Solving a Seismic Mystery: Calculating Epicenter Distance

In summary, the conversation discusses a simple algebra problem that involves calculating the distance from a seismometer to the epicenter of an earthquake. The problem involves using the formula "distance = speed x time" and solving for the time taken by the P-wave. The solution is found by setting the distance travelled by the S-wave equal to the distance travelled by the P-wave and using the fact that the S-wave takes 18.2 seconds longer to reach the detector than the P-wave. The formula "change in time = distance/v1 - distance/v2" is used to find the time taken by the P-wave, and the distance is then easily calculated using the time and speed of the P-wave.
tristan_fc
It seems to me that this is just a simple algebra problem, that doesn't have much to do with waves, but it's the only problem on the homework that I can't figure out. :-/ I know there's an easy solution to it, but I keep getting the wrong answer. Anyway, here it goes:

A seismographic station receives S and P waves from an earthquake, 18.2 s apart. Suppose that the waves have traveled over the same path, at speeds of 4.50 km/s and 7.00 km/s respectively. Find the distance from the seismometer to the epicenter of the quake.

Anyone have any help? I know the solution must be blindingly obvious. [?]

Physics news on Phys.org
Both S and P waves travel the same distance. Use the venerable formula, Distance = Speed x Time, to calculate D based on the difference in T.

Thanks I knew it had something to do with that formula, and I figured it out.

change in time = d/v1 - d/v2. :)

As you know,

[tex]
\begin{equation*}
\begin{split}
distance &= velocity \times time\\
s &= v t
\end{split}
\end{equation*}
[/tex]

The distances are the same in each case, so you have

[tex]
s = v_s t_s = v_p t_p
[/tex]

where s,p denote the two kinds of waves.

The s wave takes 18.2 seconds to reach the detector than the p wave. This means

[tex]
t_s = t_p + 18.2
[/tex]

Substitute this into the previous equation:

[tex]
v_s (t_p + 18.2) = v_p t_p
[/tex]

Solve for [tex]t_p[/tex]. You then know the time taken by the p-wave, and the speed of the p-wave, so the distance is easily found.

- Warren

Originally posted by tristan_fc
Thanks I knew it had something to do with that formula, and I figured it out.

change in time = d/v1 - d/v2. :)
Yup. :smile:

- Warren

1. What is the purpose of calculating the epicenter distance?

The purpose of calculating the epicenter distance is to determine the location of an earthquake's epicenter, which is the point on the Earth's surface directly above where the earthquake originated. This information is crucial for understanding the extent of the earthquake's impact and for assessing potential damage.

2. What data is needed to calculate the epicenter distance?

To calculate the epicenter distance, you will need the arrival times of seismic waves at three or more different locations, as well as the distance between each location and the epicenter. This data can be obtained from seismographs and other seismic monitoring equipment.

3. How is the epicenter distance calculated?

The epicenter distance is calculated using a mathematical method called triangulation. This involves drawing circles of varying radii around each seismograph location, with the radius equal to the distance between the location and the epicenter. The point where these circles intersect is the epicenter. The distance between the epicenter and each seismograph location can then be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem.

4. What is the margin of error when calculating the epicenter distance?

The margin of error when calculating the epicenter distance can vary depending on the accuracy of the data and the method used for calculation. Generally, a margin of error of a few kilometers is considered acceptable for seismic studies and earthquake monitoring.

5. How does calculating the epicenter distance help with earthquake prediction?

Calculating the epicenter distance is an important step in understanding the characteristics of an earthquake, such as its magnitude and focal depth. This information can then be used to develop models for predicting future earthquakes and assessing potential hazards in a given region. However, it is important to note that earthquake prediction is still a complex and evolving science, and there is currently no reliable method for predicting earthquakes with precision.