Torque problem -- friction force on nail between 2 boards

In summary: Then the only other point of rotation would be at the end of board Y. So the equation would be:T (clockwise) = T (counterclockwise)F (1 m) = F (2 m)F = (1/2) FNot sure how this helps me. The other point of rotation would be at the end of board Y. So the equation would be:T(clockwise) = T(counterclockwise)F(1m) = F(2m)F = (1/2)FNot sure how this helps me.In summary, the problem involves two massless boards, X and Y, with a 4 N force applied to board Y and board X
brake4country
Could some please help me with this problem?

Boards X and Y are both massless and 4 m in length. A 4 N force is applied to board Y as shown. Board X is held stationary. The two boards are nailed together at 1 m from the left end of board Y. If the boards do not move, what is the static frictional force between the nail and board X?

(A) 4 N
(B) 8 N
(C) 12 N
(D) 16 N

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    1.6 KB · Views: 501
Physics news on Phys.org
If this is homework it should be in the homework section and you should show your own attempt first.

Hint. Levers.

No, not homework. This is test prep/self-study.

I haven't attempted any math for this problem yet. However, I do know that torque= F x d. My confusion is that the beams are massless. Thanks in advance

brake4country said:
My confusion is that the beams are massless.
You don't have to consider the weight of the boards.

brake4country said:
No, not homework. This is test prep/self-study.

It doesn't matter. If you're trying to find the solution for a specific exercise like this, we consider it "homework-like" and it belongs in the homework forums.

You've already received some help, and you've used the appropriate forum before, so I'll simply move this there.

I haven't attempted any math for this problem yet. However, I do know that torque= F x d. My confusion is that the beams are massless.

So ignore the mass. What other forces or torques must exist in addition to the applied 4N ? Are the beams moving? Accelerating? What does that imply?

fulcrum of rotation is at the end of board y
4Newtons * 4metres = 16N*m

T=F*S
where s = 1
16=F*1
F=16Newtons

Ry122. Please see...

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=414380

Homework Help Guidelines

On helping with questions: Any and all assistance given to homework assignments or textbook style exercises should be given only after the questioner has shown some effort in solving the problem. If no attempt is made then the questioner should be asked to provide one before any assistance is given. Under no circumstances should complete solutions be provided to a questioner, whether or not an attempt has been made.

Okay. I am slowly understanding this problem but I still need some clarification...

My understanding of torque as a static problem requires the sum of all torques must equal zero. So, initially, I set the problem up as:

T (clockwise) = T (counterclockwise)

My initial question was: why can't the nail be a point of rotation? Now I realize that the nail exerts a force, therefore, it cannot be a point of rotation. If the point is chosen to be at the end of y, then:

T (clockwise) = T (counterclockwise)

F (1 m) = (4 N) (4 m)
F = 16 Nm

Is this an accurate way to express the equation?

That all look fine to me.

You could pick the nail as the point of rotation about which to sum the torques.. but you would then have to take into account other torques such as the force that board Y applies on board X at the left hand end of Y (and that's not known).

In general.. if there is an unknown force in a problem try putting the point of rotation there so that it's taken out of the equation (eg T=F*d but d=0)

Related to Torque problem -- friction force on nail between 2 boards

1. What is torque and how does it relate to friction force on a nail between two boards?

Torque is a measure of rotational force and is calculated by multiplying the force applied by the distance from the point of rotation. In the case of a nail between two boards, the torque is the force applied to the nail multiplied by the distance between the two boards. Friction force is the resistive force that opposes motion between two surfaces in contact. In this scenario, the friction force on the nail is directly related to the torque applied to it.

2. How does the coefficient of friction affect the torque problem?

The coefficient of friction is a value that represents the amount of friction between two surfaces. In the torque problem, the coefficient of friction between the nail and the boards will determine the amount of friction force acting on the nail. A higher coefficient of friction will result in a greater friction force, which will require a larger torque to overcome.

3. What factors can affect the friction force on a nail between two boards?

The friction force on a nail between two boards can be affected by several factors, including the weight of the object being supported, the angle of the boards, the surface roughness of the boards, and the coefficient of friction between the nail and the boards. Additionally, the force applied to the nail and the distance between the boards can also impact the friction force.

4. Is there a way to reduce the friction force on a nail between two boards?

Yes, there are a few ways to reduce the friction force on a nail between two boards. One way is to decrease the weight of the object being supported, as this will decrease the normal force between the nail and the boards. Another way is to use a lubricant between the nail and the boards, which can reduce the coefficient of friction. Additionally, adjusting the angle of the boards or using smoother surfaces can also reduce the friction force.

5. How can the torque problem be solved mathematically?

The torque problem can be solved using the equation T = F x d, where T is torque, F is the force applied, and d is the distance from the point of rotation. To solve for the friction force, you can use the equation Ff = μN, where Ff is the friction force, μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force. By combining these equations and plugging in the given values, you can solve for the friction force on the nail between the two boards.