Torque Force of Rockets On A Satellite

In summary: The Required Steady Force of Each RocketIf the satellite is to reach 31 rpm in 5.1 minutes, starting from rest, the required steady force of each rocket is 183 Newtons.
Lancelot59

Homework Statement

GIANCOLI.ch10.p050.jpg

A satellite has a mass of 4000 kg, a radius of 4.9 m. 4 rockets tangentially mounted each add a mass of 220 kg, what is the required steady force of each rocket if the satellite is to reach 31 rpm in 5.1 min, starting from rest?

Homework Equations

[tex]\Sigma[/tex]T=I [tex]\alpha[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Simple enough. I had already solved pretty much the same problem in my textbook.

I got [tex]\alpha[/tex] by taking the RPM as the delta Vtangental and then multiplying it by 2[tex]\Pi[/tex]/60, and then dividing it by 306 seconds.

Then for I I used (1/2)Mr2 for the satellite body, and treated the rockets as point particles using mr2, and multiplying by 4.

I = (1/2)Mr2 + 4(mr2)

I wound up with about 183 Newtons per rocket, which the program says is wrong. This online system has a habit of telling you your stuff is wrong when in fact you're doing everything correctly. It uses some silly method of rounding off each step instead of just the final answer.

Am I doing something wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Lancelot59! :smile:

(have an alpha: α and an omega: ω and a sigma: ∑ and a pi: π :wink:)
Lancelot59 said:
A satellite has a mass of 4000 kg, a radius of 4.9 m. 4 rockets tangentially mounted each add a mass of 220 kg, what is the required steady force of each rocket if the satellite is to reach 31 rpm in 5.1 min, starting from rest?

I got [tex]\alpha[/tex] by taking the RPM as the delta Vtangental and then multiplying it by 2[tex]\Pi[/tex]/60, and then dividing it by 306 seconds.

erm :redface:why 2π/60 ? :confused:

v = rω :wink:

Well the speed is in rotations per minute. So I changed it into radians per second.

31RPM x (2pi radians/1 rpm) x (1 minute/60 seconds)

I tried using v=r[tex]\omega[/tex] which gave me twice the [tex]\alpha[/tex] but the thing still says it's wrong. I calculated the moment of inertia to be 69148.8.

Lancelot59 said:
Well the speed is in rotations per minute. So I changed it into radians per second.

31RPM x (2pi radians/1 rpm) x (1 minute/60 seconds)

I tried using v=r[tex]\omega[/tex] which gave me twice the [tex]\alpha[/tex] but the thing still says it's wrong. I calculated the moment of inertia to be 69148.8.

ah, I got confused by your Vtangential (still am, actually)! :redface:

Your equations, and moment of inertia, look ok, except I don't understand where you're using v =rω.

I have a feeling that your attempt to introduce V is somehow spoiling he result.

Well then how could I find alpha?

Related to Torque Force of Rockets On A Satellite

1. What is the purpose of calculating the torque force of rockets on a satellite?

The torque force of rockets on a satellite is important to calculate because it determines the stability and orientation of the satellite in space. This force can affect the satellite's ability to maintain its desired orbit and perform its intended functions.

2. How is the torque force of rockets on a satellite calculated?

The torque force of rockets on a satellite can be calculated by multiplying the force of the rocket engines by the distance between the center of mass of the satellite and the point where the force is applied. This distance is known as the lever arm and is typically measured in meters.

3. What factors can affect the torque force of rockets on a satellite?

Several factors can affect the torque force of rockets on a satellite, including the magnitude and direction of the rocket engines' thrust, the satellite's mass and shape, and the distance between the center of mass and the engine's point of application. External forces such as gravity, solar radiation, and atmospheric drag can also impact the torque force.

4. How does the torque force of rockets on a satellite impact its stability?

The torque force of rockets on a satellite can either stabilize or destabilize the satellite, depending on its direction and magnitude. If the torque force is in the same direction as the satellite's angular momentum, it will increase the satellite's stability. On the other hand, if the torque force is in the opposite direction, it can cause the satellite to wobble or even spin out of control.

5. What are some real-life applications of understanding the torque force of rockets on a satellite?

Understanding the torque force of rockets on a satellite is crucial for designing and operating satellites in space. This knowledge is used to ensure that satellites maintain their intended orbits, communicate with ground stations, and accurately collect and transmit data. It is also useful in developing spacecraft and launch vehicles for space exploration and satellite deployment missions.