Torques: Rotational Equilibrium Mobile

In summary, the mobile should have its arms hanging down, with the bottom arm attached to the second-from-bottom arm.
hi:)
Torques: Rotational Equilibrium Mobile :)

Homework Statement

Please! I really need help figuring out how to make a balanced mobile!
I would really appreciate anyones help!

Directions:
Apply what you know about torques by making a mobile. Shown below are five horizontal arms with fixed 1- and 2-kg masses attached, and four hangers with ends that fit in the loops of the arms, lettered A through R. You are to figure where the loops should be attached so that when the whole system is suspended from the spring scale at the top, it will hang as a proper mobile, with its arms suspended horizontally. This is best done by working from the bottom upward. Choose the loops where the hangers should be attached. You may assume the horizontal struts and connecting hooks are practically massless compared to the 1- and 2-kg masses.

__________________________________________________________________________________

Homework Equations

HERE IS A PICTURE! :)
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b338/iloveyou2814/e19a2b53-385a-48ec-b0a2-440684444ae.gif

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
1. On the bottom level:
You would connect point ____
D E F G
to point ____.
A B C

2. On the next to lowest level
H I K K
to point ____.
D E F G

3. middle level
L M N O
to point ____.
H I K K

4. next to top level
P Q R
to point ____.
L M N O

5. top level
The spring scale should be connected to point ____.
P Q R

6.Now that your mobile is complete, how many Newtons would be indicated on the spring scale?

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried for a really long time to make this mobile! But it just won't balance! I would show you it, but i don't have a digital camera anymore to take a picture of it because it is broken :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

How did you get on with hanging the bottom arm from the second-from-bottom arm?

(Also, bear in mind that you don't need to hang each arm from its center.)

I am attaching each arm with hangers
And i know that i can't hang each arm from its center because it won't balance that way,
the "2"s and "1"s are weights, so i have to attach each arm to the next in different places. i just don't know where to attach them.

Is anyone going to help me!?
i really could use come help :(

When I asked "how are you getting on with hanging the bottom arm from the second bottom arm?" I didn't realize you were actually trying to make the entire mobile. Unless you measure all the masses and distances exactly - and have massless rods (impossible in practice) it won't work out exactly in real life.

I'll try rephrasing it - in which position should you provide the support for the bottom rod in order for it to balance. Think about people sitting on a seesaw if it helps.

If you work out what the mobile should look like in theory, then you can build it practically after that (using slight alterations to make it balance in practice).

1. How do you define torque?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied.

2. What is rotational equilibrium?

Rotational equilibrium refers to a state where an object is not rotating or is rotating at a constant speed. This means that the net torque acting on the object is equal to zero, resulting in a balanced system.

3. How does a mobile demonstrate rotational equilibrium?

A mobile is a common example of rotational equilibrium as it is designed to hang and balance from a single point. The weights of the objects on the mobile are evenly distributed, resulting in a balanced system and no rotation.

4. What factors affect rotational equilibrium?

There are a few factors that can affect rotational equilibrium, including the distance of the force from the axis of rotation, the magnitude of the force, and the distribution of weight or mass in the system. Any changes to these factors can result in a change in the net torque and disrupt rotational equilibrium.

5. How is rotational equilibrium related to stability?

Rotational equilibrium is closely related to stability as it determines whether an object will stay in place or rotate. A system in rotational equilibrium is considered to be stable as it is balanced and not prone to tipping over or rotating. However, if the system is not in equilibrium, it can become unstable and result in movement or rotation.