Tough calc projectile Q w/ incline. HELP

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the value of theta that will result in the largest possible value of x when a ball is hit at an angle theta to the horizontal from the base of a hill with an incline of phi degrees. The conversation involves using equations for vertical and horizontal displacement and using calculus methods to find the maximum value of x.
asourpatchkid
A ball is hit at an angle [tex]\theta[/tex] to the horizontal, from the base of a hill [tex] \phi [/tex] degrees in incline. The ball strikes the hill at a horizontal distance [tex]x[/tex] measured from the launch point. Determine the value of [tex] \theta[/tex] that will result in the largest possible value of [tex] x [/tex].

well i started out finding the vertical displacement to be [tex] x\tan\phi [/tex]
then i put that in the basic [tex]S_{y} = V_{i}sin\theta t + \frac{1}{2}-9.8t^2 [/tex] of corse [tex]S_{y} = xtan\phi[/tex]. now i am stumped on what to do. please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Let y_1 = x tan ph and
Let y_2 = v_0(sin th)t - (1/2)gt^2, x = v_0(cos th)t

note that t can be eliminated from y_2 by putting t = x/[ v_0 cos th ]

so then i come up with [tex] y_2 = x tan \theta - \frac {4.9x^2}{(v_0^2)(cos /theta^2)} [/tex] if i set that equal to [tex]x tan \phi[/tex] , i can simplify to [tex] tan \phi = tan \theta - \frac {4.9x}{(v_0^2)(cos^2 \theta)}[/tex]

what would i do next??

Last edited:
right, solve the equation you just found for x. Note that this is really a function x(th) that gives you the horz distance x at which the ball hits the hill when thrown at an angle th. Now you can use calculus methods to find the max of this function. be very careful when using inverse functions (like arctan). you might find the following relation very helpful as well, 2 sin th cos th = sin 2 th, use it when you can

ok i got : x = (v_0/g) (v_0 sin2th - 2y cos th). if i take the derivitive of his equation (velocity) how would i find the derivitve of "y" ??

i'm not sure the equation you got is correct (it might be..), but if you look at your earlier post, you will see an equation with an 'x' but no 'y'. Just solve this for 'x' and you have the function x(th).

btw, because you want to maximize x(th) with respect to theta, make sure to take the derivative with respect to th and notice that all the other variables remain constant in the problem as th changes, so you can treat them as constants in computing the derivative.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Tough calc projectile Q w/ incline. HELP

1. What is a "tough calc projectile" problem?

A tough calc projectile is a physics problem that involves calculating the motion of an object, typically a projectile, in a given scenario using calculus principles. This type of problem is challenging because it requires a combination of algebra, trigonometry, and calculus to solve.

2. What does "incline" refer to in this problem?

Incline refers to the slope or angle at which the projectile is launched or moves during its flight. This can affect the velocity, acceleration, and trajectory of the projectile and must be taken into account when solving the problem.

3. What information is needed to solve a tough calc projectile problem with an incline?

To solve this type of problem, you will need to know the initial velocity of the projectile, the angle of incline, the acceleration due to gravity, and the distance or height of the object in question. Other variables, such as air resistance, may also be included depending on the specific problem.

4. How do you approach solving a tough calc projectile problem with an incline?

First, you must break down the problem into smaller components, such as the initial horizontal and vertical components of the projectile's velocity. Then, you can use calculus equations, such as the kinematic equations or the derivative of position with respect to time, to solve for the unknown variables. It is important to draw a diagram and label all known and unknown values to keep track of your calculations.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a tough calc projectile problem with an incline?

Some common mistakes to avoid include forgetting to convert units, using the wrong formula or equation, not considering the effects of air resistance or other external factors, and not drawing a clear and accurate diagram. It is also essential to double-check your calculations and make sure they are consistent with the given information and the laws of physics.