(torque) a force needed for wheel to rise up onto box

In summary, the problem involves a bicycle wheel resting against a small step and the question is about the magnitude of the force needed for the wheel to just begin to rise up and lose contact with the ground. The solution involves using the unit circle formula to determine the angle between the applied force and the pivot point, and using the summation of torques to zero with the formula T = rF sin θ. The final answer is 29N.
slambert56
ok this was a problem in my book and the answer apparently is 29N.

I have the diagram and pictures below. I know that the pivot point will be the edge of the block that is touching the outside of the wheel. When the wheel is in equilibrium the sum of the torque will=zero so i can set up the equation where the sum t=force times lever arm(l). When the wheel rises the normal force will equal zero. I am having major trouble getting the lever arms though. I know how to do vectors but I don't have any angles to work with so I am just trying the use the radius. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/3214/mmspicture1p.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
here is my diagram
http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/7379/001aoz.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know anything about math, but it seems to me that the question can't be answered because critical information is missing. I refer specifically to the frictional connection between the wheel and the obstacle. You could put a couple of thousand Newtons into that wheel, but if there's no grip it will just sit there and spin.

I think it is one of those frictionless problems. I forgot to post the actual question ha.
the drawing shows a bicycle wheel resting against a small step (height=.120m). The weight and radius of the wheel are w=25N and r=.340m. A horizontal force F is applied to the axle of the wheel. As the magnitude of F increases there comes a time when the wheel just begins to rise up and lose contact with the ground. What is the magnitude of the force when this happens.

Sorry, man, but I'm lost. First off, I have a grade 9 math level. Secondly, there were never such things as frictionless questions when I was studying science in school. Everything was "real world". Ideal machines didn't exist. We measured stuff, with all imperfections included.

Use unit circle formula to determine the angle between the applied force and the pivot point.

Then do your summation of torques to zero. Two forces acting. Weight & Pull.

T = r X F cross product

So

T = rF sin θ

Answer comes to 29N.

slambert56 said:
I have the diagram and pictures below. I know that the pivot point will be the edge of the block that is touching the outside of the wheel. When the wheel is in equilibrium the sum of the torque will=zero so i can set up the equation where the sum t=force times lever arm(l). When the wheel rises the normal force will equal zero. I am having major trouble getting the lever arms though. I know how to do vectors but I don't have any angles to work with so I am just trying the use the radius.
You should be able to get the moment arm of the applied force F without any angles--just subtract.

As for the moment arm of the weight, consider a right triangle where the hypotenuse is the line from the wheel axis to the step edge. You should know two of the three sides (use the result from the above calculation). A little trig will get you the third.

Last edited by a moderator:
Doc Al said:
You should be able to get the moment arm of the applied force F without any angles--just subtract.

As for the moment arm of the weight, consider a right triangle where the hypotenuse is the line from the wheel axis to the step edge. You should know two of the three sides (use the result from the above calculation). A little trig will get you the third.

Yes you can do it without angles, but I did it without hypotenuse...

More than one way to skin a cat!

Related to (torque) a force needed for wheel to rise up onto box

1. What is torque?

Torque is the measure of the force that can cause an object to rotate around an axis. It is typically measured in units of newton-meters (Nm) or foot-pounds (ft-lb).

2. How is torque related to the force needed for a wheel to rise up onto a box?

The force needed for a wheel to rise up onto a box is directly related to the torque applied to the wheel. The greater the torque, the greater the force needed to lift the wheel onto the box.

3. What factors affect the amount of torque needed for a wheel to rise up onto a box?

The amount of torque needed for a wheel to rise up onto a box can be affected by various factors, such as the weight and size of the wheel, the surface of the box, and the angle at which the wheel approaches the box. Additionally, the friction between the wheel and the box can also affect the amount of torque needed.

4. How can torque be calculated for a specific scenario?

To calculate torque, you need to know the force applied and the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is being applied. You can then use the equation torque = force x distance to calculate the torque for a specific scenario.

5. Can torque be increased or decreased?

Yes, torque can be increased or decreased by changing the force applied or the distance from the axis of rotation. For example, if you increase the force applied, the torque will also increase. Similarly, if you increase the distance, the torque will also increase. However, if you decrease the force or the distance, the torque will decrease.