Total Battery Mass for Equal Efficiency

In summary: A battery is essentially a "container" for energy. The equivalent in a gasoline powered car is the gas tank. If we allow for "refilling" the battery for its useful life, we need to allow for "refilling" the gas tank for its useful life (many thousands of times before it might rust out?).I agree. That calculation should be included when solving for the weight of fuel vs. the weight of battery.
PlatoDescartes

Homework Statement

[/B]
A 12 Volt lead-acid car battery, engineered for "up to 500 or more charge/discharge cycles," has a rating of 330.0 Ampere-hours. It sells for $ 262.00.
Part B: The battery has a mass of 32.7 kg. What total mass of such batteries would be required to deliver the same effective mechanical energy as 16.0 gallons of gasoline? Assume that the efficiency of an electrically powered car is 2.5 times that of a gasoline-powered car for the conversion to mechanical energy. DATA: Energy content of 1 gallon of gas = 1.32 x10^8 Joules.
For Part A, we were to find the total electrical energy that the battery can deliver before needing recharged, but I was able to find that.

Homework Equations

[/B]
I really do not know what equation is necessary... F=ma or 1/2mv^2 maybe?

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I am very stuck on the basic principles here. I believe I need to set up a ratio and then solve for mass, but what equation is necessary?

Physics news on Phys.org
PlatoDescartes said:

Homework Statement

[/B]
A 12 Volt lead-acid car battery, engineered for "up to 500 or more charge/discharge cycles," has a rating of 330.0 Ampere-hours. It sells for $ 262.00.
Part B: The battery has a mass of 32.7 kg. What total mass of such batteries would be required to deliver the same effective mechanical energy as 16.0 gallons of gasoline? Assume that the efficiency of an electrically powered car is 2.5 times that of a gasoline-powered car for the conversion to mechanical energy. DATA: Energy content of 1 gallon of gas = 1.32 x10^8 Joules.
For Part A, we were to find the total electrical energy that the battery can deliver before needing recharged, but I was able to find that.

Homework Equations

[/B]
I really do not know what equation is necessary... F=ma or 1/2mv^2 maybe?

Update: I know that 16 gallons of gas is equal to 21.12 x 10^8 J and I am trying to figure out what m (mass of batteries) would deliver the same mechanical energy as that. Therefore, I need some equation to set equal to that to solve for work... Would W=21.12 x10^8 J= charge x change in voltage= F x displacement..?

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I am very stuck on the basic principles here. I believe I need to set up a ratio and then solve for mass, but what equation is necessary?

F=ma or 1/2mv^2 maybe? ... update...

No, I don't think so. Focus on calculating the amount of energy in 16 gallons of gasoline, multiplied by the 2.5x factor of efficiency. Then calculate how many watt-hours a battery would need to deliver to provide the equivalent energy. Watt hours is amp-hours times voltage.

They are not asking you to calculate how much energy it takes to move the car, just the battery <-> gasoline equivalents. Once you have the battery watt-hour number, calculate battery mass from that.

NTL2009 said:
F=ma or 1/2mv^2 maybe? ... update...

No, I don't think so. Focus on calculating the amount of energy in 16 gallons of gasoline, multiplied by the 2.5x factor of efficiency. Then calculate how many watt-hours a battery would need to deliver to provide the equivalent energy. Watt hours is amp-hours times voltage.

They are not asking you to calculate how much energy it takes to move the car, just the battery <-> gasoline equivalents. Once you have the battery watt-hour number, calculate battery mass from that.
That makes sense; thank you!

...And include the battery's 500 discharges vs. the 16 gallons of gasoline once only discharge (the question doesn't specify over what period the effective mechanical energy must be delivered)

Davy_Crockett said:
...And include the battery's 500 discharges vs. the 16 gallons of gasoline once only discharge (the question doesn't specify over what period the effective mechanical energy must be delivered)

I don't agree. I think that was just extra info, for the student to decide whether it is relevant or not, and/or maybe included for a follow up question not listed here.

A battery is essentially a "container" for energy. The equivalent in a gasoline powered car is the gas tank. If we allow for "refilling" the battery for its useful life, we need to allow for "refilling" the gas tank for its useful life (many thousands of times before it might rust out?).

Agreed. That calculation should be included when solving for the weight of fuel vs. the weight of battery.

While this is a good physics problem, it specs gasoline vs. a lead-acid accessories battery for an EV application.
Fine if your class of '78. But it would leave today’s classroom with a distorted perspective that some may carry for life.

Better to ask them to determine the volume of the phone battery in their pocket and then compare the energy density on the spec sheet to an equivalent volume of gasoline.

More realistic givens imo are: "1000 charge/discharge cycles" and "the electric motor is 4 times the efficiency of the ICE"

1. How is total battery mass calculated for equal efficiency?

The total battery mass for equal efficiency is calculated by dividing the total energy capacity of the battery by its specific energy density. This will give the mass of the battery required to achieve equal efficiency with other batteries.

2. What is specific energy density?

Specific energy density is the amount of energy per unit mass that a battery can store. It is typically measured in watt-hours per kilogram (Wh/kg) or joules per kilogram (J/kg).

3. Why is equal efficiency important in battery design?

Equal efficiency is important in battery design because it allows for fair comparisons between different battery chemistries. It also ensures that the battery is optimized for its intended use, as a battery with higher efficiency will have a longer lifespan and better performance.

4. How does the total battery mass affect the performance of a battery?

The total battery mass directly affects the performance of a battery. A heavier battery will have a higher energy capacity but may also have lower efficiency due to the added weight. On the other hand, a lighter battery may have lower energy capacity but higher efficiency.

5. How can total battery mass for equal efficiency be improved?

Total battery mass for equal efficiency can be improved by increasing the specific energy density of the battery. This can be achieved through advancements in battery technology, such as using new materials or improving the design of the battery.