Total electric field within an inductor

In summary, the author argues that, because the inductor coils have negligible resistance, a negligibly small electric field is required to make charge move through the coils, and hence the electric field within the coil must be zero. However, he argues that this same reasoning can be applied to a circular loop of wire with a changing magnetic flux through it, which apparently causes a problem.
epsilonjon
Hi.

I have just started learning about inductors, and this is the method my book uses to show that Kirchhoff's second law is still valid even with inductors in a circuit, and to calculate the voltage drop across an inductor:

"According to Kirchhoff's loop rule, the algebraic sum of the potential differences around any closed circuit must be zero because the electric field produced by charges distributed around the circuit is conservative. We denote this such a conservative field as [tex]\vec{E_{c}}[/tex].

When an inductor is included in the circuit, the situation changes. The magnetically induced electric field within the coils of the inductor is not conservative. We denote this field as [tex]\vec{E_{n}}[/tex]. We need to think very carefully about the roles of the various fields. Let's assume we are dealing with an inductor whose coils have negligible resistance. Then a hegligibly small electric field is requiresd to make charge move through the coils, so the total electric field [tex]\vec{E_{c}} + \vec{E_{n}}[/tex] within the coils must be zero, even though neither field is individually zero. Because [tex]\vec{E_{c}}[/tex] is nonzero, we know there have to be accumulations of charge on the terminals of the inductor and the surfaces of its conductors, to produce this field."

The author then goes on to use this, together with Faraday's law and the self-induced emf of the inductor, to work out the voltage drop across it. He concludes that we are fine in using Kirchhoff's second law, so long as we are defining the voltages in terms of the conservative part of the field.

I am trying to satisfy myself that this is true, but I have a problem: what if I apply the same thinking (regarding the total electric field being zero) to just a circular loop of wire in a changing magnetic field?

I know that an electric field will be induced which is non-conservative. And, as before, the wire has negligible resistance so the total electric field in the loop must be zero. But since [tex]\vec{E}=\vec{E_{c}}+\vec{E_{n}}[/tex] , [tex]\vec{E_{c}}[/tex] must be nonzero, and there must be an accumulation of charge on the terminals... oh wait, there are no terminals like before? So how is there an accumulation of charge, and where does the non-conservative electric field come from?! Now I'm confused!

Please can someone help me? :frown:

Cheers, Jon.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand what the article is about. Yes, the induced electric field is not conservative, but the loop is not closed, and electromotive force is fixed. What's the problem?

He argues that, because the inductor coils have negligible resistance, this means that a negligibly small electric field is required to make charge move through the coils, and hence the electric field within the coil must be zero. This seems reasonable to me.

My question is: what if i apply this same reasoning to a circular loop of conducting wire with a changing magnetic flux through it?

I know that an electric field will be induced which is non-conservative. And, as before, the wire has negligible resistance so the total electric field in the loop must be zero. But since [tex]\vec{E}=\vec{E_{c}}+\vec{E_{n}}[/tex] , [tex]\vec{E_{c}}[/tex] must be nonzero, and there must be an accumulation of charge on the terminals... oh wait, there are no terminals like before? So how is there an accumulation of charge, and where does the non-conservative electric field come from?

That is what I don't understand.

Thanks, Jon.

This might have something related to the long running MIT professor's thread!:smile:

I am questioning how electrodynamics threat induced emf, back emf and so far nobody reply yet!

Last edited:
yungman said:
This might have something related to the long running MIT professor's thread!:smile:

I am questioning how electrodynamics threat induced emf, back emf and so far nobody reply yet!
Okay, thanks, I'll watch the video and see if I can make any more sense of it myself.

In the mean time, is anyone else able to explain please? :frown:

Related to Total electric field within an inductor

1. What is the definition of "total electric field within an inductor"?

The total electric field within an inductor is the sum of all electric fields that are present within the inductor. It includes both the self-induced electric field created by the changing magnetic field within the inductor, as well as any external electric fields that may be acting on the inductor.

2. How is the total electric field within an inductor calculated?

The total electric field within an inductor can be calculated using the equation E = -L(dI/dt), where E is the total electric field, L is the inductance of the inductor, and dI/dt is the rate of change of current flowing through the inductor. This equation is derived from Faraday's law of induction.

3. What is the relationship between the total electric field and the current flowing through an inductor?

The total electric field within an inductor is directly proportional to the rate of change of current flowing through the inductor. This means that as the current increases or decreases, the total electric field will also increase or decrease, respectively.

4. How does the total electric field within an inductor affect the behavior of the inductor in a circuit?

The total electric field within an inductor plays a crucial role in the behavior of the inductor in a circuit. It causes the inductor to resist changes in current, resulting in the inductor acting as a storage device for electrical energy. It also causes a delay in the flow of current in the circuit, which can have implications for the overall functioning of the circuit.

5. What factors can affect the total electric field within an inductor?

The total electric field within an inductor can be affected by several factors, including the inductance of the inductor, the rate of change of current, and any external electric fields that may be present. The physical properties of the inductor, such as its size and shape, can also impact the total electric field. Additionally, the resistance and capacitance of the circuit can also affect the total electric field within the inductor.