Total reluctance in a magnetic core

In summary, the total reluctance of a magnetic circuit is not always equivalent to the sum of the reluctances of each area. In some cases, areas may need to be added in parallel instead of simply added together. This can be seen in examples where two areas are added in parallel and then added to a third area. This is determined using the formula R = l/(μA). The examples provided in the documents referenced on pages 11 and 29 show a standard magnetic circuit where the air gap must also be taken into consideration. Further reading of these documents can provide a better understanding of the general principles behind this concept.
kevinb

Homework Statement

I am looking for a general explanation of when the total reluctance of a magnetic circuit is not equivalent to the sum of the reluctances if each area. In several examples the text has added 2 areas in parallel and then added the third area. I'm not 100% sure on when this is required.

Homework Equations

I use R=l/(μA) to determine the reluctance of each area, but don't know if/when reluctances need to be added in parallel.

The Attempt at a Solution

For example, if I have a shape like this:
0WZLM.jpg
where the shaded region is air and the rest (the white area) is iron, I calculated the reluctance for the left, middle, right and small air gap. However, is the total the simple addition of them or are the left and right "legs" in parallel?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The center is in series with the two outer loops which are in parallel.

See page 11 of 35 in http://www.ece.msstate.edu/~donohoe/ece3183magnetic_circuits_and_transformers.pdf

or page 29 of 33 in http://www1.mmu.edu.my/~wslim/lecture_notes/Chapter4.pdf

It's a fairly standard magnetic circuit. One must treat the air gap as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you very much. Those two documents were perfect explanations for this particular circuit, but I'll read them further so I gain a better grasp of the general principles as well.

Related to Total reluctance in a magnetic core

1. What is total reluctance in a magnetic core?

Total reluctance is a term used in electromagnetism to describe the opposition of a magnetic material to the flow of magnetic flux. It is a measure of how difficult it is for a magnetic field to pass through a material.

2. How is total reluctance calculated?

Total reluctance is calculated by dividing the length of the magnetic path by the permeability of the material. It is represented by the symbol R and is measured in units of reluctance (H^-1).

3. Why is total reluctance important in electromagnetism?

Total reluctance is an important concept in electromagnetism because it helps us understand the behavior of magnetic materials in electrical circuits. It determines the amount of magnetic flux that can be generated and the strength of the resulting magnetic field.

4. How does the total reluctance of a magnetic core affect its performance?

The total reluctance of a magnetic core affects its performance by influencing the amount of magnetic flux that can pass through it. A higher total reluctance means a weaker magnetic field, while a lower total reluctance results in a stronger magnetic field.

5. Can total reluctance be reduced in a magnetic core?

Yes, total reluctance can be reduced in a magnetic core by using materials with higher permeability, increasing the length of the magnetic path, or by increasing the cross-sectional area of the core. This can result in a more efficient and powerful electromagnet.