Electrodynamics i need some help

In summary, the conversation is about finding the equilibrium distance between two charges outside a charged cylinder using the method of images. The problem has been modified and more details have been added to the document.
ggups
Hi,
This is my first post, am excited to be here. Cutting to the chase here, i have a question that has been bothering me for a while.
The problem is there is a charged cylinder with charge say +1, and i have to charges outside say at a distance 'd' from the center of the cylinder such that they lie in a single staright line passing thorugh the center. Now i wish to find the equillibrum distance of the charges from the cylinder(by symmetry both are equsidistant from the center of the cylinder). Also the charges are -1/2. How can i calculate the distance using method of images.

thanks
ggups

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
some modification

The previous problem that i gave has some modification. I have written some details in the document.
Thanks
ggups

Attachments

• physforum.doc
    23.5 KB · Views: 219

Hi ggups,

Welcome to the forum! It's great to have you here. Electrodynamics can definitely be a challenging subject, so don't worry if you're struggling with a particular problem.

To solve this problem, you can use the method of images. This involves creating a virtual image charge that is a mirror image of the original charge with respect to the cylinder. The distance between the two charges will be the same as the distance between the real charge and the cylinder.

In this case, the virtual charge will also have a magnitude of +1, since it is a mirror image of the original charge. So, the electric field at the center of the cylinder will be the sum of the electric fields from the real charge and the virtual charge.

Using Coulomb's law, you can calculate the electric field from the real charge at the center of the cylinder, and then use the principle of superposition to add the electric field from the virtual charge. Setting this total electric field to zero will give you the equilibrium distance of the charges from the cylinder.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck with your studies!

1. What is Electrodynamics?

Electrodynamics is a branch of physics that studies the interactions between electrically charged particles and electromagnetic fields. It deals with the principles and laws governing the behavior of electric and magnetic fields, as well as their effects on matter.

2. How is Electrodynamics different from Classical Electromagnetism?

Electrodynamics is a more advanced and comprehensive theory than classical electromagnetism. It incorporates the effects of relativity and quantum mechanics, allowing for a more accurate description of electromagnetic phenomena at a microscopic level.

3. What are some real-world applications of Electrodynamics?

Electrodynamics has numerous practical applications, including the design of electronic devices, telecommunications, power generation and distribution, and medical imaging technologies.

4. What is the relationship between Electrodynamics and Maxwell's equations?

Maxwell's equations are a set of fundamental equations that describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields under various conditions. Electrodynamics is based on these equations and uses them to study the behavior of electromagnetic fields in different situations.

5. How can I apply Electrodynamics in my research or experiments?

Electrodynamics has a wide range of applications in various fields of science and technology. Some examples include studying the behavior of particles in particle accelerators, designing new materials with specific electromagnetic properties, and understanding the dynamics of plasmas in fusion research.