Tough Thermodynamics mass flow Problem Help

In summary, The problem involves analyzing the emptying process of a 30 gallon still containing 1/3 water and assuming alcohol has the same properties as water. The desired output is 10 gal/hr of saturated vapor at 80°C. The equations used are conservation of mass, energy, and entropy. The mass at the beginning is 37.7936 kg and the mass flow rate is calculated using the velocity and specific volume of the outlet. The heat and entropy generation during the emptying process is also calculated. The unknowns are the mass at state 2 and the mass flow rate at the outlet.
SweetDReynolds

Homework Statement

Exam_3.jpg
[/B]
Problem: In order to simplify your analysis, you will assume alcohol has the same properties of water so you can use the steam tables. You load the 30 gallon still 1/3 full with nearby water at 1 bar and 20°C and mash(assume the mash has negligible influence on properties and total mass in comparison to water to simplify your analysis). You wish to achieve an alcohol volumetric flow rate out of the still at 10 gal/hr with the alcohol leaving as a saturated vapor at 80°C.
a) What is the total mass in the still?
b)What is the mass flow rate of alcohol [gm/hr] leaving the still and the time it takes to completely empty the still in
(assuming all water and mash will leave the still as alcohol)?
c) How much heat in [kJ] and entropy generation in [kJ/kg] occurs over the still emptying process given a constant furnace temperature of 1000°F.

V=Volume, v=specific volume, V_flow=volumetric flow, Q=heat transfer

Attempt:
Known: T_1=20°C, Q=10 gal/hr, V_1=(1/3)30 gal = 10 gal

Took state 1 as the liquid and state 2 as the alcohol vapor inside the still...

Homework Equations

Conservation of mass, conservation of energy, conservation of entropy
∆m_cv+m_i-m_e=0
m=V/v(dt)
mdot=(Velocity*A/v)
Q(volumetric flow)=AV
The change in mass within the control volume+sum of the massflows entering-sum of the mass flows exiting=0
∆E_cv=1Q2-1W2+Σmdot_i(h_i)-Σmdot_e(h_e)
simplifies to m_2*u*2-m_1*u*1=1Q2-mdot_e?

The Attempt at a Solution

a) m_total=m_1+m_2? unless there is no mass at state 2..
m_1=V/v
v(20 C)=.0010016 m^3/kg
m_1 = 10gal/.0010016 m^3/kg = 37.7936 kg

b) Conservation of mass equation (a is the nomenclature denoted at the outlet on the diagram)
m_2-m_1=-mdot_a
m_a=(Vel_a*A/v_a)dt or V_a/v_a
V_flow=Vel_a*A
v_a(80 C)=.0010291m^3/kg

From here i would integrate my mass flow over time and do m_a(t2-t1) and take t1 to be 0.

c) -Q_1/2=m_1*u_1-m_2*u_2-mdot_a*h_a

really, i do not know what state 2 is, do i need it in my analysis?

Could just be an analysis error/using wrong simplifications of the equations. Need mass flow to move forward with problem.

Any direction would be appreciated. Thank you!

Attachments

• Exam 3.JPG
    Exam 3.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 437
Physics news on Phys.org
If the still has 10 gallons to begin with, and it is emptied at 10 gph, how much is left after 1 hour? How much exited during that 1 hour? What mass exited during the 1 hour?

Chet

Related to Tough Thermodynamics mass flow Problem Help

1. What is a Tough Thermodynamics mass flow Problem?

A Tough Thermodynamics mass flow Problem is a complex problem that involves the study of energy transformation and the flow of mass in a system. It requires knowledge of thermodynamics principles and equations to solve.

2. Why are Tough Thermodynamics mass flow Problems difficult to solve?

Tough Thermodynamics mass flow Problems are difficult to solve because they often involve multiple variables and equations that must be manipulated simultaneously. They also require a deep understanding of thermodynamics principles and mathematical skills.

3. What are some common strategies for solving Tough Thermodynamics mass flow Problems?

Some common strategies for solving Tough Thermodynamics mass flow Problems include identifying known and unknown variables, using appropriate thermodynamics equations, and breaking down complex systems into smaller, more manageable parts.

4. How can I improve my understanding of Tough Thermodynamics mass flow Problems?

Improving your understanding of Tough Thermodynamics mass flow Problems can be achieved by practicing more problems, seeking help from a teacher or tutor, and studying the fundamental principles of thermodynamics.

5. What are some real-world applications of Tough Thermodynamics mass flow Problems?

Tough Thermodynamics mass flow Problems have many real-world applications, including in the design of engines, power plants, refrigeration systems, and chemical processes. They are also used in the study of fluid mechanics and heat transfer.