Total energy vs. energy in a finite region

In summary, the Noether's theorem in field theory states that if the Lagrangian does not depend on the spacetime position, the stress-energy tensor is conserved. This means that T^00, the energy density at a given spacetime point x, is conserved. Integrating this h(x) on the hypersurface x^0 = t gives the total energy at time t, which is independent of t. However, this does not necessarily mean that the observable H(R_t), which represents the energy contained in a finite region R_t, is an eigenvector of H(t), the total energy operator. There may be cases where they do not share the same eigenvectors. It is important to carefully verify the assumptions and
giova7_89
I was thinking about the following thing: we know that if the Lagrangian in field theory doesn't depend on the spacetime position, the Noether's theorem says that the stress-energy tensor is conserved, and that T^00 is the energy density at spacetime point x.

Then if one integrates this h(x) on the hypersurface x^0 = t, one gets the total energy at time t (and this total energy (operator) called H(t) doesn't depend on t, etc.). Then, I also think that it must be true that (because of relativistic causality):

[h(x),h(y)] = 0 if (x-y)^2 < 0

With that said, I thought that if I integrate h(x) on a finite region (which I will call R_t) which is contained in the hypersurface x^0 = t, the observable I will get will be "the energy in the region R_t": I will call this observable H(R_t).

Now I calculate the commutator of H(t) with H(R_t). This is equal to:

∫∫d^4xd^4y [h(x),h(y)]

where x belongs to the hypersurface x^0 = t and y belongs to R_t. Now this commutator is equal to 0 because for each couple of x and y one has (x-y)^2 < 0 because x^0 = y^0 = t(except when one has also x^i = y^i, but then one has [h(x),h(x)] which is 0, too).

Then I concluded that these two observables commute, and then the eigenvectors of the total energy must be eigenvectors of the energy contained in R_t.

I trusted this result being correct, and so I wanted to verify it in the free case, where one knows explicitly the eigenvectors of the total energy.

I "charged head on", and tried to apply directly the operator H(R_t) to the vacuum (the one which satisfies H(t)|0> = 0|0> = 0)...), to see which was its eigenvalue, but from my calculations it didn't even seem that the vacuum was an eigenvector of H(R_t).

So I'm beginning to doubt my reasoning about those two commuting observables... Can anyone give me some advice?

Physics news on Phys.org
Then I concluded that these two observables commute, and then the eigenvectors of the total energy must be eigenvectors of the energy contained in R_t.
Let's see, how do you know this? That's not what the theorem says - it only says they have a set of eigenvectors in common.

Counterexample: J2 and Jz commute. But an eigenvector of J2 is not necessarily an eigenvector of Jz. And an eigenvector of Jz is not necessarily an eigenvector of J2.

Yep, you're right...

Related to Total energy vs. energy in a finite region

What is the difference between total energy and energy in a finite region?

Total energy refers to the sum of all forms of energy within a system, including kinetic, potential, thermal, and chemical energy. Energy in a finite region refers to the amount of energy contained within a specific, limited area or volume of the system. In other words, total energy is a global measure, while energy in a finite region is a local measure.

Why is it important to consider total energy and energy in a finite region?

Understanding the distribution and balance of total energy and energy in a finite region can provide insights into the behavior and dynamics of a system. It can also help identify areas of high or low energy density, which can be useful in various applications, such as energy storage and resource management.

How do you calculate total energy and energy in a finite region?

Total energy can be calculated by adding up the individual energies of all the components within a system. Energy in a finite region can be calculated by determining the energy contained within a specific area or volume of the system. This can be done using mathematical equations and physical measurements.

What factors can affect the distribution of total energy and energy in a finite region?

The distribution of total energy and energy in a finite region can be affected by various factors, such as the size and shape of the system, the type of energy present, and the interactions between different components within the system. External factors, such as temperature and pressure, can also play a role in the distribution of energy.

How can understanding total energy and energy in a finite region be applied in real-world situations?

The knowledge of total energy and energy in a finite region can be applied in various fields, such as engineering, physics, and environmental science. It can be used to design more efficient systems, predict the behavior of complex systems, and optimize energy usage and distribution. It can also aid in the development of renewable energy sources and sustainable energy practices.