Total Internal Reflection Confusion

In summary, the conversation is about the transmission of signals through fiber optical cables via total internal reflection. The speaker is perplexed about the critical angle and how it affects the transmission. They also mention that the critical angle can vary depending on the materials used to make the cable.
ferrarilover2000
Hi,
I'm new here...
I already read about how the signals are transmited through the fibre optical cables... total internal reflection

But what I don't understand is the another day I was scribbling it on a piece of paper (the total internal reflection that is)... I noticed that from the way I drew it, some had very small angles and it dosen't look like it's bigger than the criticle angle...

If that is so than the signals would have stopped right there and couldn't be transmited anymore... :confused:

Oh Me God please someone... save me! :rolleyes:

Thanx :-p

Science news on Phys.org
It seems to me that you think of the critical angle as some sort of constant.

Let me just say that the critical angle is a variable and therefore is able to differ. Optical cables are structured so that even small angles are internally reflected.

Hmmm...
Thanks for the reply recon...

So you are saying that the material for the fibre optical cables have a smaller critical angle?

Thanx :D

I'm, not sure I understand how your scribbles looked. Remember that fibers have a very thin diameter and that there's a limit to how much they will bend.

The critical angle depends on what materials you use to make the fiber.

Related to Total Internal Reflection Confusion

1. What is total internal reflection confusion?

Total internal reflection confusion is a phenomenon that occurs when light travels from a higher refractive index medium to a lower refractive index medium, and the angle of incidence is larger than the critical angle. This results in all of the light being reflected back into the original medium, creating confusion or distortion in the perceived image.

2. How does total internal reflection confusion affect everyday objects?

Total internal reflection confusion can affect everyday objects in a few ways. For example, it can cause objects placed in water, such as a fish in an aquarium, to appear distorted or moved from their actual position. It can also cause objects to appear to be floating in air, as in the case of a straw in a glass of water.

3. What causes total internal reflection confusion?

Total internal reflection confusion is caused by the difference in refractive indexes between two mediums. When light travels from a medium with a higher refractive index to a medium with a lower refractive index, it can create confusion if the angle of incidence is too large. This is due to the light being reflected back into the original medium instead of passing through the boundary.

4. Can total internal reflection confusion be controlled or prevented?

Total internal reflection confusion can be controlled or prevented by using anti-reflective coatings on surfaces, such as on eyeglasses or camera lenses. These coatings help to reduce the difference in refractive indexes and minimize the amount of light that is reflected back, resulting in a clearer image. In some cases, the angle of incidence can also be adjusted to prevent total internal reflection confusion.

5. Are there any practical applications of total internal reflection confusion?

Yes, there are several practical applications of total internal reflection confusion. One example is in fiber optic cables, where the phenomenon is used to transmit light signals over long distances without losing much of its intensity. Total internal reflection confusion is also utilized in some types of microscopy and optical sensors.