Total Charge on the Surface of a Drum

In summary, the question asks for the total quantity of charge that must reside on the surface of the drum with a given surface area and electric field. The solution is found by using the equation Q=EA ϵ0. If the surface area is increased to accommodate larger sheets of paper, the same electric field is desired. The new surface area and electric field values are used in the equation to calculate the new total quantity of charge needed. The phrase "increased to" refers to the larger surface area being used.
y0tsubato
Hi everyone-This is my first time posting a homework question. I'm a little stuck. I appreciate any help to clue me in the right direction.

Homework Statement

If the drum has a surface area of 6.25×10−2 , what total quantity of charge must reside on the surface of the drum?

I got this right by using Q=EA ϵ0

If the surface area of the drum is increased to 0.124 so that larger sheets of paper can be used, what total quantity of charge is required to produce the same 1.30×105 electric field just above the surface?

Homework Equations

permittivity of free space to be = 8.85×10−12
Q=EA ϵ0
electric field = 1.30*10^5
surface area= 6.25*10^-2

The Attempt at a Solution

(8.85*10^-12)(0.124)(6.25*10^-2)
I used the above because I thought it would be just a matter of multiplying the surface area and dividing by the electric field.

Physics news on Phys.org
The solution was very easy once I understood. My main problem was interpreting the phrase, "increased to". I kept trying to use the original surface area given.

Related to Total Charge on the Surface of a Drum

What is the total charge on the surface of a drum?

The total charge on the surface of a drum is the sum of all the positive and negative charges present on the surface. It is a measure of the overall charge distribution on the surface of the drum.

How is the total charge on the surface of a drum calculated?

The total charge on the surface of a drum can be calculated by adding up the individual charges on each point of the surface. This can be done using mathematical equations or by using instruments such as a charge sensor.

What factors can affect the total charge on the surface of a drum?

The total charge on the surface of a drum can be affected by various factors such as the type of material the drum is made of, the humidity and temperature of the environment, and the presence of any external electric fields.

Why is the total charge on the surface of a drum important?

The total charge on the surface of a drum is important because it can affect the drum's behavior and performance. For example, if the drum has a high charge, it can attract or repel other objects or produce a different sound compared to a drum with a lower charge.

How can the total charge on the surface of a drum be controlled?

The total charge on the surface of a drum can be controlled by using anti-static materials, grounding the drum, or adjusting the temperature and humidity of the surrounding environment. It can also be controlled by manipulating the charges on the drum using external electric fields.