Transfer function for a system with lossless gears

In summary, 1) Angle J2 isn't defined and it is assumed that it is at an angle of π to the axis of rotation. 2) The other term in the fourth equation of motion is the torque applied to J2 due to the other two J's rotating.
theone

Homework Statement

http://postimg.org/image/sd66qty27/

I am trying to understand the impedance terms for the equivalent system in (b)

Homework Equations

T1/T2 = N2/N1

The Attempt at a Solution

I just don't understand why the impedance before the gears have to be multiplied by (N2/N1)^2 before they can be added to the impedance after the gear.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is being done here, is that the load is being referred to the gear's output side. Let's say you had an object of moment of inertia L (load) being rotated through a lossless gear system of ratio N2/N1. If you apply Torque T as input, output torque is scaled by the gear ratio. Now if I ask you to choose a different load which behaves just the way this gear + load combination does, what would the moment of inertia of the simplified load be. Try to analyse what the T vs α would come out as in the case with gears and then try to get the same result out of a simple load without the gears. Follow the same approach for the given (albeit more complex) load in your problem statement.

Subhash said:
What is being done here, is that the load is being referred to the gear's output side. Let's say you had an object of moment of inertia L (load) being rotated through a lossless gear system of ratio N2/N1. If you apply Torque T as input, output torque is scaled by the gear ratio. Now if I ask you to choose a different load which behaves just the way this gear + load combination does, what would the moment of inertia of the simplified load be. Try to analyse what the T vs α would come out as in the case with gears and then try to get the same result out of a simple load without the gears. Follow the same approach for the given (albeit more complex) load in your problem statement.

Thanks very much!

I also have a couple of questions for (b) of the following question
http://postimg.org/image/uc0c581cb/
which has the solution
http://postimg.org/image/lr6hcp1ql/

1) why isn't an angle defined for the rotation of J2

2) for the fourth equation of motion (written for the second J=0), I can understand the theta 4 term but I don't understand the other term.

Related to Transfer function for a system with lossless gears

1. What is a transfer function for a system with lossless gears?

A transfer function for a system with lossless gears is a mathematical representation of the relationship between the input and output signals of a system that includes lossless gears. It describes how the input signal is processed by the gears to produce the output signal.

2. What are lossless gears?

Lossless gears are gears that do not experience any energy losses during the process of transferring power from the input to the output. This means that there is no loss of energy due to friction, heat, or other factors.

3. How is the transfer function calculated for a system with lossless gears?

The transfer function for a system with lossless gears can be calculated using the properties of the gears, such as the gear ratio and the number of teeth on each gear. This information is used to determine the relationship between the input and output signals.

4. What is the significance of a transfer function for a system with lossless gears?

A transfer function for a system with lossless gears is significant because it allows us to analyze and understand the behavior of the system. It can help us predict how the output signal will change in response to different input signals and can also be used to design and optimize the system.

5. Can a system with lossless gears ever have any energy losses?

No, a system with lossless gears will not have any energy losses due to the gears themselves. However, there may still be energy losses in other components of the system, such as motors or bearings, which can affect the overall efficiency of the system.