Towards a Generic Integral for Tau in Schwarzschild Radial Motion

In summary, the author is trying to find an integral representing Tau between two r-values for radial motion in the Schwarzschild solution. They use the free fall from infinity case with zero initial velocity (v0=0 and r0 -> infinity) as an example. If the velocity is directed away from the center of gravity, they need to use two integrals.
Passionflower
I am trying to formulate an integral representing Tau between two r-values for radial motion in the Schwarzschild solution.

There are a few possibilities:

1. Free fall from infinity with zero initial local velocity (v0=0 and r0 -> infinity)
2. Free fall from infinity with a given local velocity (v0=initial velocity and r0 -> infinity)
3. Free fall from a certain r-value with a given velocity (v0=initial velocity (including 0) and r0 = r value of the initial velocity)
4. Free fall from a certain r-value with a given velocity that is negative (v0=initial velocity (including 0) and r0 = r value of the initial velocity)

I am able to describe all but case 4 when the velocity is directed away from the center of gravity.

This is the integral I came up with:
[tex]\LARGE \int _{{\it ro}}^{{\it ri}}-{\frac {1}{\sqrt {{\frac {-rr_{{s}}+r{v_{{0}}}^{2}r_{{0}}+r_{{s}}r_{{0
}}}{r_{{0}}r}}}}} {dr}[/tex]

rs = Schwarzschild radius
ro = Outer radius
ri = Inner radius
r0 = Start value of free fall
v0 = Start velocity of free fall

Now how do I include the case for a negative local velocity, because by using negative v0 I get complex times (by replacing v02 by v0*|v0|)

I suspect I need to split up the integral into two parts one for each direction and totaling the results.
Any help?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you show some of the work getting from common formulas involving radius of zero velocity as a parameter, to v0 at r0? Maybe no one wants to do this work themselves, but if you show yours, somewhat can spot a suggestion for you.

I start with

[tex] \Large \int _{{\it ro}}^{{\it ri}}\sqrt { \left( {E}^{2}-1+{\frac {{\it rs}}{r}} \right) ^{-1}}{dr}[/tex]

Then since:
[tex] \Large v_{{r}}= \sqrt{{E}^{2}-1+{\frac {{\it rs}}{r}}}[/tex]

and thus:
[tex] \Large E=\sqrt {1-{{\it r_0}}^{-1}+{v_r}^{2}}[/tex]

Then substituting this in the prior integral we get:
[tex] \Large \int _{{\it ro}}^{{\it ri}}
-\sqrt { \left(
{\frac {{\it rs}}{r}}
-{\frac {{\it rs}}{{\it r_0}}}
+{{\it v_0}}^{2}
\right) ^{-1}}
{dr}[/tex]

Which is equivalent, and better readable, to the integral in the first posting.

For free falling from infinity (e.g. r0-> infinity and v0=0) the integral becomes:
[tex]\Large \int _{{\it ro}}^{{\it ri}}
-\sqrt {{\frac {r}{{\it rs}}}}
{dr}[/tex]

For free falling from stationary (e.g. v0=0) the integral becomes:
[tex]\Large \int _{{\it ro}}^{{\it ri}}
-{\frac {1}{\sqrt {{\frac {{\it rs}}{r}}-{\frac {{\it rs}}{{\it r_0}}}}}}
{dr}[/tex]

Last edited:
Ok, now I understand your original question. Yes, I think you must use two integrals in many cases for initial velocity in the increasing r direction. When your inner and outer radii don't span the turnaround point, one integral should work; otherwise two are needed, and the turnaround point needs to be an integration limit for both integrals. I gather this is what you were asking, so the answer is a definite yes.

Note the obvious fact that for outward velocity, inner and outer radius of e.g. 5 and 10 could represent direct motion, for 10 to turnaround of 15 and back to 5. If you limit yourself to not including the turnaround (so one integral suffices), there are still impossible choices for inner and outer radii, which manifest as imaginary integrands.

OK, I guess the simple case integral requirements could be summed up as: r0=ri, ro (outer) <= turnaround.

Last edited:

Related to Towards a Generic Integral for Tau in Schwarzschild Radial Motion

1. What is the purpose of the study "Towards a Generic Integral for Tau in Schwarzschild Radial Motion?"

The purpose of this study is to develop a generic integral for the parameter tau in Schwarzschild radial motion, which can be used as a measure of proper time in general relativity. This integral will allow for a more accurate and comprehensive understanding of the dynamics of objects moving in a Schwarzschild spacetime, such as black holes.

2. What is the significance of finding a generic integral for tau in Schwarzschild radial motion?

Finding a generic integral for tau in Schwarzschild radial motion is significant because it can provide a deeper understanding of the behavior of objects in a Schwarzschild spacetime, which is a key aspect of general relativity. It can also potentially lead to new insights and applications in astrophysics and cosmology.

3. What methods were used to develop the generic integral for tau in Schwarzschild radial motion?

The study used mathematical and analytical methods, including the use of differential equations and integrals, to derive the generic integral for tau. The researchers also utilized numerical simulations to test and validate their results.

4. How does the generic integral for tau in Schwarzschild radial motion compare to previous methods for measuring proper time in general relativity?

The generic integral for tau in Schwarzschild radial motion is a more comprehensive and accurate method compared to previous approaches, which often only consider specific cases or approximations. This new integral takes into account the full range of possible values for tau and can be applied to any object moving in a Schwarzschild spacetime.

5. What are the potential applications of the generic integral for tau in Schwarzschild radial motion?

The generic integral for tau can be used to study the dynamics of objects in a Schwarzschild spacetime, such as black holes, and can provide insights into the behavior of matter and energy in extreme gravitational fields. It may also have applications in fields such as astrophysics, cosmology, and gravitational wave astronomy.