Torques in rotational equilibrium

In summary, for any system in rotational equilibrium, the torque about any point on the object or in space must be zero. This means that the forces acting on the object must be balanced, and the object will not rotate. This can be demonstrated with a balanced seesaw, where the forces at the pivot point and at the endpoint will contribute zero torque when calculated around their respective points, but will still sum to zero. This is because the pivot point does not actually move, but the imaginary rotation center used for torque calculation changes.
zspdztzx

Homework Statement

Why, for any system that is in rotational equilibrium, the torque about 1) any point on the object or 2) any point in space, must be zero.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

What I do not understand is, why the torque about ANY point on the object is zero? Isn't it only about the point of rotation/center of gravity? Say, if I have a seesaw that is balanced (therefore it's in rotational equilibrium?) on both side. If I move the pivot point away from the middle, the equilibrium will not exist anymore, right? How can this be for torque about ANY point?

Also, as 2) stated in the original question, about ANY POINT IN SPACE, too? I.e. A balanced seesaw with torque about a random position on the moon??

There got to be something important here I missed or didn't understand. Can someone clarify these for me? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
If you have a balanced seesaw and you look at torques around the pivot point then the force at the pivot point doesn't contribute any torque because it's at the pivot point. And it doesn't rotate because the torques sum to zero. If you compute the torques around some other point, like an endpoint of the seesaw, then the force at the end of the seesaw now contributes no torque, but now the force at the pivot does. But they still have to sum to zero because it still doesn't rotate. Write down a concrete example and try it.

Dick said:
If you have a balanced seesaw and you look at torques around the pivot point then the force at the pivot point doesn't contribute any torque because it's at the pivot point. And it doesn't rotate because the torques sum to zero. If you compute the torques around some other point, like an endpoint of the seesaw, then the force at the end of the seesaw now contributes no torque, but now the force at the pivot does. But they still have to sum to zero because it still doesn't rotate. Write down a concrete example and try it.

Thank you so much Dr.! Now it makes sense! I think the reason I couldn't understand this before was I always assumes that the actual pivot point "moves" with different ways of torque calculation! After all, the physical pivot for the seesaw is still at the same location but the imaginary rotation center used for torque calculation changes for different ways torque combination! :)

Related to Torques in rotational equilibrium

1. What is rotational equilibrium?

Rotational equilibrium is a state in which an object is not rotating or accelerating angularly. This means that the net torque acting on the object is zero, resulting in a balanced and stable system.

2. What is a torque?

A torque is a twisting force that causes an object to rotate. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the pivot point, also known as the lever arm.

3. How does an object achieve rotational equilibrium?

An object achieves rotational equilibrium when the sum of all the torques acting on it is equal to zero. This means that all forces acting on the object must be balanced and have equal and opposite torques.

4. What is the relationship between torque and angular acceleration?

The relationship between torque and angular acceleration is described by Newton's Second Law for rotational motion, which states that the net torque acting on an object is equal to the product of its moment of inertia and its angular acceleration.

5. What are some real-life examples of torques in rotational equilibrium?

Examples of torques in rotational equilibrium can be seen in everyday objects such as a seesaw, a bicycle wheel, and a door hinge. In each of these cases, the object is able to remain balanced and stable due to the equal and opposite torques acting on it.