Torque, Angular Momentum, and Conservation of Mass Problems

In summary, the conversation discussed difficulty in approaching physics problems and asked for resources on understanding torque, angular momentum, and conservation of momentum. Links were provided, but the person is still looking for book recommendations. The conversation ended with gratitude and the person feeling good about helping others.
TimeInquirer

Homework Statement

I am studying the topics listed above and have been having great difficulty getting my problems going. To explain, I am having difficulty seeing where the problem should go and attacking in that direction. I can draw out free-body diagrams but I can't see how to solve the problem using them.

Example problem: A string is attached to a top edge of a block, and there is a pivot (or sufficient friction) to keep the block from sliding. At what angle should we pull so that we can use the least force to tip the block? How much force is required?

I am not looking for an answer but rather a method to approaching such problems that ask for general solutions to the topics listed above.

Lastly, and perhaps most importantly, finding relationships between equations is something need to work on. Any resources?

Homework Equations

Not sure if this applies to my question. If so, there are many.[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

No Idea how to start[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, I'll be looking into it.

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, those links provided only little help. I have yet to find a book or resource that explains torque, angular momentum, or conservation of momentum (just noticed it is wrong in the title). They all just state the equations and define what they mean. Any book recommendations?

Angular and Linear momentum.
Angular momentum and torque.
https://www.stcharlesprep.org/01_parents/vandermeer_s/Useful%20Links/Honors%20Physics/pdf%20lectures/Torque.pdf.
http://web.mit.edu/8.01t/www/materials/modules/chapter19.pdf.
http://www.colorado.edu/physics/phys1110/phys1110_fa12/LectureNotes/LinearMomentum.pdf.
If you need anything else...Simply let me know. Pssst! (did I help?) ^_^

Likes TimeInquirer
Wow, if there is a god, he must be good for allowing me to live long enough to meet you. Your help is very much appreciated my good man.

Glad I helped (Acting like a gentleman)...Background: Feeling extremely good about myself helping others

Likes TimeInquirer

Related to Torque, Angular Momentum, and Conservation of Mass Problems

1. What is torque and how is it calculated?

Torque is a measure of the force that can cause an object to rotate around an axis. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the axis of rotation to the point of application of the force. This can be expressed as the equation: torque = force x distance.

2. How is angular momentum defined and conserved?

Angular momentum is a measure of an object's rotational motion. It is defined as the product of an object's moment of inertia (a measure of its resistance to rotational motion) and its angular velocity (the rate at which it rotates around an axis). According to the law of conservation of angular momentum, the total angular momentum of a system remains constant unless an external torque is applied.

3. Can you provide an example of a torque problem?

An example of a torque problem would be a seesaw with two children of different weights sitting at different distances from the center. The heavier child sitting closer to the center will have a greater torque (force x distance) than the lighter child sitting further from the center. In order for the seesaw to be in equilibrium, the two torques must be equal.

4. How does conservation of mass apply to rotational motion?

Conservation of mass states that the total mass of a closed system remains constant, regardless of any physical or chemical changes that may occur within the system. In rotational motion, this means that the total mass of the object that is rotating remains the same, even if there are changes in its shape or distribution of mass.

5. What is the difference between linear momentum and angular momentum?

Linear momentum is a measure of an object's motion in a straight line, while angular momentum is a measure of an object's rotational motion. Linear momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its linear velocity, while angular momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's moment of inertia by its angular velocity. Additionally, linear momentum is conserved in all types of motion, while angular momentum is only conserved in rotational motion.