Topology required for topological quantum computing?

In summary: It's important to have a strong foundation in pure math, but the majority of your focus should be on the physical applications. In summary, it's important to have a strong background in formal mathematics, specifically in analysis, algebra, and set theory, before delving into topology. It's also beneficial to have knowledge of theoretical computer science and the physical applications of topology. Theoretical physicists use pure math as needed, with a focus on the physical applications.
madhavpr
I guess the usual answer would be to learn as much as possible.
Some background about me:
I am not a physicist but I'd like to pursue a PhD in theoretical physics (after a year or two) and work on topological quantum computing. I am familiar with quantum mechanics and solid state physics (at the level of Ashcroft), concepts like fractional quantum hall effects, topological insulators etc that I learned in my advanced condensed matter course. I have no issues as such with the usual mathematical methods that are used by physicists and engineers; and proof methods,set theory etc. I'm studying rigorous linear algebra (Hoffman/Kunze) and quantum computation (Nielson and Chuang) now.

1. Should I go through pure topology books by Munkres or Mendelson, or look at books like Nakahara or Frankel that talk about physical applications?
2. What kind of background is required to study topology? Can I dive into topology right after acquiring the necessary background in formal mathematics or should I do analysis and/or algebra first?
3. What kind of computing/theoretical computer science knowledge is required?
4. Do theoretical physicists and people who work in this field actually learn pure math (or take classes on abstract algebra, topology etc) or do they use the math as and when needed?

I apologize if the questions are silly or stupid. Any input would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
1. I would recommend going through both Munkres and Nakahara. Munkres will give you a good foundation in pure topology, while Nakahara's book will help you understand the physical applications of topology. This way, you'll have a better understanding of the concepts you'll be working with. 2. To study topology, you should have a good background in formal mathematics, specifically in analysis, algebra, and set theory. You should also have a good understanding of calculus and linear algebra. 3. A good knowledge of theoretical computer science is beneficial, as this field is closely related to topology. You should also be familiar with concepts such as graph theory and algorithms.4. Theoretical physicists do learn some pure math, but they often use the math as and when needed. They usually focus on the physical applications of the math and don't delve too deeply into the abstract concepts.

Related to Topology required for topological quantum computing?

1. What is topology in the context of quantum computing?

Topology is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of geometric shapes and spaces that remain unchanged even when the shape is stretched, bent, or deformed. In the context of quantum computing, topology refers to the specific arrangement and connectivity of quantum particles, such as electrons, which can affect their behavior and interactions.

2. Why is topology important for topological quantum computing?

Topology is important for topological quantum computing because it allows for the creation of stable quantum states, known as topological qubits, which are resistant to external disturbances. This makes them more reliable for use in quantum computing operations compared to traditional qubits, which are more susceptible to errors.

3. What are the key concepts of topology required for topological quantum computing?

The key concepts of topology required for topological quantum computing include topological invariants, which are properties of a system that remain the same even if the system is deformed; topological quantum field theory, which describes the behavior of topological states; and braiding, which involves the exchange of quantum particles in a specific pattern to create topological states.

4. How is topology used in topological quantum computing algorithms?

Topology is used in topological quantum computing algorithms to manipulate and control the behavior of topological qubits. This can involve the creation of braids, or the movement of quantum particles in a specific pattern, to perform quantum operations. Topological invariants are also used to measure and verify the stability of topological qubits during these operations.

5. What are the current challenges in using topology for topological quantum computing?

Some of the current challenges in using topology for topological quantum computing include the difficulty in creating and controlling topological qubits, as well as the high error rates that can occur during quantum operations. Additionally, the design and implementation of topological quantum algorithms is still an active area of research, and further advancements are needed to fully harness the power of topology for quantum computing.