Total probability conservation

In summary, the conversation discusses the operator H and its properties as a Hermitian operator. The first part of the question asks whether H is a Hermitian operator, and it is determined that it is not. The second part of the question asks about the conservation of total probability, which is shown to be equivalent to the wave function remaining normalized under time evolution. The proof for conservation of total probability is shown for when H is Hermitian, but it is then explored what happens when H is not Hermitian and when [H₀,T]≠0. It is concluded that as long as the expectation value <T> is non-zero, the probability conservation will fail.
Saptarshi Sarkar
Homework Statement
Given the Hamiltonian H = Ho + iT where Ho and T are Hermitian operators, find whether H is a Hermitian operator. Also find whether the total probability is conserved or not.
Relevant Equations
Η† = (Ho+iT)† = H† - iT† = H - iT != H + iT
I found out that the operator H is not a Hermitian operator but I didn't understand the second part of the question. What do I calculate the probability of?

Physics news on Phys.org
Saptarshi Sarkar said:
Homework Statement:: Given the Hamiltonian H = Ho + iT where Ho and T are Hermitian operators, find whether H is a Hermitian operator. Also find whether the total probability is conserved or not.
Homework Equations:: Η† = (Ho+iT)† = H† - iT† = H - iT != H + iT

I found out that the operator H is not a Hermitian operator but I didn't understand the second part of the question. What do I calculate the probability of?

Conservation of probability is equivalent to the wave function remaining normalised under time evolution.

Likes Saptarshi Sarkar
I know how to prove conservation of total probability when the ##H## is Hermitian. So conservation of total probability reads

$$
\int d^3x |\psi (x,t)|^2 = \int d^3x |\psi (x,t=0)|^2 .
$$

In terms of bra-ket notation the above equation reads:

\begin{align*}
<\psi (t) | \psi (t)> &\equiv \int d^3x <\psi (t) |x> <x| \psi (t)>\\
&\equiv \int d^3x |\psi (x,t)|^2 \\
&= \int d^3x |\psi (x,t=0)|^2\\
&= \int d^3x <\psi (0) |x> <x | \psi (0)>\\
&= <\psi (0) | \psi (0)> .
\end{align*}

Let us first take ##H## to be Hermitian. Assuming a dynamical equation:

$$
H |\psi (t) > = i \frac{d}{dt} |\psi (t) >
$$

where ##H## is time-independent, we can solve this with:

$$
|\psi (t) > = \exp (-i t H) |\psi (0)> .
$$

Now if ##H## is Hermitian then conservation of total probability is obvious:

\begin{align*}
<\psi (t) | \psi (t)> & <\psi (0) | \exp (i t H^\dagger) \exp (-itH) |\psi (0)>\\
& <\psi (0) | \exp (i t H) \exp (-itH) |\psi (0)>\\
&= <\psi (0) | \psi (0)> .
\end{align*}

This can also be proven in terms of eigenstates of ##H## (##H |E_n> = E_n |E_n>## where ##E_n## is real as ##H## is Hermitian)...Then

\begin{align*}
|\psi (t)> &= \exp (-itH) |\psi (0)>\\
&= \exp (-itH) \sum_n|E_n><E_n|\psi (0)>\\
&= \sum_n e^{-it E_n} |E_n><E_n| \psi(0)>
\end{align*}

and

\begin{align*}
<\psi (t) | \psi (t)> &= \sum_{m,n} (e^{i E_m t} <\psi (0) | E_m> <E_m|) ( e^{-iE_nt} |E_n> <E_n |\psi (0)>)\\
&= \sum_n <\psi (0) | E_n> <E_n |\psi (0)>\\
&= <\psi (0) | \psi (0)>
\end{align*}

where we used ##<E_m|E_n> = \delta_{mn}##.

Now, what if ##H## is not Hermitian? Take ##H = H_0 + iT##, and assuming again that ##H## is time-independent, then:

\begin{align*}
<\psi (t) | \psi (t)> & <\psi (0) | \exp (i t H^\dagger) \exp (-itH) |\psi (0)>\\
& <\psi (0) | \exp ( t T + i t H_0) \exp (-itH_0 + t T) |\psi (0)> .
\end{align*}

Now if we assume that ##[H_0 , T]= 0##, then first of all we can say that

$$
\exp (-itH_0 + t T) = \exp (itH_0) \exp (t T)
$$

and we can also say that ##H_0## and ##T## have simultaneous eigenstates:

\begin{align*}
H_0 |E_n> &= E_n |E_n>\\
T |E_n> &= T_n |E_n>
\end{align*}

where ##E_n## and ##T_n## are real as ##H## and ##T## are Hermitian. It follows that:

\begin{align*}
|\psi (t)> &= \exp (-itH) |\psi (0)>\\
&= \exp (-itH) \sum_n|E_n><E_n|\psi (0)>\\
&= \exp (t T) \exp (-itH_0) \sum_n|E_n><E_n|\psi (0)>\\
&= \sum_n e^{-it E_n + t T_n} |E_n><E_n| \psi(0)> .
\end{align*}

We could then calculate:

\begin{align*}
<\psi (t) | \psi (t)> &= \sum_{m,n} (e^{i E_m t + t T_m} <\psi (0) | E_m> <E_m|) ( e^{-iE_nt + t T_n} |E_n> <E_n |\psi (0)>)\\
&= \sum_n e^{2 t T_n} <\psi (0) | E_n> <E_n |\psi (0)> .
\end{align*}

which will, for general values of ##t##, not be equal to ##<\psi (0) | \psi (0)>##.I'm not entirely sure how to proceed if ##[H_0 , T] \not= 0##.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Likes Bo-Chien Huang and Saptarshi Sarkar
It is easier to differentiate with respect to time [itex] \int dx |\psi(x,t)^2 [/itex] and then use Schrodinger's equation for the derivatives of [itex] \psi[/itex] and [itex] \psi^*[/itex].

Likes Bo-Chien Huang
From ##i \hbar | \dot \psi \rangle = H | \psi \rangle = (H_0 + i T)| \psi \rangle##, we know ##| \dot \psi \rangle = \frac{1}{i \hbar} (H_0 + i T)| \psi \rangle## as well as its dual ##\langle \dot \psi | = \frac{1}{-i \hbar} \langle \psi |(H_0 - i T) ##.
Directly consider ##\frac{d}{dt} \langle \psi | \psi \rangle = \langle \dot \psi | \psi \rangle + \langle \psi | \dot \psi \rangle##.
$$ \begin{align*}\langle \dot \psi | \psi \rangle + \langle \psi | \dot \psi \rangle &= \frac{1}{-i \hbar} \langle \psi |(H_0 - i T) | \psi \rangle + | \dot \psi \rangle + \frac{1}{i \hbar} \langle \psi | (H_0 + i T)| \psi \rangle \\ &= \frac{1}{i \hbar} \langle \psi | 2 i T | \psi \rangle = \frac{2}{\hbar} \langle T \rangle \end{align*}$$
As long as the expectation value ##\langle T \rangle## is non-zero, the probability conservation fails.

Likes vanhees71
Bo-Chien Huang said:
From ##i \hbar | \dot \psi \rangle = H | \psi \rangle = (H_0 + i T)| \psi \rangle##, we know ##| \dot \psi \rangle = \frac{1}{i \hbar} (H_0 + i T)| \psi \rangle## as well as its dual ##\langle \dot \psi | = \frac{1}{-i \hbar} \langle \psi |(H_0 - i T) ##.
Directly consider ##\frac{d}{dt} \langle \psi | \psi \rangle = \langle \dot \psi | \psi \rangle + \langle \psi | \dot \psi \rangle##.
$$ \begin{align*}\langle \dot \psi | \psi \rangle + \langle \psi | \dot \psi \rangle &= \frac{1}{-i \hbar} \langle \psi |(H_0 - i T) | \psi \rangle + | \dot \psi \rangle + \frac{1}{i \hbar} \langle \psi | (H_0 + i T)| \psi \rangle \\ &= \frac{1}{i \hbar} \langle \psi | 2 i T | \psi \rangle = \frac{2}{\hbar} \langle T \rangle \end{align*}$$
As long as the expectation value ##\langle T \rangle## is non-zero, the probability conservation fails.
We usually prefer to not do all the work for the original poster. It is much better to give some guiding help and make the person work through the calculation themselves.

• Informative
Likes Bo-Chien Huang
nrqed said:
We usually prefer to not do all the work for the original poster. It is much better to give some guiding help and make the person work through the calculation themselves.
Ok, I get it.

Related to Total probability conservation

1. What is total probability conservation?

Total probability conservation is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the total probability of all possible outcomes of an event must equal 1. This means that in any given system, the sum of the probabilities of all possible outcomes must always add up to 1.

2. Why is total probability conservation important?

Total probability conservation is important because it allows us to accurately calculate the likelihood of an event occurring in a system. It ensures that all possible outcomes are accounted for and helps us understand the overall behavior of a system.

3. How is total probability conservation applied in science?

Total probability conservation is used in many areas of science, including physics, chemistry, and biology. It is often applied in statistical analysis to determine the likelihood of events or outcomes in a system. It is also used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of particles and in thermodynamics to understand the energy flow in a system.

4. Can total probability conservation be violated?

No, total probability conservation is a fundamental law of physics and cannot be violated. If the sum of probabilities of all possible outcomes does not equal 1, it means that there is something missing or unknown in the system that needs to be accounted for.

5. Are there any exceptions to total probability conservation?

There are no exceptions to total probability conservation in classical physics. However, in quantum mechanics, the concept of superposition allows for exceptions to this principle. In this case, the total probability of all possible outcomes can be greater than 1, but this is only applicable to certain quantum systems and is still subject to the laws of quantum mechanics.