Torque required to spin a disk

In summary, the problem involves a 250 g, 20.0-cm-diameter plastic disk being spun on an axle by an electric motor. The question asks for the torque needed for the disk to reach 2000 rpm in 4.50 s. The solution involves using the formula T = Ia, where I is the inertia of the disk and a is the angular acceleration. By calculating the inertia using the formula for a solid disk, and finding the angular acceleration by converting the given rpm to rad/s, the torque is determined to be 0.06 Nm. However, the correct answer may differ.
cyclemun

Homework Statement

A 250 g , 20.0-cm-diameter plastic disk is spun on an axle through its center by an electric motor.

Homework Equations

What torque must the motor supply to take the disk from 0 to 2000 rpm in 4.50 s?

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that Torque = Inertia times angular acceleration or T = Ia.
I tried using the formula for inertia of a solid disk, I = 1/2Mr^2. So with that I get 1/2(.25)(.1^2) = .00125. Then i found angular acceleration: 2000 rpm = 209.44 rad/s divided by 4.5 s so 209.44 rad/s / 4.5s = 46.54 s^2. I multiply these two number together and get .00125*46.54 = .06 Nm. However, this is wrong. What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your working seems correct to me...

There are a few potential issues with your calculation. First, you are using the incorrect formula for inertia. The correct formula for a solid disk is I = 1/2MR^2, where M is the mass of the disk and R is the radius. In this case, M = 0.25 kg and R = 0.10 m, so the inertia would be 0.000125 kgm^2.

Secondly, you are using the incorrect units for angular velocity. Remember that rpm stands for revolutions per minute, so you need to convert this to radians per second by multiplying by 2π/60. This gives an angular velocity of approximately 209.44 rad/s.

Finally, when calculating torque, you also need to consider the direction of rotation. In this case, the disk is rotating clockwise, so the torque would be in the counterclockwise direction. Thus, the final calculation would be T = Iα = (0.000125 kgm^2)(46.54 s^-2) = 0.00582 Nm counterclockwise.

Overall, it is important to carefully check your equations and units to ensure that your calculations are accurate.

Related to Torque required to spin a disk

1. What is torque required to spin a disk?

Torque required to spin a disk is the measure of the force needed to rotate a disk around its central axis. It is typically measured in units of Newton-meters (Nm) or pound-feet (lb-ft).

2. How is torque required to spin a disk calculated?

The torque required to spin a disk can be calculated by multiplying the force applied to the disk by the distance from the center of the disk to the point where the force is applied. This can be represented by the equation T = F x r, where T is torque, F is force, and r is the distance.

3. What factors affect the torque required to spin a disk?

The torque required to spin a disk is affected by several factors, including the mass of the disk, the radius of the disk, the speed of rotation, and the friction between the disk and its surroundings.

4. How does the shape of the disk affect the torque required to spin it?

The shape of the disk can affect the torque required to spin it. A disk with a larger diameter will require more torque to spin than a disk with a smaller diameter, assuming all other factors are the same. Additionally, a disk with a larger mass or thicker width will also require more torque to spin.

5. Can the torque required to spin a disk be reduced?

Yes, the torque required to spin a disk can be reduced by decreasing the mass or diameter of the disk, reducing the speed of rotation, or decreasing the friction between the disk and its surroundings. Additionally, using lubricants or bearings can also help reduce the torque required to spin a disk.