Trace of this yang-mills operator

In summary, the Yang-Mills operator is a mathematical tool used in the study of quantum field theory and gauge theory. It allows for the calculation of the equations of motion for the fields in a gauge theory, and can be used to describe the interactions between particles. The trace of this operator is a scalar quantity that provides information about the behavior and symmetries of the system. It is an important tool in theoretical physics and has applications in various areas such as particle physics, condensed matter physics, and cosmology.
CGH
Hi there,

I'm trying to compute the trace of an operator found here: http://inspirebeta.net/record/360247 (eq 7.5)

I'm not going to make you read the article, so i state the problem:

I have the following operator in a Yang-.Mills theory, using the background field method,

[tex]
D_0=-(DD)^{ab}_{\mu\nu}+2gf^{abc}F^c_{\mu\nu}
[/tex]

So, what i want to compute is,

[tex]
Tr([D_0+R_k(D_0)]^{-1}R_k'(D_0))
[/tex]

and trace is integration over coordinates and sum over color indices and R is some function.

What I'm trying to do is to use a known result from here: http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/0306138
The heat kernel is defined as

[tex]
K(t;x,y;D)=<x|e^{-tD}|y>
[/tex]

and the propagator

[tex]
D^-1=\int_0^\infty dt K(t;,x,y;D)
[/tex]

so, using (2.19), (2.21) and (4.34) i get (i 4 dimensions)

[tex]
K(t;x,x,D_0)=\frac{2N}{(4\pi)^2}\frac{5}{6}F^2
[/tex]

now, how can i use all this to compute the above trace to order F^2?, i don't know how to get the result from the paper, can anyone help me?

Saludos!

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your problem with us. I understand the importance of accurately computing the trace of an operator in a Yang-Mills theory. After reviewing the forum post and the articles you mentioned, I have some suggestions that may help you in your computation.

Firstly, it is important to note that the operator D_0 in your problem is a combination of two terms - the first term is the covariant derivative (DD)^{ab}_{\mu\nu} and the second term is the Yang-Mills field strength tensor multiplied by the structure constant f^{abc}. Therefore, when computing the trace, you will have to consider both of these terms separately.

To start, you can use the known result from the article http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/0306138 to compute the heat kernel for each term separately. This will give you two separate propagators, D_0^-1 and (DD)^-1. You can then use these propagators to calculate the trace of the operator D_0 as follows:

Tr(D_0) = Tr(-(DD)^{ab}_{\mu\nu}) + Tr(2gf^{abc}F^c_{\mu\nu})

= Tr(-(DD)^{ab}_{\mu\nu}) + 2gf^{abc}Tr(F^c_{\mu\nu})

= Tr((DD)^-1) + 2gf^{abc}Tr(F^c_{\mu\nu})

= ∫d^4x Tr((DD)^-1) + 2gf^{abc}∫d^4x Tr(F^c_{\mu\nu})

Where Tr(F^c_{\mu\nu}) is the trace of the Yang-Mills field strength tensor, which you can compute using the known result from the paper. Finally, you can use the result from the paper to compute the trace of (DD)^-1 and substitute it in the above equation to get the final result.

I hope this helps you in your computation. Please let me know if you have any further questions or need any clarification.

Related to Trace of this yang-mills operator

1. What is the trace of a Yang-Mills operator?

The trace of a Yang-Mills operator is a mathematical operation used in the study of quantum field theory. It involves summing the diagonal elements of a matrix, which represent the gauge fields in a particular gauge theory.

2. How is the trace of a Yang-Mills operator calculated?

The trace of a Yang-Mills operator is calculated by summing the diagonal elements of the matrix representation of the operator. This can be done by hand or with the use of computer software.

3. What is the significance of the trace of a Yang-Mills operator?

The trace of a Yang-Mills operator is important in the study of gauge theories because it is related to the gauge invariance of a system. In particular, a traceless Yang-Mills operator is necessary for a theory to be gauge invariant.

4. Can the trace of a Yang-Mills operator be zero?

Yes, the trace of a Yang-Mills operator can be zero. In fact, in many gauge theories, it is desirable for the trace to be zero in order for the theory to be gauge invariant.

5. How does the trace of a Yang-Mills operator relate to the strong nuclear force?

The trace of a Yang-Mills operator is related to the strong nuclear force through the theory of quantum chromodynamics (QCD). In QCD, the trace of the Yang-Mills operator is used to calculate the strength of the strong force between quarks and gluons, which are the fundamental particles that make up protons and neutrons.