Torque on a circular current loop

In summary, the equation for torque on a circular current loop is found by taking the Lorentz force and dividing it by the wire's cross-sectional area.
Leo Liu
Homework Statement
This is a conceptual question.
Relevant Equations
$$ \vec{\tau}=I \vec{A} \times \vec{B} $$
Can anyone please tell me why the torque on a circular current loop can be calculated by the equation below? In other words, what is the intuition for the formula? Thank you. (I modified my question to a particular case)
$$ \vec{\tau} = I \vec{A} \times \vec{B} $$

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
BvU said:
Try to figure it out starting from the Lorentz force
Hi. I have updated my question. I have not learned vector calculus since I am in high school and this is how far I can go.

$$d\vec{F} = I d\vec{L} \times \vec{B}$$
$$\vec{r} \times d\vec{F} = \vec{r} \times (I d\vec{L} \times \vec{B})$$
$$d\tau = \vec{r} \times (I d\vec{L} \times \vec{B})$$
$$\int d\tau = \int ((\vec{r} \times I d\vec{L}) \times \vec{B})$$
$$\int d\tau = \int rI d(L\hat{n} \times \vec{B})$$

haruspex said:
Thanks, but I do understand the case in which the wire is rectangular. I would like to know why the formula is still valid when the loop is circular
InkedInkedLoop_LI.jpg

Go back to the Lorentz force and do the calculation.

Hey, didn't I reply something similar earlier on ?

Actually the torque is ##\vec r \times \vec F~\rightarrow~\vec \tau = \int \vec r \times I (d\vec L \times \vec B)=I\int \vec r \times (d\vec L \times \vec B)##. The question of an arbitrary shaped current loop is normally treated in an intermediate-level EM textbok. I will not reproduce the solution here in favor of a hand-waving argument that might satisfy you because it is a description of the mathematical argument that adds and subtracts a whole bunch of zeroes.

Suppose you subdivide an arbitrary shaped loop carrying current ##I## into many infinitesimally small rectangular loops that fill the area of the original loop. Each of these loops carries current ##I## determined by the a right hand rule consistent with the normal ##\hat n## to the loop. The ##i##th loop contributes torque ##d\vec \tau_i=d\vec m_i \times \vec B=I dA_i~\hat n \times \vec B##. Adding all such contributions gives the total torque ##\vec \tau=I A~\hat n \times \vec B##.

Note that any rectangular loop that has a common boundary with another loop can be combined into a larger loop because current in the common boundary runs in opposite directions and therefore has no contribution to the net force or the net torque. The contribution to the torque of both loops together would be ##d\vec \tau_{i,i+1}=d\vec m_{i,i+1} \times \vec B=I (dA_i+dA_{i+1})~\hat n \times \vec B## and so on until one runs out of neighboring loops having reached the boundary.

Thus the internal common boundaries can be ignored and what's left is the outside boundary of the arbitrary loop that contributes to the total torque and that has already been found.

• Informative
  • Love
Likes Leo Liu and etotheipi
kuruman said:
Note that any rectangular loop that has a common boundary with another loop can be combined into a larger loop because current in the common boundary runs in opposite directions and therefore has no contribution to the net force or the net torque. The contribution to the torque of both loops together would be ##d\vec \tau_{i,i+1}=d\vec m_{i,i+1} \times \vec B=I (dA_i+dA_{i+1})~\hat n \times \vec B## and so on until one runs out of neighboring loops having reached the boundary.

Thus the internal common boundaries can be ignored and what's left is the outside boundary of the arbitrary loop that contributes to the total torque and that has already been found.

Wow, that's such a cool approach! I've been messing around with horrible integrals and this is much nicer!

kuruman said:
Suppose you subdivide an arbitrary shaped loop carrying current ##I## into many infinitesimally small rectangular loops that fill the area of the original loop. Each of these loops carries current ##I## determined by the a right hand rule consistent with the normal ##\hat n## to the loop. The ##i##th loop contributes torque ##d\vec \tau_i=d\vec m_i \times \vec B=I dA_i~\hat n \times \vec B##. Adding all such contributions gives the total torque ##\vec \tau=I A~\hat n \times \vec B##.
I love your insight! Thank you for your answer!

Related to Torque on a circular current loop

1. What is torque on a circular current loop?

Torque on a circular current loop is the rotational force that is applied to the loop due to the interaction between the magnetic field and the current flowing through the loop.

2. How is torque on a circular current loop calculated?

The formula for calculating torque on a circular current loop is T = NIABsinθ, where N is the number of turns in the loop, I is the current, A is the area of the loop, B is the magnetic field strength, and θ is the angle between the loop and the magnetic field.

3. What factors affect the torque on a circular current loop?

The torque on a circular current loop is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the current flowing through the loop, the size and shape of the loop, and the angle between the loop and the magnetic field.

4. How does torque on a circular current loop relate to its orientation?

The torque on a circular current loop is maximum when the loop is perpendicular to the magnetic field and minimum when the loop is parallel to the magnetic field. This is because the sine of 90 degrees is 1, while the sine of 0 degrees is 0.

5. What is the practical application of torque on a circular current loop?

Torque on a circular current loop is used in devices such as electric motors and generators, which convert electrical energy into mechanical energy and vice versa. It is also important in understanding the behavior of magnetic compasses and other magnetic instruments.