Trace reverse perturbation

In summary: Not necessarily,after contraction you getηijηij=η00η00+η11η11+η22η22+η33η33,all others are zero,right.now this is =(1*1)+(-1*-1)+(-1*-1)+(-1*-1)=4,it does not depend on your signature.you can take as well as(-,+,+,+).Thanks a lot andrien.
nikhilb1997
From the tensor, ##\bar{h}^{ij}=h^{ij}-1/2\eta^{ij}h##
Where, h=##h^i_i##,
Prove that ##\bar{h}=-h##,
Where, ##\bar{h}=\bar{h}^i_i##

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, and welcome to PF!

Part of the rules of this forum is that you must show some work towards a solution before help is given. You can click on the "Rules" tab at the top of the page for more information on posting questions.

Your Latex formating will work if you use ## instead of $.
nikhilb1997 said:
From the tensor, ##\bar{h}^{ij}=h^{ij}-1/2\eta^{ij}h##
Where, ##h=h^i_i## ,
Prove that ##\bar{h}=-h##,
Where, ##\bar{h}=\bar{h}^i_i##

just contract both sides with ηij.

andrien said:
just contract both sides with ηij.
I tried it but I guess I made a mistake since I got h(bar) on the left side and on the right side I got h-1/2h. Please help.

nikhilb1997 said:
I tried it but I guess I made a mistake since I got h(bar) on the left side and on the right side I got h-1/2h. Please help.
No,you get on the right side h-(1/2)(4)h=h-2h=-h,can you verify it?

andrien said:
No,you get on the right side h-(1/2)(4)h=h-2h=-h,can you verify it?

I had to find the absolute value of the ##n_{ij}## matrix. Is this is where I went wrong. Thank you very much

Last edited:
nikhilb1997 said:
I had to find the absolute value of the ##n_{ij}## matrix. Is this is where I went wrong. Thank you very much
Not necessarily,after contraction you get
ηijηij00η0011η11
22η2233η33,
all others are zero,right.now this is =(1*1)+(-1*-1)+(-1*-1)+(-1*-1)=4,it does not depend on your signature.you can take as well as(-,+,+,+).

Thanks a lot andrien.

Related to Trace reverse perturbation

1. What is trace reverse perturbation?

Trace reverse perturbation is a scientific term used to describe the process of reversing a perturbation or disturbance in a system. This can refer to various fields such as physics, mathematics, and biology, where a small change or disturbance in a system can affect the entire system. Trace reverse perturbation involves analyzing the initial perturbation and then implementing a corrective action to return the system to its original state.

2. How does trace reverse perturbation work?

Trace reverse perturbation involves identifying the initial perturbation in a system and then using mathematical or scientific methods to analyze its effects. Based on this analysis, a corrective action is then implemented to counteract the effects of the perturbation and restore the system to its original state.

3. What are the applications of trace reverse perturbation?

Trace reverse perturbation has various applications in different fields. In physics, it can be used to reverse disturbances in systems such as oscillators or vibrations. In biology, it can be applied to reverse perturbations in biological systems, such as gene expression or protein interactions. In mathematics, it can be used to solve equations involving perturbations and find the original solution.

4. Are there any limitations to trace reverse perturbation?

Like any scientific concept, trace reverse perturbation has its limitations. It relies on accurate identification and analysis of the initial perturbation, which can be challenging in complex systems. It also assumes that the system can be restored to its original state, which may not always be possible. Additionally, trace reverse perturbation may not be applicable in certain systems where the effects of perturbations are irreversible.

5. How is trace reverse perturbation different from other perturbation methods?

Trace reverse perturbation differs from other perturbation methods in that it specifically focuses on reversing the effects of a perturbation rather than simply analyzing them. Other perturbation methods may use the perturbation as a means of studying the system or finding solutions, whereas trace reverse perturbation aims to restore the system to its original state. It also involves a certain level of control and intervention, rather than just observing the effects of a perturbation.