Total Internal Reflection

In summary, the homework statement is trying to find the lowest angle of θ1 given the apex angle is 60°. They state that r = ϕ + θc and how to find r. However, they are not seeing it correctly and need a diagram or something to help them.
ParoXsitiC

Homework Statement

Find the lowest angle of θ1 given the apex angle is 60°. Air (n=1) is on the outside and inside (n=1.5)

0fV69.png

ϕ is defined as 60 degrees.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

θc = sin-1([itex]\frac{1.00}{1.50}[/itex]) = 41.81°

To my understanding, θ1 must angle in such a way to make r (the angle of refraction) to be equal to the critical angle. At this point you will start having TIR.

They state that r = ϕ + θc
How? I am not seeing it.

Once I found r, I can just use snells law to find θ1 - but I don't understand how to find r.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ParoXsitiC said:

Homework Statement

Find the lowest angle of θ1 given the apex angle is 60°. Air (n=1) is on the outside and inside (n=1.5)

http://i.minus.com/1334731242/sW_NUCsWAiRgKlAAkKeqdw/ionULwjtTVYG1.png

ϕ is defined as 60 degrees.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

θc = sin-1([itex]\frac{1.00}{1.50}[/itex]) = 41.81°

To my understanding, θ1 must angle in such a way to make r (the angle of refraction) to be equal to the critical angle. At this point you will start having TIR.

They state that r = ϕ + θc
How? I am not seeing it.

Once I found r, I can just use snells law to find θ1 - but I don't understand how to find r.

Need some sort of diagram so the position of this θ1 is knows.

Last edited by a moderator:
PeterO said:
Need some sort of diagram so the position of this θ1 is knows.

I give one but perhaps its not showing for you since its minus.com, here it is on imgur

0fV69.png

ParoXsitiC said:
I give one but perhaps its not showing for you since its minus.com, here it is on imgur

0fV69.png

Image came through that time.

If you look at the top triangle - the one with the 60o angle, the other two angles are (90 - r)o and (90 - θc)o

That means [(90-r) + ϕ + (90-θc)] = 180

so 180 -r + ϕ - θc = 180

or -r + ϕ - θc = 0 which means r = ϕ - θc

Notice that is slightly different to what was in your original solution. I suspect something was wrong.

Total internal reflection occurs when a light ray travels from a medium with a higher refractive index to a medium with a lower refractive index, and the angle of incidence is greater than the critical angle. In this case, the critical angle is 41.81°, which means that if the angle of incidence (θ1) is greater than 41.81°, total internal reflection will occur.

In order to find the lowest angle of θ1, we need to find the angle at which r (the angle of refraction) is equal to the critical angle. This can be done by using the formula r = ϕ + θc, where ϕ is the apex angle (60°) and θc is the critical angle (41.81°). Substituting these values, we get r = 60° + 41.81° = 101.81°.

This means that when the angle of incidence (θ1) is equal to 101.81° or greater, total internal reflection will occur. Therefore, the lowest angle of θ1 that will result in total internal reflection is 101.81°. Any angle between 41.81° and 101.81° will result in partial reflection and partial refraction.

Related to Total Internal Reflection

What is Total Internal Reflection?

Total Internal Reflection is a phenomenon that occurs when a light ray traveling through a denser material hits the boundary of a less dense material at an angle greater than the critical angle, causing the light to reflect back into the denser material rather than refracting through the boundary.

What are the conditions required for Total Internal Reflection to occur?

There are two main conditions for Total Internal Reflection to occur: the light must be traveling through a denser material, and the angle of incidence must be greater than the critical angle, which can be calculated using Snell's law.

What are some real-world applications of Total Internal Reflection?

Total Internal Reflection has many practical applications, such as in fiber optics communication, where light travels through a thin glass fiber via repeated total internal reflections. It is also used in optical devices like prisms, binoculars, and periscopes.

Does Total Internal Reflection only occur with visible light?

No, Total Internal Reflection can occur with any electromagnetic wave, including infrared and ultraviolet light. It can also occur with other types of waves, such as sound waves, when traveling through different mediums.

Can Total Internal Reflection be observed in everyday life?

Yes, Total Internal Reflection can be observed in everyday life in various situations, such as seeing a rainbow in a water droplet, the reflection of light in a glass of water, or the sparkle of a diamond due to the total internal reflection of light within the gem.