Torque to linear acceleration.

In summary, the fridge linear acceleration is .1 k .2 s and the normal forces acting at A and B are Fy = Fna + Fnb - Fg = 0 and Fx = F - fa - fb = F -.1(Fg)
Yapper
Urgent! Torque to linear acceleration. Please Help!

Homework Statement

Q1: A horizontal force F=1000N is applied on a 120kg fridge as shown below. If
friction is present, what is the magnitude of the fridge linear acceleration, and the
magnitude of the normal forces acting at A and B? (hint: this system is not in
static equilibrium, and any possible axis of rotation is obvious moving). .1 k .2 s friction coefficients the fridge only has contact with the floor at A and B.

[PLAIN]http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/3941/unledee.png

Homework Equations

Torque = r x F

The Attempt at a Solution

Torque from the horizontal force is 1200, torque from point A is .5(Fna), and torque from point B is in the opposite direction = .5(Fnb)

and Fnb + Fna = Fg = 120 * 9.8

I don't know how do figure this problem out at all, any help would be great.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Yapper said:

Homework Statement

Q1: A horizontal force F=1000N is applied on a 120kg fridge as shown below. If
friction is present, what is the magnitude of the fridge linear acceleration, and the
magnitude of the normal forces acting at A and B? (hint: this system is not in
static equilibrium, and any possible axis of rotation is obvious moving). .1 k .2 s friction coefficients the fridge only has contact with the floor at A and B.

[PLAIN]http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/3941/unledee.png

Homework Equations

Torque = r x F

The Attempt at a Solution

Torque from the horizontal force is 1200, torque from point A is .5(Fna), and torque from point B is in the opposite direction = .5(Fnb)

and Fnb + Fna = Fg = 120 * 9.8

I don't know how do figure this problem out at all, any help would be great.

Well, drawing a FBD of the fridge would be a good start. Remember the hint that the fridge is assumed to be in motion...

I have a free body diagram. But i don't understand how to take that and figure out the linear acceleration and then find out the forces acting on A and B. I mean its not as simple as
1000 - .1(120kg)(9.8) = 120kg * a, a =7.35 m/s?

I need to know how to approach this problem after I have the FBD. how does the torque effect the translational? how do I figure out the differences in the normal forces at A and B since its not in equilibrium.

Yapper said:
I have a free body diagram. But i don't understand how to take that and figure out the linear acceleration and then find out the forces acting on A and B. I mean its not as simple as
1000 - .1(120kg)(9.8) = 120kg * a, a =7.35 m/s?

I need to know how to approach this problem after I have the FBD. how does the torque effect the translational? how do I figure out the differences in the normal forces at A and B since its not in equilibrium.

Can you please post your FBD and your equations for the balances of forces and torques?

Fy = Fna + Fnb - Fg = 0

Fna + Fnb = Fg

Fx = F - fa - fb = F -.1(Fg)

Fx = 882.4 N ax = 7.35333 m/s^s

T = 1200 + .5Fna - .5Fnb + (fa x r) + (fb x r)

fa = .1Fna

fb = .1Fnb

[PLAIN]http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/3497/unled3t.png

Related to Torque to linear acceleration.

What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the force that can cause an object to rotate around an axis. It is typically measured in newton-meters (N*m) or foot-pounds (ft-lb).

How is torque related to linear acceleration?

Torque and linear acceleration are related through the equation τ = Iα, where τ is torque, I is the moment of inertia, and α is the angular acceleration. This equation shows that torque can cause an object to accelerate in a linear direction.

How do you calculate torque to linear acceleration?

To calculate torque to linear acceleration, you need to know the moment of inertia of the object and the angular acceleration. Then, you can use the formula τ = Iα to find the torque, and use that value in the formula F = ma to calculate the linear acceleration.

What is the moment of inertia?

The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is similar to mass in linear motion, and is typically denoted by the symbol I.

What are some real-world applications of torque to linear acceleration?

Torque to linear acceleration is used in many different applications, such as in engines to convert rotational motion into linear motion, in sports equipment like baseball bats and golf clubs to increase speed and power, and in machinery to lift or move heavy objects. It is also important in understanding the mechanics of vehicles, such as cars and airplanes.