Torque Calculation for Sweeper machine Broom

In summary, in order to calculate the torque needed for a rotating sweeper machine broom, you will need to consider the unbalanced torque required to start rotation, the change in angular momentum when the rod starts rotating, the moment of inertia, and the angular acceleration. It may also be helpful to review marketing information from manufacturers for motor horsepower and brush RPM. Additionally, for a specific scenario such as cleaning solar panels, the weight of the broom, coefficient of sliding friction between the panel and brush, and bristle size should be taken into consideration. A quick estimate for continuous operating torque can be calculated by multiplying the weight of the broom by the coefficient of friction and the radius of the broom.
Tejas Patel
Can anybody tell me how to calculate torque for rotating sweeper machine broom?

Broom Dia is - 0.6 m
Length - 2 m
Weight - 150 Kg
Rotating RPM - 150

Engineering news on Phys.org
To start rotating any object, there has to be an unbalanced torque. Let the torque required be ##\tau##.
What is the change in angular momentum when rod starts rotating with the required RPM starting from rest?

AdityaDev said:
To start rotating any object, there has to be an unbalanced torque. Let the torque required be ##\tau##.
What is the change in angular momentum when rod starts rotating with the required RPM starting from rest?

I don't know about angular momentum, But i know time. In 10 sec shaft pick its max speed 150 RPM.

Are you familiar with this equation: ##\tau=\Delta I\omega##

edit:##\tau = \Delta (I\omega)/\Delta t##

Last edited:
AdityaDev said:
Are you familiar with this equation: ##\tau=\Delta I\omega##

Yes in this i have calculated w, angular speed come is 15.7 rad/s. But i have confusion regarding I

Assuming its a rod rotating about one end, I=(1/3)ML^2

AdityaDev said:
Assuming its a rod rotating about one end, I=(1/3)ML^2

In this what is M and L?

I is the moment of inertia which is analogous to mass in rotational mechanics. M is the mass and L is length of rod.

AdityaDev said:
I is the moment of inertia which is analogous to mass in rotational mechanics. M is the mass and L is length of rod.

than I value is 2594.75 N-M2

So you can find the torque using the equation in post 4

AdityaDev said:
So you can find the torque using the equation in post 4
Than Unit come in N-m2/s ? bcz w unit is rad/s and I N-m2 so bit confuse in this

Oops... I am very sorry.
its ##\tau=I\alpha=I\frac{d\omega}{dt}##

AdityaDev said:
Oops... I am very sorry.
its ##\tau=I\alpha=I\frac{d\omega}{dt}##
Ok thank you so much.

What I am trying to say is the change in angular momentum is ##\Delta(I\omega)##.
Now you can find alpha is angular acceleration. Its is like acceleration.
##\alpha=\Delta\omega /\Delta t##

Tejas Patel said:
Can anybody tell me how to calculate torque for rotating sweeper machine broom?
I assume that you want to know the torque needed to keep it turning once it has reached speed and is being used. The operating torque will depend on the contact pattern with the swept area, the velocity of travel and the friction between the brush and the swept surface.

The size of the bristles on the brush will have a significant effect. Use the biggest bristles that will do the job.

Review the marketing information from manufacturers of sweeping machines. Make a list of published motor HP and brush RPM. From that you can calculate torque since power is torque multiplied by RPM.

Baluncore said:
I assume that you want to know the torque needed to keep it turning once it has reached speed and is being used. The operating torque will depend on the contact pattern with the swept area, the velocity of travel and the friction between the brush and the swept surface.

The size of the bristles on the brush will have a significant effect. Use the biggest bristles that will do the job.

Review the marketing information from manufacturers of sweeping machines. Make a list of published motor HP and brush RPM. From that you can calculate torque since power is torque multiplied by RPM.
Hello,

i am using it to clean solar panel, and my selected bristles dia is 0.3 mm also coefficient of sliding friction between solar panel and brush is 0.1 as per supplier data.
any specify calculation formula for same? Bcz i try as per post 12 but its value come too high.
please help me.

Broom Dia is - 0.6 m. Weight - 150 Kg.

A quick estimate begins with 150kg * 9.8 = 1470. N
Coefficient of friction is 0.1 so force needed is 1470 * 0.1 = 147N

Diameter is 600mm therefore radius is 300mm = 0.3m.
Torque needed is 147.N * 0.3m = 44.1 Newton.metre

Baluncore said:
Broom Dia is - 0.6 m. Weight - 150 Kg.

A quick estimate begins with 150kg * 9.8 = 1470. N
Coefficient of friction is 0.1 so force needed is 1470 * 0.1 = 147N

Diameter is 600mm therefore radius is 300mm = 0.3m.
Torque needed is 147.N * 0.3m = 44.1 Newton.metre
May be this start up torque, So can i need more torque to rotate it constant ?

Tejas Patel said:
May be this start up torque, So can i need more torque to rotate it constant ?
44.1 Nm is an estimate of the continuous operating torque while being used. You may need more torque to start the rotation, but that will only be if you need to accelerate it quickly, or if it is started while it is in contact with a panel.

Related to Torque Calculation for Sweeper machine Broom

1. What is torque and why is it important for a sweeper machine broom?

Torque is a measure of the twisting force applied to an object. In the context of a sweeper machine broom, torque is important because it determines the rotational force needed to spin the broom and effectively sweep debris.

2. How is torque calculated for a sweeper machine broom?

To calculate the torque for a sweeper machine broom, you need to know the force applied to the broom (in newtons) and the distance from the force to the center of rotation (in meters). The torque is then calculated by multiplying the force by the distance (T = F x d).

3. What factors can affect the torque needed for a sweeper machine broom?

The torque needed for a sweeper machine broom can be affected by various factors such as the type and weight of debris being swept, the speed of the machine, and the condition of the broom itself. Additionally, the angle of the broom and the friction between the broom and the ground can also impact the torque required.

4. How can I determine the optimal torque for my sweeper machine broom?

The optimal torque for a sweeper machine broom will depend on the specific conditions and needs of your cleaning task. It is important to consider the factors mentioned in the previous question and test different torque levels to find the most effective and efficient option for your machine.

5. Is there a maximum torque that a sweeper machine broom can handle?

Yes, there is a maximum torque limit for a sweeper machine broom. Exceeding this limit can lead to damage or malfunction of the broom. It is important to consult the manufacturer's guidelines and specifications to ensure that the broom is not being subjected to excessive torque.