Torsion Pendulum Oscillation (SHM)

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a uniform meter stick that is hung and oscillates with a period of 5 s. The meter stick is then shortened and set into oscillation again, and the question is posed as to what the new period will be. The conversation includes discussions of the relevant equations and hints towards the solution, ultimately concluding that the new period will be the original period multiplied by the square root of 0.76 cubed.
SuperCass

Homework Statement

A uniform meter stick is hung at its center from a thin wire. It is twisted and oscillates with a period of 5 s. The meter stick is then sawed off to a length of 0.76 m, rebalanced at its center, and set into oscillation.

With what period does it now oscillate?

Homework Equations

T=2pi(sqrt(I/K))
I=(1/12)ML^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried solving for m in terms of k and then plugging that into a new equation solving for T with the length being .76, but that didn't work. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi SuperCass! :smile:

(have a pi: π and a square-root: √ and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

Hint: by how much is I reduced? :wink:

(1-.76)² ?
So since the formula is T=2π√(I/k), would I multiply the original T by (1-.76)?(Thanks for your signature!)

No, I is proportional to ML2, and both M and L are reduced. :wink:

Remember that you've been told that the rod is uniform, that means that its mass is proportional to its length! If we define a mass per unit length, [tex]\mu\equiv \frac{M_0}{L_0}[/tex] then the mass of a rod of length [tex]\ell[/tex] made of the same material would be..?

.76 of the original mass?

SuperCass said:
.76 of the original mass?

Exactly! That makes for [tex]m \propto \ell[/tex] which implies [tex]I \propto \ell^3[/tex]

Oh!
I got it now!
So I just do the original period times the square root of .76^3!

Thank you all very very much!

Related to Torsion Pendulum Oscillation (SHM)

What is a torsion pendulum?

A torsion pendulum is a type of pendulum that uses a wire or thin rod as the support, instead of a string or rod. The wire or rod is twisted, creating a restoring force that allows the pendulum to oscillate back and forth.

What is SHM (Simple Harmonic Motion)?

SHM is a type of motion in which an object moves back and forth in a regular, repeating pattern. The motion is caused by a restoring force that is proportional to the displacement from the equilibrium position. Torsion pendulum oscillation is an example of SHM.

What factors affect the period of a torsion pendulum?

The period of a torsion pendulum is affected by the length of the pendulum arm, the stiffness of the wire or rod, and the moment of inertia of the pendulum. The period is also affected by external factors such as air resistance and friction at the pivot point.

How is the period of a torsion pendulum calculated?

The period of a torsion pendulum can be calculated using the formula T=2π√(I/k), where T is the period, I is the moment of inertia, and k is the torsion constant of the wire or rod. The moment of inertia can be calculated using the mass and length of the pendulum arm. The torsion constant can be determined experimentally.

What are some real-world applications of torsion pendulum oscillation?

Torsion pendulum oscillation is used in seismometers to measure earthquakes, in torsion balances to measure small forces, and in torsional pendulum clocks to keep accurate time. It is also used in research to study the effects of torsional forces on materials and structures.