Torsional checking for Steel angle member

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving checking if a specific angle can take a twist of 30kNm with a fixed end connection and a 3m span. The equation θ = T L / J G is mentioned as a way to calculate the angle of twist, and the question is raised about how to check this against the design twist of 30kNm. It is noted that angle sections are not ideal for torsion and the max shear stress in the member is calculated using the equation Tc/J, where T is the twisting moment, c is the angle thickness, and J is the polar moment of inertia. This stress is then compared to the allowable shear stress of the material. It is also mentioned that the steel
wkh023002

Homework Statement

I meet a problem below:

To check if the angle :200x150x12 S275 Grade can take a twist of 30kNm (on plan ) with Span 3m fixed end connected.

Homework Equations

θ = T L / J G

The Attempt at a Solution

My question is that even I got the angle of twist for this member??
how can i check against design twist (30kNm) to see if it is adequate ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well this case should generally be avoided because angle sections are not very good in torsion. What you are looking for is the max shear stress in the member, Tc/J, where T is the twisting moment, c is the angle thickness, and J is the polar moment of inertia often calculated by summing the values of 'bt^3/3' for each leg, where b is the appropriate leg width. Then compare that stress to the allowable shear stress of the material. Note that the steel angle section will both twist and warp. I haven't done such a calculation since school days.

Related to Torsional checking for Steel angle member

What is torsional checking for steel angle member?

Torsional checking is a process used to analyze the ability of a steel angle member to resist torsional forces, or twisting forces, that may act on it.

Why is torsional checking important for steel angle members?

Torsional forces can cause significant damage to steel angle members, leading to structural failure. Torsional checking ensures that the member is able to withstand these forces and remain stable.

How is torsional checking performed?

Torsional checking is typically performed using mathematical equations and calculations based on the properties of the steel angle member, such as its cross-sectional area and moment of inertia.

What are the factors that affect torsional checking for steel angle members?

The main factors that affect torsional checking include the material properties of the steel, the geometry of the angle member, and the applied load or forces.

What are the potential consequences of not performing torsional checking for steel angle members?

If torsional checking is not performed, the steel angle member may not be able to withstand torsional forces and could experience excessive deformation, leading to structural failure. This can result in safety hazards and costly repairs.