Solve Partial Fractions: 1+u2/(1+u4)

In summary, the conversation revolves around a question involving integration, specifically the problem of resolving (1+u2)/(1+u4) into partial fractions. The person asking the question is struggling with finding the values of A, B, C, and D in the equation (Au+B)(x2+2u+2) + (Cu+D)(u2-2u+2). They also mention a substitution method involving u=sqrt[(1-x)/(1+x)] and ask for clarification on why this substitution is used. Another person chimes in to point out an error in the equation and suggests using a different substitution method, x=sin θ, to compare the results. The original person explains that the first substitution
KLscilevothma
I have been doing revision on integration lately, and came across a question that need to resolve (1+u2)/(1+u4) in partial fraction before I can proceed.

1+u4 = (u2-2u+2)(x2+2u+2)

therefore 1+u2 = (Au+B)(x2+2u+2) + (Cu+D)(u2-2u+2)
and I need to find out A, B, C and D

But wait, the next step in my textbook contains something like (1+sqrt(2)u+u2) and (1-sqrt(2)+u2) in denominators, so what is the problem and where does sqrt(2) come from ?

PS
original question:
[inte]dx/[(1+x2)(sqrt(1-x2))]
and the substitution used is :
u=sqrt[(1-x)/(1+x)]

Mathematics news on Phys.org
1+u4 = (u2-2u+2)(x2+2u+2)

This is false. If you expand it, you get 4 for your constant term, not 1. I presume that if you replaced your factors with the two with sqrt(2) in them you'd get the correct result.

P.S. why that substitution? It seems to work, but I've never seen that sort of substitution suggested before.

P.P.S. After you get the solution your way, try substituting x=sin θ and compare the work done.

Thanks for your reply.

1+u4 = (u^2-2u+2)(x^2+2u+2)

This is false
Oh yes, though I've expanded the brackets and checked, thought 4 was the constant instead of 1. I also thought
cos(pi/4)+isin(pi/4)=1+i, that's why I got it wrong. (I did my revision for more than 4 hours till 4am, and it was one of the last questions I did)

why that substitution
According to my book, it's called Euler's transformation. If we want to evaluate integrals of the type [squ](ax2+bx+c) and if ax2+bx+c can be factorized into real linear factors a(x-[alpha])(x-[beta]), use
u=[squ][a(x-[alpha])/(x-[beta])] as substitution.

For example, in this question,
[inte]dx/{[(1+x2)sqrt(1-x2)]}
=[inte]dx/{(1+x2)(1+x)sqrt[(1-x)(1+x)]}

substitution, u=sqrt[(1-x)/(1+x)]

In another textbook, t2 = (1-x2)(1+x2) is used as substitution. It seems that the second method is easier and doesn't need to use partial fraction.

1. What is the purpose of solving partial fractions?

The purpose of solving partial fractions is to break down a complex fraction into simpler fractions in order to make it easier to solve and understand the given problem.

2. How do you identify if a fraction can be solved using partial fractions?

A fraction can be solved using partial fractions if the denominator can be factored into linear and quadratic terms.

3. What is the general method for solving partial fractions?

The general method for solving partial fractions involves the following steps:
1. Factor the denominator of the given fraction into linear and quadratic terms.
2. Write the fraction in the form of A/(x-a) + B/(x-b) + C/(x^2+bx+c) + ...
3. Multiply both sides of the equation by the common denominator.
4. Simplify and solve for the unknown coefficients.
5. Combine the fractions and simplify if necessary.

4. Can partial fractions be used to solve any type of fraction?

No, partial fractions can only be used to solve fractions with polynomial denominators that can be factored into linear and quadratic terms.

5. Is there a limit to the number of terms in the partial fractions decomposition?

There is no specific limit to the number of terms in the partial fractions decomposition, but typically it is kept to a minimum to avoid unnecessary complexity in the solution.