Torque Problem not yielding answer choices

In summary, the conversation was about calculating the torque of the force of gravity and tension at a pivot point. The individual took into account the hinge point and used the formula T=Ia=0=L*T*sin(180-θ)+(L/2)*F g *sin(θ) to calculate it. However, they realized they made a mistake in constructing the trig function for the torque of Fg and corrected it. This resulted in T=mg/2, which was not one of the answer choices.
fireman2020
E0Nw30f.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

I took the pivot point to be the hinge point and calculated the torque to the force of gravity as well as tension. So

T=Ia=0=L*T*sin(180-θ)+(L/2)*F g *sin(θ) which yields

T+(1/2)F g=0 so shouldn't T=mg/2? However, this is not an answer choice.[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello. Welcome to PF!

Be careful with constructing the trig function for the torque of Fg.

Likes berkeman and fireman2020
TSny said:
Hello. Welcome to PF!

Be careful with constructing the trig function for the torque of Fg.

Wow thank you, I should have been more organized with how I drew my angles and parallel lines. I see it now.

Likes berkeman

Related to Torque Problem not yielding answer choices

What is torque?

Torque is a rotational force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. It is the product of the force applied and the distance from the axis of rotation.

Why is the torque problem not yielding answer choices?

There could be several reasons why a torque problem is not yielding answer choices. It could be due to an error in the calculations, an incorrect setup of the problem, or missing information.

How do I solve a torque problem?

To solve a torque problem, you need to identify the forces acting on the object, determine the distance from the axis of rotation for each force, and use the equation torque = force x distance to calculate the torque. Make sure to pay attention to the direction of the forces and their distances.

What are some common units for torque?

The SI unit for torque is Newton-meters (N·m). Other common units include foot-pounds (ft·lb) and inch-pounds (in·lb).

What are the applications of torque in science and engineering?

Torque is used in many areas of science and engineering, including mechanics, physics, and mechanical engineering. It is essential in understanding the motion of rotating objects and is used in the design and operation of many machines and devices, such as engines, motors, and tools.