Total Charge on the Cylinder (Gauss' Law)

In summary, the cylindrical drum of a copy machine has a length of .38 m and a radius of .05 m. The total charge on the cylinder can be calculated using the equation Q = 2π r L E/ε0, where E is the electric field very close to the surface midway along the length of the drum. The top and bottom flat circular ends of the drum having no charge does not affect this calculation. Additionally, the equation for surface charge density, E = σ/2ε0, may also be useful in solving this problem.
Alouette

Homework Statement

The cylindrical drum of a copy machine is .38 m long with .05 m radius. If charge is uniformly distributed over the cylindrical surface (the top and bottom flat circular ends of the drum have no charge) and the electric field very close to this surface midway along the length of the drum is 1.0x10^5 N/C, what is the total charge on the cylinder?

Homework Equations

Electric flux [itex]\Phi[/itex] = Q / [itex]\epsilon[/itex]o

Electric flux [itex]\Phi[/itex] = E*2*[itex]\pi[/itex]*r*L

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought I could use these two equations to solve for Q, just by dividing:

E2πrL*Eo

...but that doesn't give the right answer. I'm unsure if the top and bottom of cylinder having no charge has something to do with it not being this simple. Is this hunch right?

I also have the equation for surface charge density which is E = σ/2εo ,yet I'm unsure if this has much use here...so lost..

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Alouette said:

Homework Statement

The cylindrical drum of a copy machine is .38 m long with .05 m radius. If charge is uniformly distributed over the cylindrical surface (the top and bottom flat circular ends of the drum have no charge) and the electric field very close to this surface midway along the length of the drum is 1.0x10^5 N/C, what is the total charge on the cylinder?

Homework Equations

Electric flux [itex]\Phi[/itex] = Q / [itex]\epsilon[/itex]o

Electric flux [itex]\Phi[/itex] = E*2*[itex]\pi[/itex]*r*L

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought I could use these two equations to solve for Q, just by dividing:

E2πrL/Eo

...but that doesn't give the right answer. I'm unsure if the top and bottom of cylinder having no charge has something to do with it not being this simple. Is this hunch right?

I also have the equation for surface charge density which is E = σ/2εo ,yet I'm unsure if this has much use here...so lost..
Check your algebra.

Solving Q/ε0 = 2π r L E for Q does not give: Q = E2πrL/ε0 .

Sorry meant E*Eo*2*π*r*L

Alouette said:
Sorry meant E*Eo*2*π*r*L
That should give the correct answer.

Duh..thanks alot! Actually answered, I appreciate it! :D

Related to Total Charge on the Cylinder (Gauss' Law)

What is the concept of Gauss' Law?

Gauss' Law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that relates the distribution of electric charges to the electric field they create. It states that the total electric flux through a closed surface is equal to the net charge enclosed by that surface.

How does Gauss' Law apply to a cylinder?

In the case of a cylinder, a closed surface can be imagined that encloses the cylinder. The total electric flux through this surface is equal to the net charge enclosed by the cylinder, which can be calculated using the formula Q = ε0 * E * A, where Q is the charge, ε0 is the permittivity of free space, E is the electric field, and A is the area of the cylinder.

What is the significance of the total charge on a cylinder?

The total charge on a cylinder is an important quantity as it affects the strength of the electric field around the cylinder. The higher the charge, the stronger the electric field will be, and vice versa.

Can Gauss' Law be used to find the electric field at any point around the cylinder?

Yes, Gauss' Law can be used to find the electric field at any point around the cylinder by using the formula E = Q / (2πε0rL), where Q is the total charge on the cylinder, r is the distance from the center of the cylinder, and L is the length of the cylinder.

Are there any limitations to using Gauss' Law to calculate the total charge on a cylinder?

One limitation is that Gauss' Law assumes a symmetric charge distribution, which may not always be the case for a cylinder. Additionally, it may not be applicable in situations where the electric field is changing over time, as it is a static law. Other factors such as material properties and external influences may also affect the accuracy of the calculation.