Trajectory of photon or electron in double slit

In summary: This is correct.Under the transactional interpretation the confirmation waves from the dead zones would cancel each other.
learis
Hello, first post. I recently became interested in quantum physics and its mysteries. To my understanding, In the double slit experiment, the photon or electron will scatter and behave like a wave when both slits are open and neither slit is measured. Over time their cumulative scattering mimics what the interference pattern for what a wave would look like upon hitting the wall.

Now, it is my guess that each individual photon or electron upon passing through the slit (... or both slits?) ends up having a particular trajectory that aims it towards one of the locations on the final wall where its wave would register as not canceling itself out.

My question:
Do we have any knowledge or formulas to show what would cause that photon or electron to take that particular trajectory as opposed to another acceptable trajectory for where its wave would register and not cancel out? Or... is it instead believed that no further causes can exist at this point and its trajectory is truly a random probablity? And that the best we can have is a probability function for its possible trajectories?

Physics news on Phys.org
learis said:
it is my guess that each individual photon or electron upon passing through the slit (... or both slits?) ends up having a particular trajectory

This is not correct. Quantum mechanics does not work this way.

PeterDonis said:
This is not correct. Quantum mechanics does not work this way.

So it doesn't have a particular trajectory after passing through the slit(s)? I'm not sure what the alternative is. Does it have something to do with superposition and having multiple trajectories at once?

learis said:
it doesn't have a particular trajectory after passing through the slit(s)?

Or before. It doesn't have a particular trajectory, period.

learis said:
I'm not sure what the alternative is.

There isn't one that is intuitively obvious. That's why it's difficult to deal with quantum mechanics when you first learn about it; it's highly counterintuitive.

learis said:
Does it have something to do with superposition

Yes.

learis said:
and having multiple trajectories at once?

No, because that's not what superposition means (although many pop science sources misleadingly imply that it is). Superposition means that there is an amplitude for all of the different possible trajectories, and to get the probability for arriving at a particular point on the detector, we add up the amplitudes for all the possible trajectories that arrive at that point, then square the result (more precisely, we take the squared modulus of the result, since amplitudes are complex numbers). But that's all it means; talk about "having multiple trajectories at once" is not required or implied.

learis said:
Hello, first post. I recently became interested in quantum physics and its mysteries. To my understanding, In the double slit experiment, the photon or electron will scatter and behave like a wave when both slits are open and neither slit is measured. Over time their cumulative scattering mimics what the interference pattern for what a wave would look like upon hitting the wall.

Now, it is my guess that each individual photon or electron upon passing through the slit (... or both slits?) ends up having a particular trajectory that aims it towards one of the locations on the final wall where its wave would register as not canceling itself out.

My question:
Do we have any knowledge or formulas to show what would cause that photon or electron to take that particular trajectory as opposed to another acceptable trajectory for where its wave would register and not cancel out? Or... is it instead believed that no further causes can exist at this point and its trajectory is truly a random probablity? And that the best we can have is a probability function for its possible trajectories?

I suggest you watch this:

Likes learis
PeroK said:
I suggest you watch this:

Thank you! That looks right up my alley. I was really interested in what situations quantum mechanics asserts as random probability being the final cause. I'll give it a watch!

Related to Trajectory of photon or electron in double slit

1. What is the double slit experiment and why is it important in understanding the trajectory of photons and electrons?

The double slit experiment is a famous experiment in physics that demonstrates the wave-particle duality of light and matter. It involves sending a beam of particles, such as photons or electrons, through two parallel slits and observing the resulting interference pattern on a screen. This experiment is important in understanding the trajectory of photons and electrons because it shows that they can behave as both particles and waves, and their trajectory is affected by the presence of other particles or obstacles.

2. How does the trajectory of a photon or electron change when it passes through a double slit?

When a single photon or electron passes through a double slit, it will go through one of the slits and then spread out in a wave-like pattern. This is known as diffraction. The trajectory of the particle is not a straight line, but rather a curved path due to the interference of the waves passing through the two slits. The resulting interference pattern on the screen is a result of this curved trajectory.

3. Can we predict the exact trajectory of a photon or electron in the double slit experiment?

No, we cannot predict the exact trajectory of a single photon or electron in the double slit experiment. The uncertainty principle in quantum mechanics states that it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle at the same time. Therefore, we can only calculate the probability of the particle appearing at a certain location on the screen, but we cannot determine its exact trajectory.

4. How does the distance between the slits affect the trajectory of photons and electrons in the double slit experiment?

The distance between the slits affects the interference pattern on the screen. When the distance between the slits is smaller, the interference pattern will have a wider spacing, indicating a longer wavelength and lower energy of the particles. Conversely, a larger distance between the slits will result in a closer spacing of the interference pattern, indicating a shorter wavelength and higher energy of the particles.

5. Can the trajectory of photons and electrons be affected by external factors in the double slit experiment?

Yes, the trajectory of photons and electrons can be affected by external factors, such as the presence of other particles or obstacles. This is known as the observer effect, where the act of observing the particles can alter their behavior. In the double slit experiment, even the act of measuring which slit the particle passes through can change its trajectory and result in a different interference pattern on the screen.