Is the Transverse Doppler Effect Dependent on General Relativity?

In summary, the derivation of the transverse Doppler effect does not depend upon a pure transverse motion; in fact, the result follows from the decomposition of a uniform motion (in accordance with spec. rel.) into a radial and transverse component.
arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
I saw in a chapter on special relativity a derivation of the transverse Doppler effect, which seemed okay, but I have a question concerning this:

If the motion of a source is always perpendicular to the position vector connecting the observer to the moving source (i.e. the distance remains constant), that is the source rotates about the obs., does not
(technically, at least) the validity of the result (transv. D. eff.) depend on general relativity, rather than special relativity, since the source's rest frame is in non-uniform motion relative to the observer's rest frame?

Physics news on Phys.org
As I am sure you realize, the derivation of the transverse Doppler effect does not require that the motion of the source be in pure transverse motion. As long as there is a transverse component of motion, there will be a transverse Doppler effect due to time dilation. In any case, even if the light source does purely circle around the observer, the observing frame is still inertial, so special relativity should be sufficient.

Or have I missed your point?

arildno said:
I saw in a chapter on special relativity a derivation of the transverse Doppler effect, which seemed okay, but I have a question concerning this:

If the motion of a source is always perpendicular to the position vector connecting the observer to the moving source (i.e. the distance remains constant), that is the source rotates about the obs., does not
(technically, at least) the validity of the result (transv. D. eff.) depend on general relativity, rather than special relativity, since the source's rest frame is in non-uniform motion relative to the observer's rest frame?

The special relativistic formula for transverse Doppler shift will still be valid for describing how the light is seen according to the inertial frame observer that was emmited from the circling object unless you are also considering a gravitational source such as a planet about which it orbits for example. Then, one must use general relativity to determine the total relativistic Doppler shift.

Thx for the response!
Doc Al, yes, I was aware of that the derivation of the transverse Doppler effect did not at all depend upon a pure transverse motion; in fact, the result followed from the decomposition of a uniform motion (in accordance with spec. rel.) into a radial and transverse component,
the radial comp. accounting for the classical Doppler effect, whereas the transverse effect enters as a result of the time dilation factor (since the transverse velocity component is part of the total velocity).

Hence, I have no trouble in recognizing the presence of a transverse Doppler effect in the case of a general, uniform motion, and that this is derivable from the postulates/conditions for the validity of special relativity.

My point only concerned the limiting case (radial comp->0),
i.e. when the motion can no longer be regarded as strictly uniform, since the source will, in fact, rotate around the observer.

However, from your own answer, and DW's, I think I have gained a satisfactory response.

1. What is the Transverse Doppler effect?

The Transverse Doppler effect is a phenomenon in which the frequency of a wave appears to change when observed from a moving frame of reference perpendicular to the direction of its propagation.

2. How is the Transverse Doppler effect different from the standard Doppler effect?

The standard Doppler effect occurs when the observer and the source of the wave are in relative motion along the same line of sight, while the Transverse Doppler effect occurs when the observer and the source are in relative motion perpendicular to the line of sight.

3. What causes the Transverse Doppler effect?

The Transverse Doppler effect is caused by the relative motion between the observer and the source of the wave, which leads to a change in the perceived frequency of the wave.

4. How does the Transverse Doppler effect impact different types of waves?

The Transverse Doppler effect can impact all types of waves, including light, sound, and electromagnetic waves. However, its effects are most noticeable in high frequency waves, such as light waves.

5. Can the Transverse Doppler effect be observed in everyday life?

Yes, the Transverse Doppler effect can be observed in everyday life. For example, a person standing on the side of a road will hear the siren of a passing emergency vehicle at a higher pitch than someone standing directly in front of the vehicle. This is due to the Transverse Doppler effect, as the observer and the source of the sound are in relative motion perpendicular to the direction of the sound wave's propagation.