Total order relations on a finite set

In summary: The third stage of knowledge usually is similar to the first one. If you use the perspective of the second stage, then you have the risk of confusing the former with the latter.Thanks so much Fernando for introduce me to this place. Also thanks both Fernando and Evgeny for answering my question.Now, this is my problem: 1) Actually the original question is: Let A be a set containing n elements. Prove that a total order on A contains exactly \dfrac{1}{2} n(n-1) order pairs. 2) My answer is exactly the same as Fernando. My first thought was then that I was missing something about understanding the definition of "total order".
Fernando Revilla
Gold Member
MHB
I quote a question from Yahoo! Answers

How many elements are there in a total order?
So, let's suppose a given set containing n elements . How many elements, in terms of n, are there in a total order on this set?

I have given a link to the topic there so the OP can see my complete response.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
If $S=\{a_1,a_2,\ldots,a_n\}$, and $\le$ is a total order relation on $S$, for all $x,y\in S$ we have $x\le y$ or $y\le x$. This means that every total order relation has the form: $$a_{n_1}< a_{n_2}<\ldots <a_{n_n}$$ or equivalently, is a permutation on $S$. So, there are $n$ elements in a total order relation and there are $P_n=n!$ total order relations induced over $S$.

Fernando Revilla said:
This means that every total order relation has the form: $$a_{n_1}< a_{n_2}<\ldots <a_{n_n}$$ or equivalently, is a permutation on $S$. So, there are $n$ elements in a total order relation and there are $P_n=n!$ total order relations induced over $S$.
A couple of remarks. First, it's not good to write $n_n$: then $n$ denotes both a function $\mathbb{N}\to\mathbb{N}$ and an element of $\mathbb{N}$ (an index). We could denote the function by $k_i$; then the ordering would look $a_{k_1}< a_{k_2}<\dots <a_{k_n}$.

Second, the question is,
How many elements, in terms of n, are there in a total order on this set?
And what is a total order? It is a binary relation, i.e., a set of pairs of indices. If this is indeed what the question is asking and if the total order in question is non-strict (i.e., reflexive), then the answer is $n(n-1)/2$.

Also, a couple of remarks

Evgeny.Makarov said:
A couple of remarks. First, it's not good to write $n_n$: then $n$ denotes both a function $\mathbb{N}\to\mathbb{N}$ and an element of $\mathbb{N}$ (an index). We could denote the function by $k_i$; then the ordering would look $a_{k_1}< a_{k_2}<\dots <a_{k_n}$.

Yes, it is good. Easily understood, if $\sigma$ is a permutation on $\{1,2,\ldots,n\}$, $a_{n_k}$ is a notation for $a_{\sigma (k)}$

Second, the question is,And what is a total order? It is a binary relation, i.e., a set of pairs of indices. If this is indeed what the question is asking and if the total order in question is non-strict (i.e., reflexive), then the answer is $n(n-1)/2$.

My interpretation was: how many order relations in terms of $n$ are there on a set with $n$ elements? Also when I wrote there are $n$ elements in a total order relation I meant the number $n$ of elements in each permutation (which univoquely determine each total order relation).

Fernando Revilla said:
Easily understood, if $\sigma$ is a permutation on $\{1,2,\ldots,n\}$, $a_{n_k}$ is a notation for $a_{\sigma (k)}$.
Yes, $a_{n_k}$ is fine, but $a_{n_n}$ results in using $n$ to denote two different things, which is a name clash.

Fernando Revilla said:
My interpretation was: how many order relations in terms of $n$ are there on a set with $n$ elements?
Yes, we provided several interpretations of what the question may mean. If the OP wants further clarification, he/she should say which interpretation is correct.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
Yes, $a_{n_k}$ is fine, but $a_{n_n}$ results in using $n$ to denote two different things, which is a name clash.

The third stage of knowledege (notations in this case) usually is similar to the first one. If you use the perspective of the second stage, then you have the risk of confusing the former with the latter.

Thanks so much Fernando for introduce me to this place. Also thanks both Fernando and Evgeny for answering my question. Now, this is my problem:

1) Actually the original question is: Let \(\displaystyle A\) be a set containing \(\displaystyle n\) elements. Prove that a total order on \(\displaystyle A\) contains exactly \(\displaystyle \dfrac{1}{2} n(n-1)\) order pairs.

2) My answer is exactly the same as Fernando. My first thought was then that I was missing something about understanding the definition of "total order". Then I decided to ask the question to compare answers.

3) These are my definitions just the way I understand them to be (please tell me if something is wrong):

- A total order on a set is a binary relation that is antisimetric, comparable, reflexive and transitive.
- A binary relation \(\displaystyle R\) is antisimetric on \(\displaystyle X\) if an only if \(\displaystyle \forall Y\forall Z(Y\in X\wedge Z\in X \wedge Y\neq Z \longrightarrow (Y,Z)\notin R \vee (Z,Y) \notin R)\).
- A binary relation \(\displaystyle R\) is comparable on \(\displaystyle X\) if and only if \(\displaystyle \forall Y\forall Z (Y\in X \wedge Z\in X \wedge Y\neq Z\longrightarrow (Y,Z)\in R \vee (Z,Y)\in R)\)
- A binary relation \(\displaystyle R\) is reflexive on \(\displaystyle X\) if and only if \(\displaystyle \forall Y(Y\in X \longrightarrow (Y,Y)\in R)\)
- A binary relation is transitive on \(\displaystyle X\) if and only if \(\displaystyle \forall Y, Z,K\in X((Y,Z)\in R \wedge (Z,K)\in R \longrightarrow (Y,K)\in R)\)

4.- Evgeny, could you please explain your answer. It would be great if you could compare both answers by using a set with few elements, let say \(\displaystyle \{X,Y,Z \}\).

Daniela said:
1) Actually the original question is: Let \(\displaystyle A\) be a set containing \(\displaystyle n\) elements. Prove that a total order on \(\displaystyle A\) contains exactly \(\displaystyle \dfrac{1}{2} n(n-1)\) order pairs.

Hello Daniela, welcome to MHB!

That formula is not true. For example, the sequences $X<Y<Z$, $X<Z<Y,\ldots,Z<Y<X$ determine all the total order relations on $\{X,Y,Z \}$. That is $3!=6$. The elements of the order relation defined by $X<Y<Z$ (i.e. the pairs $(S,T)$ such that $S\le T$) are: $$(X,X),(Y,Y),(Z,Z), (X,Y),(X,Z),(Y,Z)$$ That is, $3+ \binom{3}{2}=3+\frac{3\cdot 2}{3}=3+3=6$ which is different from $\frac{1}{2}3(3-1)$. In general, the elements of a total order relation defined on a set with $n$ elements is $$n+\binom{n}{2}=n+\frac{n(n-1)}{2}=\frac{n(n+1)}{2}=\binom{n+1}{2}$$

P.S. The only way that the formula $\frac{1}{2} n(n-1)$ works is if we don't consider the elements of the diagonal, but in such a case, the reflexive property is not fulfilled.

Related to Total order relations on a finite set

What is a total order relation on a finite set?

A total order relation on a finite set is a binary relation that satisfies the properties of reflexivity, transitivity, and totality. This means that for any two elements in the set, one must be greater than or equal to the other, and every element in the set must have a defined relationship with every other element.

What are some examples of total order relations on a finite set?

Some examples of total order relations on a finite set include the "less than or equal to" relation on the set of real numbers, the "is a subset of" relation on the set of all subsets of a given set, and the "divides" relation on the set of positive integers.

How is a total order relation different from a partial order relation?

A total order relation is stricter than a partial order relation. In a total order relation, every element in the set must have a defined relationship with every other element, whereas in a partial order relation, some elements may not have a defined relationship with each other.

What is the importance of total order relations in mathematics?

Total order relations are important in mathematics because they provide a way to compare and order elements in a set. This is useful in many areas of mathematics, such as in algebraic structures, graph theory, and combinatorics.

Can a finite set have more than one total order relation?

No, a finite set can only have one total order relation. This is because a total order relation must satisfy the properties of reflexivity, transitivity, and totality, and having more than one relation would result in conflicting definitions of these properties.