Mitochondria evolution from a common ancestor

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of mitochondria as evidence for evolution from a common ancestor, and the contrasting agendas of science and religion. It also clarifies that bacteria do not have intracellular organelles, but the symbiotic relationship between a eukaryotic cell and a prehistoric bacteria is significant in this context.
aychamo
So this morning, I wokeup and thought "mitochondria!" Weird huh? Why? Well, I thought of it as just another "proof" of evolution from a common ancestor. Not that anyone with an education should doubt it anyway, but just that we and bacteria have the same intracellular organelles should be pretty obvious we came from a common ancestor.

My favorite response in the science vs creation thing is that science has no agenda. All science cares about is truth and fact, to understand a process. Religion has to bend the truth to make it fit their agenda.

Biology news on Phys.org
We do not have the same intercellular organelles. Bacteria have no membrane bound organelles at all. I assume you were referring to the symbiotic relationship between what once was a bacteria (now mitochondria) and another prehistoric bacteria.

Nautica

I don't think bacteria are our ancestor. So it would be the symbiotic relationship of a eukaryotic cell with a prokaryote? And nautica is right, bacteria don't have any intracellular organelles.

1. How did mitochondria evolve from a common ancestor?

The current prevailing theory is that mitochondria evolved from a type of bacteria called alpha-proteobacteria. Through a process called endosymbiosis, these bacteria were engulfed and eventually formed a symbiotic relationship with a host cell, giving rise to the mitochondria we see in cells today.

2. When did mitochondria first appear in the evolutionary timeline?

The first evidence of mitochondria can be traced back to approximately 2 billion years ago, during the Great Oxygenation Event. This is when oxygen levels in the Earth's atmosphere began to increase, providing an aerobic environment for organisms to thrive, including those with mitochondria.

3. What is the significance of mitochondria in evolution?

Mitochondria are often referred to as the powerhouse of the cell, as they are responsible for producing the majority of a cell's energy through the process of cellular respiration. This allowed early organisms to become more efficient in their energy usage and paved the way for the development of more complex multicellular organisms.

4. How has the structure of mitochondria changed over time?

Mitochondria have undergone significant changes in structure throughout evolution. They started off as simple, single-celled organisms and have evolved to become complex, membrane-bound organelles within cells. They have also developed a highly specialized inner membrane that allows for efficient energy production.

5. Are there any other organisms besides animals that have mitochondria?

Yes, mitochondria are found in almost all eukaryotic organisms, including plants, fungi, and protists. However, the structure and function of mitochondria may vary slightly between different species, as they have evolved in unique ways to suit the needs of each organism.