Torsion Module M with ann(M)={0} and Integral Domain R | R-Module Notations

In summary: A torsion module M with ann(M)={0} can be found in a commutative ring R that is not necessarily an integral domain. An example of such a ring is R = k [ x,\sqrt{x}, \sqrt[3]{x}, \ldots, \sqrt[n]{x}, \ldots ] and the R-module R/\langle x \rangle. This example circumvents the argument that R cannot be an integral domain by being non-Noetherian.
sanctifier
Notations:
M denotes an abelian group under addtion
R denotes a commutative ring with identity
ann(?): Let M be an R-module and r∈R v∈M, then ann(v)={r∈R | rv=0}

Terms:
R-module: a module whose base ring is R
torsion element: A nonzero element v∈M for which rv=0 for some nonzero r∈R
torsion module: all elements of the module are torsion elements
integral domain: a commutative ring R with identity with the property that for r,s∈R, rs≠0 if r≠0 and s≠0

Question:
Find a torsion module M for which ann(M)={0}.

I wonder whether the base ring R of such M can only be an integral domain.

Physics news on Phys.org
On the contrary, if a commutative ring R has such a module M (and if M is finitely generated), then R cannot be an integral domain. Why? (Hint: In a domain, the intersection of nonzero ideals is nontrivial.)

The original example I thought of was the ideal [tex] \langle x,y \rangle [/tex] in the [tex] k[x,y] [/tex]-module [tex]k[x,y]/\langle xy \rangle[/tex], but that doesn't quite work. I tried tweaking it a bit, but to no avail. Thus, the example I finally settled on uses a non-Noetherian ring R to circumvent the above argument that R cannot be an integral domain. Consider
[tex] R = k [ x,\sqrt{x}, \sqrt[3]{x}, \ldots, \sqrt[n]{x}, \ldots ] [/tex].
This is a non-Noetherian domain. The R-module [tex] R/\langle x \rangle [/tex] has the desired property (I think).

Thanks! VKint

Related to Torsion Module M with ann(M)={0} and Integral Domain R | R-Module Notations

What is a torsion module?

A torsion module is a type of module in abstract algebra that has the property that every element can be multiplied by a non-zero scalar to produce the zero element. In other words, every element of a torsion module has finite order.

How is a torsion module different from a torsion-free module?

A torsion module has the property that every element has finite order, while a torsion-free module has the property that only the zero element has finite order. In other words, a torsion-free module is a module without any torsion elements.

What are some examples of torsion modules?

Some examples of torsion modules include the integers under multiplication, the group of rational numbers under addition, and the group of polynomials with integer coefficients under addition.

What is the significance of torsion modules in mathematics?

Torsion modules are important in many areas of mathematics, including algebra, number theory, and topology. They help us understand the structure of groups, rings, and modules, and they have applications in coding theory and cryptography.

How are torsion modules used in real-world applications?

Torsion modules are used in various real-world applications, such as error-correcting codes in communication systems, data compression algorithms, and secure communication protocols. They also play a role in understanding the behavior of certain physical systems, such as crystal structures and molecular systems.