Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Trail run

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
Just ran a 16mile rail trail ramble--running, walking, biking. I was the in the first 50 to 8mile mark where you can get pie (first runner), and first 25 back (first runner). 1:55 mins

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Just ran a 16mile rail trail ramble--running, walking, biking. I was the in the first 50 to 8mile mark where you can get pie (first runner), and first 25 back (first runner). 1:55 mins
Wow you're in good shape. Ok, going to the gym now for sure.

SuperSonic4

MHB Math Helper
Mar 1, 2012
Wow, that makes me tired just thinking about it. Most exercise I get these days is walking to/from the kettle

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
Wow, that makes me tired just thinking about it. Most exercise I get these days is walking to/from the kettle

I can barely go down stairs at the moment now.

kanderson

Jul 7, 2012
I ran with a backpack filled with very very heavy books about half a mile against two of my friends from china today. Good lord, I almost keeled over and died. I can't believe you did sixteen miles.

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
I ran with a backpack filled with very very heavy books about half a mile against two of my friends from china today. Good lord, I almost keeled over and died. I can't believe you did sixteen miles.

If you practice, it will only get easier.

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Did 40 minutes on the elliptical machine at the gym. I feel like a hamster running in a wheel but it's better than nothing and works up a sweat. Have you always been in good shape dwsmith? What level of fitness did you build up from to where you are now?

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
Did 40 minutes on the elliptical machine at the gym. I feel like a hamster running in a wheel but it's better than nothing and works up a sweat. Have you always been in good shape dwsmith? What level of fitness did you build up from to where you are now?
I prefer the treadmill over the elliptical. I was in my best shape at the age of 22. I am stronger and faster than I was back then now but my body fat isn't as low. I am trying to bring it down to 6-8%.

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
I prefer the treadmill over the elliptical. I was in my best shape at the age of 22. I am stronger and faster than I was back then now but my body fat isn't as low. I am trying to bring it down to 6-8%.
I need to lose a good bit of weight but am still in decent cardiovascular shape. Do you exercise daily? What kind of weight/cardio regimen do you have? Follow a specific diet?

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
I need to lose a good bit of weight but am still in decent cardiovascular shape. Do you exercise daily? What kind of weight/cardio regimen do you have? Follow a specific diet?
I wake up at 5-6am. Do 150-200 push ups and sit ups about 4 times a week. On MR, train my chest, shoulders, triceps, and biceps. On TF, I train legs, back, and traps. I do gym ab exercises throughout the week as well. On W, I run 5-9 miles. On MF, I run 2miles, and on Sat, about 4-6miles. I swim for 30mins-1hr MTWH.

I keep a journal the foods I eat daily.

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
I wake up at 5-6am. Do 150-200 push ups and sit ups about 4 times a week. On MR, train my chest, shoulders, triceps, and biceps. On TF, I train legs, back, and traps. I do gym ab exercises throughout the week as well. On W, I run 5-9 miles. On MF, I run 2miles, and on Sat, about 4-6miles. I swim for 30mins-1hr MTWH.

That would definitely get you into shape. This is giving me some motivation to take my own fitness up a notch :) What's your daily calorie goal? I should be netting 2,200 a day to lose weight but I'm a big guy.

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
That would definitely get you into shape. This is giving me some motivation to take my own fitness up a notch :) What's your daily calorie goal? I should be netting 2,200 a day to lose weight but I'm a big guy.
I eat anywhere from 1800-3000 calories a day. I keep my Sat Fat under 25 grams a day though.

Ackbach

Indicium Physicus
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012

That doesn't leave nearly enough time for MHB.

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
That doesn't leave nearly enough time for MHB.
I still am capable of making a bunch of posts. I should be doing math now but I am too lazy now. I had Karate from 6-8.

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
I still am capable of making a bunch of posts. I should be doing math now but I am too lazy now. I had Karate from 6-8.
Please start keeping a fitness log here. It's great motivation. I'm serious. Use this thread as needed.

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
Please start keeping a fitness log here. It's great motivation. I'm serious. Use this thread as needed.
Today was an easy day. 3mile walk, 1.75mile run at the pace of 7:03mins per mile, using the ab crunch machine 5 sets with weights 30-80, and then feet on a balance ball while in the push up position and then bring my knees to my chest 3 sets.

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Just did 40 minutes on the elliptical. I wanted to play racquetball but my friend backed out at the last minute. I'm not sure whether I should be looking to increase my time on the elliptical or intensity. I've been at 40 minutes for a while now but increasing the overall resistance so it's more work.

Last edited:

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
Just did 40 minutes on the elliptical. I wanted to play racquetball but my friend backed out at the last minute. I'm not sure whether I should be looking to increase my time on the elliptical or intensity. I've been at 40 minutes for a while now but increasing the overall resistance so it's more work.
I do both. There are days I run longer and days I run faster.

Amer

Mar 1, 2012

thats much, i do 30 push up and i thought i am on the way of fitness

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
Jameson,
So today I ran 2miles in 14mins, ran a 1/4mile in 1:30, chest, triceps, shoulders, biceps, 240 situps, and 60 oblique crunches. Now, I am doing math wearing a 40lbs weight vest.

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Jameson,
So today I ran 2miles in 14mins, ran a 1/4mile in 1:30, chest, triceps, shoulders, biceps, 240 situps, and 60 oblique crunches. Now, I am doing math wearing a 40lbs weight vest.
I did just 30 minutes of cardio but still glad I went. Had to force myself. Logged calories into myfitnesspal.com so starting to get back on track.

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
I did just 30 minutes of cardio but still glad I went. Had to force myself. Logged calories into myfitnesspal.com so starting to get back on track.
I tried using an online diet journal but I can't do it. I need a physical journal to keep track.

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
I tried using an online diet journal but I can't do it. I need a physical journal to keep track.
Most online journals are bad. MFP is the best from what I've read and tried. You can log from your smartphone as well which can be convenient and if you eat a lot of the same foods logging becomes really fast because it keeps a history of common foods you eat.

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
Most online journals are bad. MFP is the best from what I've read and tried. You can log from your smartphone as well which can be convenient and if you eat a lot of the same foods logging becomes really fast because it keeps a history of common foods you eat.
Same with writing it down. I eventually start to memorize the nutritional data for the foods I regular eat.