Train and Speed of Sound in Air versus Track

In summary, Stan and Ollie are standing next to a train track and Stan puts his ear to the steel track to hear the train coming. He hears the sound of the train whistle through the track 3.1 seconds before Ollie hears it through the air. Using the speeds of sound in steel and air, we can calculate the distance between the train and Stan and Ollie by setting up an equation and solving for t(stan). However, this process may be difficult due to the unknown variables and assumptions that need to be made.
Schoomy

Homework Statement

Stan and Ollie are standing next to a train track. Stan puts his ear to the steel track to hear the train coming. He hears the sound of the train whistle through the track 3.1 s before Ollie hears it through the air. How far away is the train? (Use 5,790 m/s as the speed of sound in steel and 343 m/s as the speed of sound in air.)

Homework Equations

distance = velocity*time
v-steel= 5,790m/s
v-air= 343m/s

The Attempt at a Solution

distance-stan = 3.1seconds*5790m/s = 17,949m
distance-olie = 3.1seconds*343 = 1063.5m

Not sure what to do from here. I don't quite understand the concept relationship they're trying to establish...

I tried subtracting Olie's distance from Stan's, but that didn't get me the right answer...

Physics news on Phys.org
The assumption you need to make is that Stan and Ollie are standing next to each other. ie the distance is the same.

Then you can set up the equation: v(stan) x t(stan) = v(ollie) x t(ollie)

Remember that the question states that Ollie hears the sound 3.1 seconds after Stan, so t(ollie) = t(stan) + 3.1

Substitute this in, expand brackets, solve for t(stan).

Then use d = vt for this time and speed of sound in steel.

Hope this helps.

I end up with this:

T(stan) = (V(olie) x (T(stan)+3.1s)) / V(stan)

I'm not quite sure how to solve...

Leave t(stan)*v(stan) = v(ollie)*(t(stan) + 3.1)

Now expand the brackets.

Then get the t(stan) factors on the same side of the equals sign.

Then factorise

Keep trying! :)

Now I end up with something like this:

Ts + VoTs = 3.1Vo / Vs

I don't know how to get the Ts's alone...

Related to Train and Speed of Sound in Air versus Track

1. What is the relationship between the speed of sound in air and the speed of a train?

The speed of sound in air is dependent on various factors such as temperature, humidity, and air pressure. However, in most cases, sound travels faster in a solid medium like train tracks compared to air. This means that the speed of a train will be faster than the speed of sound in air.

2. How does the speed of a train affect the speed of sound in air?

The speed of a train does not directly affect the speed of sound in air. However, as the train moves through the air, it creates a pressure wave which causes the air molecules to vibrate. This vibration results in sound waves, and the speed of these sound waves will be affected by the speed of the train.

3. Does the speed of sound change on different types of train tracks?

The speed of sound in air remains constant regardless of the type of train tracks. However, the type of track can affect the speed of a train, which in turn can affect the speed of sound waves created by the train as it moves through the air.

4. How does temperature impact the speed of sound in air and a train?

As mentioned earlier, the speed of sound in air is dependent on temperature. As the temperature increases, the speed of sound also increases. This means that on a hot day, both the speed of sound in air and the train will be faster compared to a colder day.

5. Can the speed of sound in air be faster than the speed of a train?

In most cases, no. As mentioned earlier, sound travels faster in a solid medium like train tracks compared to air. Therefore, the speed of a train will typically be faster than the speed of sound in air. However, there are some exceptions, such as when there is a strong tailwind that could potentially make the speed of sound in air faster than the speed of a train.