Torsion spring calcualtion for 12 ounces of weight

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a custom torsion spring for a center kick-stand on a custom-built bicycle. The spring must have enough strength to keep the kick-stand in its non-deployed position and withstand additional forces from bumpy roads. The question arises about the unknown g-forces that may act upon the bike/stand, and a paper is suggested as a potential resource for determining this. There is also a discussion about the center of gravity and the placement of the feet on the legs for safety purposes. Another individual shares their interest in a similar project and considers using a gas spring instead of a torsion spring.
NYC2LA
I am NOT a physics major and clueless to figure out the strength of a custom spring I need to be made. I was hoping someone could help me, either with figuring it out, or turning me to someone/site that may be able to help.
Here's the sitch':
The spring is for a center kick-stand on a bicycle. The kick-stand/frame is custom built.
The spring must be a torsion spring.
the total weight of the kick-stand (placed on a scale) is 12 ounces.
The spring should have enough torsional strength to keep the kick-stand in its non-deployed position (up, riding the bike) and keep it there with extra forces of being thrust on it by bumpy roads, etc.
Make sense?
Please help, and thank you in advance!

Attachments

• kickstand 2.png
    kickstand 2.png
    5.8 KB · Views: 642
Engineering news on Phys.org
This type of stand can be quite dangerous. Spring fails, stand falls, catches on something like a drain cover and...

To answer the question.. You need to know what g forces act on the bike/stand due to bumps. Suppose the max is 3g (pure guess). Let's also assume that the mass of the arm is evenly distributed so the centre of gravity is half way along it's length. Then I believe you need a spring that can deliver a torque of at least...

T (in foot pounds) = 3 * (12/16) * 0.5(L)

where L is the length of the arm (in feet).

Allow extra for safety.

CWatters,

Thanx!
The center stand's pivot is forward of the legs/feet, so in the event of spring failure the feet would be dragged, as opposed to being pushed. Not an indefensible position take in regards to safety but the same could be said for a single leg, side-hanging kickstand. Failure of either is not the favored experience.

Okay, onward:
The big question, indeed, is "what's the unknown?" I haven't a clue what g forces would act upon the bike/stand due to bumps, etc. I would guess that the highly educated in physics would have experience with "guesstimating" what the forces would reasonably be. I'll take your suggestion; seems reasonable.
I looked at this "problem" from a layman's POV and used "pounds" of weight (over-all, meaning how much weight would hold it up on a balance scale while the extraneous forces are present). I came up with five times its weight of 12ounces, rounded off would be four pounds. So, if I could attach a four-pound weight to the opposite end of the legs, the kick-stand would remain up no matter how bumpy the road.
Alas, the Spring Maker wouldn't accept this logic. Even if I promised to pay him in cash.

So, T= 3 x .75 x .333 (length of legs is 8" measured straight-line from pivot to base of feet***).

3/4 foot pounds?

*** Wouldn't the center of gravity be on the opposite side of the pivot? Therefore 2/3 for L, not 1/3? Again, Many Thanx!

PS- I gave thought to your cautiousness, and decided I could do even more for safety: I slid the feet "up" (or, "back" on the legs) so if the kick-stand were to drag while being ridden, there would be nothing to "grab" on the ground--the legs would merely "slide" over any obstructions... (see picture)

Attachments

• manhole.png
    manhole.png
    8.6 KB · Views: 566
Last edited:
NYC2LA said:
The big question, indeed, is "what's the unknown?" I haven't a clue what g forces would act upon the bike/stand due to bumps, etc.

Google found a paper that looks like it might help .

https://ir.library.oregonstate.edu/xmlui/handle/1957/32759

Suggests much higher g forces might occur.

NYC2LA said:
Wouldn't the center of gravity be on the opposite side of the pivot? Therefore 2/3 for L, not 1/3?

Not sure I follow that. The drawing suggests to me the centre of mass is in the middle of the leg so at 1/2 L.

Hey guys,

What an interesting thread. :-) I can see that it's been years since anybody was active, but I hope that someone will still find this discussion interesting.
I'm in the development of a similar project. I need to do a front attached kickstand for a Omnium Cargo. I've been looking into different concepts, one which is similar to the one in the thread, one with inspiration from the Ursus Jumbo mechanism, and then another one with the use of a gas spring (pull type) which should provide me with the desired mechanism for holding the kickstand in the up riding position, and also allow it to go down in the stand position.
I doubt the possibility of including a gas spring instead of a torsion spring, and I therefore hope that someone will find this discussion interested.

Best Frederik

Related to Torsion spring calcualtion for 12 ounces of weight

1. How do you calculate the required torsion spring for 12 ounces of weight?

The required torsion spring for 12 ounces of weight can be calculated by using the formula F= (m*g*l)/(2*pi*r^2), where F is the force in Newtons, m is the mass in kilograms, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), l is the distance from the pivot point to the center of mass in meters, and r is the radius of the spring in meters.

2. What is the standard unit of measurement for torsion spring calculation?

The standard unit of measurement for torsion spring calculation is Newtons (N). This unit is used to measure force, which is a key component in calculating the required torsion spring for a specific weight.

3. Can I use a torsion spring with a different weight than 12 ounces?

Yes, you can use a torsion spring with a different weight than 12 ounces. The calculation for the required torsion spring will vary depending on the weight of the object. It is important to ensure that the spring is able to support the weight without exceeding its maximum capacity.

4. How do I determine the distance from the pivot point to the center of mass for my object?

The distance from the pivot point to the center of mass can be measured directly if the object has a regular shape, such as a sphere or cylinder. If the object has an irregular shape, you can use a balance scale to find the center of mass by balancing the object on a point and marking the spot where it balances.

5. Is there a maximum weight that a torsion spring can support?

Yes, there is a maximum weight that a torsion spring can support. The maximum weight will vary depending on the type and size of the spring. It is important to choose a spring with a maximum weight capacity that is greater than the weight of the object it will be supporting.