Total angular momentum operators

In summary, the concept of angular momentum is often explained using the total angular momentum J, where J = L + S. However, this can be confusing because L and S are represented by matrices of different dimensions. To understand this, it is important to consider the Hilbert space of a particle with spin s, which is a combination of the 3D space L2(R3) and a complex space of dimension 2s+1. Notably, J = L⊗id + id⊗S, where L and S are represented by differential and spin angular momentum operators, respectively. For spin s=1/2, S = (ħ/2)σ, with σ being the Pauli matrices.
ShayanJ
Insights Author
Gold Member
Sometimes the concept of angular momentum is presented using the idea of total angular momentum J. In those cases, its always said that we have [itex] \vec{J}=\vec L + \vec S [/itex]. But I can't understand how that's possible. Because orbital angular momentum operators are differential operators and so are infinite dimensional matrices while spin angular momentum operators are finite dimensional matrices.But matrices of different dimensions can't be added. So how is that possible? What is [itex] \vec J [/itex] like?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The Hilbert space of a particle with spin ##s## is really ##L^2(\mathbb R^3)\otimes \mathbb C^{2s+1}## and ##\vec{J} = \vec{L} + \vec{S}## is just an abbreviation for ##J_i = L_i\otimes\mathrm{id} + \mathrm{id}\otimes S_i##, where ##L_i = \epsilon_{ijk} x_j \partial_k## and ##S_i=\frac{\hbar}{2}\pi_s(\sigma_i)##, where ##\pi_s## is a representation of ##\mathfrak{sl}(2,\mathbb C)## of dimension ##2s+1##. In case of spin ##s=\frac{1}{2}##, ##S_i = \frac{\hbar}{2}\sigma_i## and ##\sigma_i## are the Pauli matrices for example.

Last edited:

Related to Total angular momentum operators

1. What is the definition of total angular momentum operators?

Total angular momentum operators are mathematical operators that describe the rotational motion of a physical system. They are used to calculate the total angular momentum of a system, which is the combination of both orbital angular momentum (associated with the motion of particles around a central point) and spin angular momentum (associated with the intrinsic spin of particles).

2. How do total angular momentum operators affect the behavior of particles?

Total angular momentum operators affect the behavior of particles by quantizing their angular momentum values and determining the possible states that they can occupy. These operators also dictate the direction and magnitude of the particles' angular momentum, and how it can change over time.

3. Can total angular momentum operators be measured directly?

No, total angular momentum operators cannot be measured directly. They are theoretical constructs used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of particles. However, their effects can be observed through experiments and measurements of the physical properties of particles.

4. How are total angular momentum operators related to the conservation of angular momentum?

Total angular momentum operators are related to the conservation of angular momentum because they represent the total angular momentum of a system, which is a conserved quantity in nature. This means that the total angular momentum of a system cannot change unless an external torque is applied to it.

5. Are there different types of total angular momentum operators?

Yes, there are different types of total angular momentum operators, depending on the type of particles being studied. For example, in quantum mechanics, there are total angular momentum operators for spin-1/2 particles (such as electrons) and for spin-1 particles (such as photons). These operators have different mathematical forms and properties, but they all serve the same purpose of describing the total angular momentum of a system.