Torque Equation and Slope Intercept

In summary, the conversation discusses creating and converting equations for torque in a physics problem involving a ruler. The first procedure asks to create an equation for total torque, while the second procedure requests to convert the equation into the form y=mx. The question also mentions using Στ=0 and provides background information and work that has been done so far. The final question asks to calculate the torque of all forces acting on the ruler about point B when the center of gravity is equal to 4.
Nicolas5150

Homework Statement

The four highlighted questions are the ones that I am having trouble with. Unfortunately, the second question in both sections builds upon the first so its hard to go any further but I would know how to solve the second part if I could create the equation. In the first procedure it asks to create an equation for the total torque. I understand it must be equal to zero but not the values that must go on the right side of it. I do know though how to solve for the values (which should be R and W), after the equation is created.
The question was stated as "Use the forces of torque acting on the ruler about point B (when center of gravity is equal 4.) Then create an equation using Στ = 0 this should be labeled equation 3.
The second question requests that the equation originally created (W*x=.1*(m*g)) be converted into y=mx.
The question was stated as, "write the equation in y=mx."
I attached 3 .jpg to show the work I have already done, as well as to provide a background of the nature of the question.

Homework Equations

y=mx
∑[itex]\tau[/itex]=0

The Attempt at a Solution

In the first procedure it asks to create an equation for the total torque. I understand it must be equal to zero but not the values that must go on the right side of it. I do know though how to solve for the values (which should be R and W), after the equation is created.
The second set of directions in procedure two ask to make the equation I had made in part one (W*x=.1*(m*g)) into y=mx. In the equation previously sated, I thought the x was the dependent variable and m was the independent variable, leaving W to be the part of the slope. I rearranged the equation several times and got the value of .42 as the answer which doesn't seem right according to the graph that corresponds to it. If I can get help on the equation portion the second two questions will be much easier to solve. Thank you for your time.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-06-20 at 11.15.04 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-06-20 at 11.15.04 AM.png
    60.1 KB · Views: 643
  • Screen Shot 2014-06-20 at 11.15.21 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-06-20 at 11.15.21 AM.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 739
  • Screen Shot 2014-06-19 at 12.40.48 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-06-19 at 12.40.48 PM.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 602
Physics news on Phys.org
Question (vi) says..

"Take the torques of all the forces acting on the ruler about point B when GC=4".

A torque is a force multiplied by a distance, so perhaps start by making a list of forces and their distance from B?

Related to Torque Equation and Slope Intercept

1. What is the torque equation?

The torque equation is a mathematical expression that relates the rotational force (torque) applied to an object to the object's moment of inertia and angular acceleration. It is represented by the equation: T = Iα, where T is torque, I is moment of inertia, and α is angular acceleration.

2. How is the torque equation derived?

The torque equation is derived from Newton's second law of motion, which states that the net force applied to an object is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by its acceleration. In rotational motion, this equation is modified to include the moment of inertia and angular acceleration, resulting in the torque equation.

3. What is the significance of the slope intercept form in the torque equation?

The slope intercept form of the torque equation, T = mα + b, represents the linear relationship between torque and angular acceleration. The slope (m) represents the moment of inertia, while the y-intercept (b) represents the external torque applied to the object.

4. How is the torque equation used in real-world applications?

The torque equation is used in a variety of real-world applications, such as in the design of mechanical systems, including engines, motors, and gears. It is also used in the study of rotational motion in physics and engineering, as well as in sports and everyday activities that involve rotating objects.

5. How does the torque equation relate to the concept of work?

The torque equation and the concept of work are related through the concept of energy. Work is defined as the product of force and displacement, and in rotational motion, torque is the product of force and angular displacement. Therefore, work done by a torque is equal to the change in rotational kinetic energy of an object.