How can I refresh my memory on trigonometry for AP Physics?

• Thread starter jessicag
  • Start date
In summary, the person is a senior who has just started AP physics and is seeking help with trigonometry. They are given a problem involving finding angles associated with trigonometry equations and another problem involving a right triangle. The expert explains the definitions of sine and cosine and how to use them to solve the problem.
jessicag
Well i just got into ap physics.Its my senior year and my counsler thinks i should and can take it. I haven't even taken trig yet. It wouldn't work out with my schedule to take both. So i picked physics. Now that you know my story I would like some help to refresh my memory on stuff,
directions say:find the angles associated with the trig. equations below.
a.)sin. angle=.0872. i got .0015 but don't know if its right. and another question.
4.)one angle of a right triangle is 26 degrees.The hypotenuse is 11 cm. Calculate the lengths of the other two sides.(i have know idea what to do on this one) i would appriecate the help thank you ~~~~

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Well the second one is based on the definitions of sine and cosine. In a right triangle either one of the smaller two angles is made by the hypothenuse (the longest side) meeting one of the other sides. The shorter side is called the adjacent side of that angle. The third side of the triangle is called the opposite side for that angle. So now the sine of the angle is the opposite side divided by the hypontenuse. And the cosine of that angle is the adjactent side divided by the hypotenuse.

So in your problem you have sine (26o) = opp side/11
and cosine (26o} = adj side/11.

Or opp side = 11 times sine(26o),
adj side = 11 times cosine (26o)

Think you can take it from there?

First of all, congratulations on taking AP Physics! It can be a challenging but rewarding course. As for refreshing your memory on trigonometry, there are a few things you can do.

1. Review basic trigonometric ratios: Start by reviewing the three basic trigonometric ratios - sine, cosine, and tangent. Remember that sine is opposite over hypotenuse, cosine is adjacent over hypotenuse, and tangent is opposite over adjacent. Make sure you understand how to use these ratios to find missing sides or angles in a right triangle.

2. Practice solving trigonometric equations: The best way to refresh your memory on trigonometry is to practice solving equations. For the first question, you can use a calculator to find the inverse sine of 0.0872, which is approximately 5 degrees. Make sure to double check your answer by plugging it back into the equation and seeing if it equals 0.0872.

3. Use online resources: There are many online resources available that offer trigonometry practice problems and explanations. Khan Academy, Math is Fun, and Math Warehouse are just a few examples. You can also search for specific topics, such as solving for missing sides or angles in a right triangle.

4. Review trigonometric identities: In AP Physics, you will likely encounter trigonometric identities, such as the Pythagorean identity and double angle identities. Take some time to review these and make sure you understand how to use them.

As for the second question, remember that in a right triangle, the sum of the squares of the two shorter sides is equal to the square of the hypotenuse (a^2 + b^2 = c^2). You can use this formula to find the missing side lengths. In this case, you know one angle (26 degrees) and the hypotenuse (11 cm), so you can use the cosine ratio to find the length of the adjacent side. Then, use the Pythagorean theorem to find the remaining side length.

I hope this helps! Don't be afraid to ask your teacher for extra help or clarification if you need it. Good luck in AP Physics!

1. What does it mean to be "refreshed"?

Being "refreshed" means to feel rejuvenated and energized, both physically and mentally.

2. Why do we need to be refreshed?

We need to be refreshed because our bodies and minds can become fatigued from daily activities, leading to reduced productivity and overall well-being.

3. How can we refresh ourselves?

There are many ways to refresh ourselves, such as taking breaks throughout the day, getting enough sleep, exercising, and engaging in activities that bring us joy and relaxation.

4. What are the benefits of being refreshed?

Being refreshed has many benefits, including increased energy and focus, improved mood, and better overall health and well-being.

5. How often do we need to be refreshed?

The frequency of needing to be refreshed varies for each individual, but it is important to prioritize self-care and make time for refreshing activities on a regular basis.