Total Internal Energy of an Ideal Gas

In summary, argon is stored in a container of volume 2L and a pressure of 5 atmospheres. The amount of gas present is 0.2 moles. The absolute temperature of the gas is 1538 K and the number of atoms of gas in the container is 1.204x10^23. The total mass of the gas is 8g. The total internal energy of the gas is 911 J.
daleklama

Homework Statement

Argon is stored in a container of volume 2L and a pressure of 5 atmospheres. The amount of gas present is 0.2 moles. Find:

(i) The absolute temperature of the gas
(ii) The number of atoms of gas in the container
(iii) The total mass of the gas
(iv) The total internal energy of the gas.

You may assume argon behaves as an ideal gas, the atomic mass of argon is 40 g/mol.

Homework Equations

PV = nRT
dU = Uf – Ui = Q – W (First Law of Thermodynamics)

The Attempt at a Solution

(i) I used PV = nRT, made all the relevant conversions and got 364.4 K. Think it's right.
(ii) I multiplied 0.2 (number of moles) by Avegadro's constant (6.02x10^23) and got 1.204x10^23 atoms. Think it's right.
(iii) I'm not sure if this is right... To find the total mass of the gas, knowing that the atomic mass is 40g/mol, I just multiplied 40 by 0.2 and got 8g?
(iv) I haven't a clue. :( The only equation I can find for total internal energy is the First Law of Thermodynamics above, but as far as I know, I don't have any of those things or know how to find them.

Thanks very much for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
daleklama said:
(i) I used PV = nRT, made all the relevant conversions and got 364.4 K. Think it's right.
I get a different number. P = 5 x 101,325 Pa; V = .002 m^3; n = .2 mol; R = 8.314 J/K mol
(ii) I multiplied 0.2 (number of moles) by Avegadro's constant (6.02x10^23) and got 1.204x10^23 atoms. Think it's right.
Ok.
(iii) I'm not sure if this is right... To find the total mass of the gas, knowing that the atomic mass is 40g/mol, I just multiplied 40 by 0.2 and got 8g?
Right. This is correct because Argon is a noble gas so it is a monatomic gas.
(iv) I haven't a clue. :( The only equation I can find for total internal energy is the First Law of Thermodynamics above, but as far as I know, I don't have any of those things or know how to find them.
Use U = nCvT

AM

Aw, brilliant, I think I have it, thanks!

(apologies about the temperature calculation, the question is actually 3 atmospheres and that's what I used, I accidentally typed 5 on here, sorry!)

U = n Cv T

where n = 0.2
T = 364.4 K
and Cv = 3/2 R = 12.47

when I put them all into the equation I get 911 J.

Thanks a million for your help, very much appreciated :)

Related to Total Internal Energy of an Ideal Gas

What is the definition of total internal energy of an ideal gas?

The total internal energy of an ideal gas is the sum of all the kinetic energies and potential energies of the gas molecules. It is a measure of the total energy contained within the gas.

How is the total internal energy of an ideal gas related to temperature?

The total internal energy of an ideal gas is directly proportional to its temperature. As the temperature increases, the kinetic energy of the gas molecules also increases, resulting in an increase in the total internal energy.

What factors affect the total internal energy of an ideal gas?

The total internal energy of an ideal gas is affected by the number of gas molecules, the temperature, and the volume of the gas. It is also affected by the type of gas and the type of intermolecular forces present.

How is the total internal energy of an ideal gas calculated?

The total internal energy of an ideal gas can be calculated using the equation U = (3/2) * nRT, where U is the internal energy, n is the number of moles of gas, R is the gas constant, and T is the temperature in Kelvin.

Is the total internal energy of an ideal gas constant?

No, the total internal energy of an ideal gas is not constant. It can change depending on the factors that affect it, such as temperature, volume, and number of gas molecules.