Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

[SOLVED] traffic flow wave equation

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
Suppose that along a stretch of highway the net flow of cars entering (per unit length) can be taken as a constant $\beta_0$.
The governing equation of motion is then
$$
\frac{\partial\rho}{\partial t} + c(\rho)\frac{\partial\rho}{\partial x} = \beta_0
$$
where
$$
c(\rho) = u_{\text{max}}\left(1 - \frac{2\rho}{\rho_{\text{max}}}\right).
$$

Show that the variation of the initial density distribution is given by
$$
\rho = \beta_0t + \rho(x_0,0)
$$
along a characteristic emanating from $x = x_0$ described by
$$
x = x_0 + u_{\text{max}}\left(1 - \frac{2\rho(x_0,0)}{\rho_{\text{max}}}\right)t - \beta_0\frac{u_{\text{max}}}{\rho_{\text{max}}}t.
$$

What I have done so far is:
$\frac{dt}{dr} = 1\Rightarrow t = r + c$ but when $t = 0$, we have $t = r$.

$\frac{dx}{dr} = c(\rho)\Rightarrow x = tu_{\text{max}}\left(1-\frac{2\rho}{\rho_{\text{max}}}\right)+c$ but when $t=0$, we have
$$
x = tu_{\text{max}}\left(1-\frac{2\rho}{\rho_{\text{max}}}\right) + x_0.
$$

$\frac{d\rho}{dr} = \beta_0\Rightarrow \rho = t\beta_0 + c$

How do I get to
$$
\rho(x,t) = t\beta_0 +\rho(x_0,0)
$$
and their characteristic?

Sudharaka

MHB Math Helper
Feb 5, 2012
Hi dwsmith, :)

$\frac{d\rho}{dr} = \beta_0\Rightarrow \rho = t\beta_0 + c$

How do I get to
$$
\rho(x,t) = t\beta_0 +\rho(x_0,0)
$$
and their characteristic?
\[\rho = t\beta_0 + c\]

When, \(t=0\) we have, \(\rho(x=x_{0},t=0)=\rho(x_{0},0)\). Therefore,

\[\rho=t\beta_{0}+\rho(x_{0},0)\]

$\frac{dx}{dr} = c(\rho)\Rightarrow x = tu_{\text{max}}\left(1-\frac{2\rho}{\rho_{\text{max}}}\right)+c$ but when $t=0$, we have
$$
x = tu_{\text{max}}\left(1-\frac{2\rho}{\rho_{\text{max}}}\right) + x_0.
$$
This is incorrect. Note that \(\rho\) depends on \(t\) but you have considered it as a constant when integrating. The correct method is to substitute for \(\rho\) first so as to obtain,

\[\frac{dx}{dr}=\frac{dx}{dt}=c(\rho)=u_{\text{max}}\left(1 - \frac{2\rho}{\rho_{\text{max}}}\right)\]

\[\Rightarrow \frac{dx}{dt}=u_{\text{max}}\left(1 - \frac{2\rho(x_{0},0)}{\rho_{\text{max}}}\right)-\frac{2\beta_{0}u_{\text{max}}t}{\rho_{\text{max}}}\]

Integration gives,

\[x=x_{0}+u_{\text{max}}\left(1 - \frac{2\rho(x_{0},0)}{\rho_{\text{max}}}\right)t-\frac{\beta_{0}u_{\text{max}}t^{\color{red}2}}{ \rho_{\text{max}}}\]

Kind Regards,
Sudharaka.

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
\[\Rightarrow \frac{dx}{dt}=u_{\text{max}}\left(1 - \frac{2\rho(x_{0},0)}{\rho_{\text{max}}}\right)-\frac{2\beta_{0}u_{\text{max}}t}{\rho_{\text{max}}}\]
Where did this piece come from?

$$\frac{2\beta_{0}u_{\text{max}}t}{\rho_{\text{max}}}$$

Sudharaka

MHB Math Helper
Feb 5, 2012
Where did this piece come from?

$$\frac{2\beta_{0}u_{\text{max}}t}{\rho_{\text{max}}}$$
Substitute \(\rho=t\beta_{0}+\rho(x_{0},0)\) for \(\rho\) in \(\frac{dx}{dt}=c(\rho)=u_{\text{max}} \left(1 - \frac{2\rho}{\rho_{\text{max}}}\right)\)

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
Substitute \(\rho=t\beta_{0}+\rho(x_{0},0)\) for \(\rho\) in \(\frac{dx}{dt}=c(\rho)=u_{\text{max}} \left(1 - \frac{2\rho}{\rho_{\text{max}}}\right)\)
How can I use Mathematica to sketch the space time diagram?

Sudharaka

MHB Math Helper
Feb 5, 2012
How can I use Mathematica to sketch the space time diagram?
I have never used Mathematica so I won't be able to answer your question. By space-time diagram do you mean the graph between \(x\) and \(t\) ?

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
I have never used Mathematica so I won't be able to answer your question. By space-time diagram do you mean the graph between \(x\) and \(t\) ?
Yes

Sudharaka

MHB Math Helper
Feb 5, 2012
In that case it is a parabola. But do you have any specific values for the constants, \(x_{0},\,u_{\text{max}},\,\rho(x_{0},0),\,\rho_{ \text{max}}\mbox{ and }\beta_{0}\) ?

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
In that case it is a parabola. But do you have any specific values for the constants, \(x_{0},\,u_{\text{max}},\,\rho(x_{0},0),\,\rho_{ \text{max}}\mbox{ and }\beta_{0}\) ?

No.

Sudharaka

MHB Math Helper
Feb 5, 2012
Then it seems problematic as to how you would graph this equation in any mathematical software. What you can only say is that the graph between \(x\) and \(t\) is parabolic.