that moderate alcohol consumption can have health benefits. Is this true?

Some studies have suggested that moderate alcohol consumption, particularly red wine, may have some health benefits. However, these benefits are minimal and do not outweigh the negative effects of alcohol on your fitness goals.

4. How does alcohol affect my body's ability to build muscle?

Alcohol can decrease your body's ability to build muscle in several ways. It can impair protein synthesis, decrease testosterone levels, and increase cortisol levels, all of which can hinder muscle growth and recovery.

5. Can I still drink alcohol while trying to lose weight?

While technically you can still drink alcohol while trying to lose weight, it is not recommended. Alcohol contains empty calories that can quickly add up and hinder your weight loss progress. Additionally, alcohol can impair your judgment and lead to overeating or making poor food choices.