Transfer function of a damped hanging mass

In summary, to find the transfer function of damped masses hanging, you can use the formula $H(s) = \frac{\mathcal{L}\{y(t)\}}{\mathcal{L}\{x(t)\}}$, where the input is a force $u$ and the output is $x_1$. To separate the input and output functions, you can use Newton's Law and take the Laplace transform of the equations of motion. The initial conditions are assumed to be zero when finding the transfer function.
Dustinsfl
How do I find the transfer function of damped masses hanging?

I know that the transfer function is
\[
H(s) = \frac{\mathcal{L}\{y(t)\}}{\mathcal{L}\{x(t)\}}
\]
where \(u\) is the input which is a force and \(x_1\) is the output.

Given the following diagram (see below), how do I find the input and output functions?

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/40/eh7q.png

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
The force of damping is
\[
F_d = b\frac{dx}{dt}
\]
so by Newton's Law, the system can be written as
\[
u - b(\dot{x}_1 + \dot{x}_2) = m(\ddot{x_1} + \ddot{x}_2).
\]
Is this Correct?

How do I separate out the input from the output?

I tried modeling the forces separately but not sure if this is wise either.

For the first mass, we have $-b\dot{x}_1 = m\ddot{x_1}$, correct?

Now the second is $-b(\dot{x}_1 + \dot{x}_2) + u = m\ddot{x}_2$, correct?

I should be able to take the Laplace transform of both and end up with what I need to construct the transfer function which is
$$
H(s) = \frac{X_1(s)}{U(s)}.
$$
However, I still have and $X_2(s)$. Are my equations of motion wrong? If not, what am I doing incorrectly?

If take the Laplace transform of both, we have
\[
X_1(s)(s^2m + bs) = 0
\]
and
\[
X_2(s)(s^2m + sb) + sbX_1(s) - U(s) = 0
\]
The initial conditions are zero since when finding the transfer function, the initial conditions are zero by definition. If this is correct, how do I get rid of \(X_2(s)\)?

Last edited:

Related to Transfer function of a damped hanging mass

1. What is the transfer function of a damped hanging mass?

The transfer function of a damped hanging mass is a mathematical representation of the relationship between the input force and the resulting displacement of the mass. It takes into account the mass of the object, the damping coefficient, and the stiffness of the spring.

2. How is the transfer function derived?

The transfer function is derived using the principles of Newton's laws of motion. The equation of motion for the damped hanging mass is solved using Laplace transforms to obtain the transfer function.

3. What are the key components of the transfer function?

The key components of the transfer function are the mass of the object, the damping coefficient, and the stiffness of the spring. These parameters determine the behavior of the system and how it responds to an external force.

4. How is the transfer function used in engineering?

The transfer function is used in engineering to analyze and design systems that involve a damped hanging mass. It helps engineers understand how the system will respond to different inputs and allows them to make adjustments to improve its performance.

5. How does the damping coefficient affect the transfer function?

The damping coefficient affects the transfer function by determining the amount of energy dissipated by the system over time. A higher damping coefficient results in a more rapid decay of oscillations, while a lower damping coefficient allows for more sustained oscillations.