Topic: Motion Analysis of Passing Cars with Fixed Power and Variable Force

• Thread starter TszHin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cars
In summary, the conversation discusses a physics question about the passing of one car by another, where the passer has a fixed power and the force applied by the engine is dependent on the passer's velocity. The question asks about the motions of the cars in this scenario and suggests considering the definition of power to approach the problem.
TszHin
Hey there! I was hoping to get some help on this question, I am not quite sure what I am suppose to do! :(

Question: Consider the problem of the passing of one car by another. Assume that one car is moving at constant velocity, and the second car, the passer, has an initial velocity less then that of the other car. Assume that the power (P) of the passer is fixed, and therefore the (maximum) force applied by the engine is P/|Vpasser| (why?). What are the motions of the cars?

Im not exactly sure what this question wants me to do! help would be much appreciated! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
What's the definition of power? Start there.

Welcome to PF!

Hey TszHin! Welcome to PF! :smile:
TszHin said:
… Assume that the power (P) of the passer is fixed, and therefore the (maximum) force applied by the engine is P/|Vpasser| (why?). What are the motions of the cars?

Im not exactly sure what this question wants me to do!

the force is not constant, it depends on the speed

so the acceleration won't be constant … so what will the graph look like? :wink:

(and power = energy per time = force x distance per time = force x speed)

Related to Topic: Motion Analysis of Passing Cars with Fixed Power and Variable Force

What is the "Case Between Two Passing Cars"?

The "Case Between Two Passing Cars" is a thought experiment often used to illustrate the concept of relative motion and the effects of different frames of reference.

Who first proposed the "Case Between Two Passing Cars" thought experiment?

The "Case Between Two Passing Cars" thought experiment was first proposed by physicist Albert Einstein in his theory of relativity.

What is the main question posed by the "Case Between Two Passing Cars" thought experiment?

The main question of the "Case Between Two Passing Cars" thought experiment is: "If two cars are moving at different speeds, how does their relative motion affect the observed events in each car?"

What does the "Case Between Two Passing Cars" thought experiment demonstrate?

The "Case Between Two Passing Cars" thought experiment demonstrates that motion is relative and that the perception of events can differ for observers in different frames of reference. It also challenges the traditional concept of absolute space and time.

How is the "Case Between Two Passing Cars" thought experiment relevant to modern science?

The "Case Between Two Passing Cars" thought experiment is relevant as it serves as a basis for understanding the principles of relativity and has implications in fields such as physics, astronomy, and engineering. It has also led to the development of new theories and technologies, such as the GPS system.