How can I accurately calculate mutual inductance between a coil and a magnet?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of mutual inductance between a coil and a magnet. The initial approach using Neumann's formula proves to be problematic due to the finite diameter of the coil's wires. The conversation also touches on the use of mutual induction in transformers and how it relates to the measurement of the magnet's strength. The participants suggest seeking literature on generators and using a Bell gaussmeter or Hall sensor for more accurate measurements.
HiEdgar
Hi, All:

I am trying to calculate the mutual inductance between the coil (100 turns) and the magnet. Does anybody know any approaches that may lead a satisfactory answer.

So far, I have been using Neumann's formula which is the formula for mutual inductance, M, between two loops. I treated my magnet as another coil and used Neumann's formula to determine M then. The problem with that is that the diameter of the wires of my coil are finite whereas neumann's formula treats them as infinitisemally small. Because of this, my M became a funciton of magnet's wire diameter, which is not right. Any input is appreciated.

Thank you,

Edgar

Physics news on Phys.org
As far as I know "mutual inductance" is the term used to describe what happens in a transformer, and is synonymous with "mutual induction". That being the case I'm confused by your question, because you speak only of one coil and refer to a magnet. In a transformer there should be at least two coils and a core, but no magnet.

It could be that "mutual inductance" was used by mistake in the old book I looked it up in but I'n not sure. Another book I have used the term "mutual induction" to describe the same thing.

If you could explicitly define the phenomenon you're asking about maybe I can dig up some more information.

Zooby

here is more info on my problem

Hi,

I am not working with transformers. My objective is to measure the strength (Br) of a given magnet. The experimental setup is as follows: as we move the magnet closer to the coil, there will be emf generated in teh coil. In can be shown that the strength of a magnet is proportional to the
Integral[emf]/delta_[M], where M is the mutual inductance. I can measure Integral[emf]. But I need to know M, which is a function of a position. My first approach was to use Neumann's formula which you can find in Griffiths' or Jackson's E&M textbooks. However Neumann's formula deals with wires whose diameter is infinitesimally small.

From your email, I also got a feeling that you may know some techniques on calculating the emf induced in the coil due to magnet's movement. Formulawise, it is not bad: emf=-N dFlux/dt, Flux=Integral{B.da}, B=mu0 H, H=-Grad[Phi_m], Phi_m=Integral[n.M/r da]. Unfortunately, when I used this approach, the math got so hairy after calculation of B that is was really hard to go further. If you know of any other approaches please let me know,

thank you,

Edgar

Sorry to say, now that I understand the situation you're trying to work with, that I don't know what you need to work the problem out. It sounds to me like the kind of problem that would arise in the engineering of generators. If you can find any literature on that it may help.
"From your email, I also got a feeling that you may know some techniques on calculating the emf induced in the coil..."
I didn't send you an E-Mail, so this statement is unsettling. You received an E-Mail from me? zoobyshoe?

i need the neumanns eqn derivation part as well as how it can be applied to calculate mutual inductance?

Where does your "mutual inductance" come into it?
Mutual inductance tells you the emf generated in one winding when the current in another winding changes. Where are the 'two' windings in this model?

Attempting to measure theintegral of the induced EMF could get pretty hairy since measurement errors could quickly overwhelm out your data (unless you made the measurement quickly.

In the lab, we would typically use a Bell gaussmeter. If your low on resources, perhaps measuring the force on a current bearing coil (Lozentz force) could help you out. That or purchasing a cheap Hall sensor, then zeroing and scaling it with a homemade helmholtz coil.

Best of luck,

Mike

yeah yeah i got it :)
thank u

1. What is mutual inductance and why is it important?

Mutual inductance is the phenomenon in which a changing magnetic field in one circuit induces a current in a nearby circuit. This is important because it allows for the transfer of energy and signals between circuits without direct electrical contact, making it a crucial concept in the design and function of many electronic devices.

2. How is mutual inductance calculated?

Mutual inductance can be calculated using the formula M = k * √(L1 * L2), where M is the mutual inductance, k is the coupling coefficient, and L1 and L2 are the inductances of the two circuits. The coupling coefficient represents the degree of coupling between the two circuits and is typically between 0 and 1.

3. What factors affect the value of mutual inductance?

The value of mutual inductance is affected by the distance between the two circuits, the number of turns in each circuit, the shape and orientation of the circuits, and the material properties of the circuits. Additionally, the presence of magnetic materials or other nearby electrical devices can also influence mutual inductance.

4. How is mutual inductance used in practical applications?

Mutual inductance is used in a variety of practical applications, such as in transformers, which use mutual inductance to step up or step down voltage levels. It is also used in wireless charging, where a changing magnetic field is used to induce a current in a nearby device to charge its battery. Mutual inductance is also important in the design of circuits for communication and data transfer.

5. What are some limitations of mutual inductance calculations?

Mutual inductance calculations can be complex and time-consuming, especially when dealing with non-uniform or non-ideal circuits. Additionally, mutual inductance calculations assume ideal conditions and do not take into account factors such as temperature, material properties, and external interference. Therefore, experimental verification is often needed to confirm the accuracy of mutual inductance calculations.