What Determines the Oxidation States of Aluminum and Silicon?

In summary: . i knew aluminum had 3 unpaired electrons but didnt know it could only exist in the +3 oxidation state.
yoquierouf
Oxidation States Help. URGENT!

Hey, I've got this question to answer, any help would be greatly appreciated.

In a compound, aluminum (Z=13) exists in only the +3 oxidation state but silicon (Z=14) can exist in either the +2 or the +4 oxidation state. Why?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
According to my chemistry book Al only has oxidation state +3 and Si only +4..

There are many other elements with lots of oxidation states, especially in group 7A of the periodic table:

Cl [Ne]3s23p5
+7
+5
+3
+1

My theory: it has to do with the fillingof the orbital shells. Either Cl can loose all of its 7 electrons and become [Ne]+7, it can loose all its electrons in the p subshell (+5), it can fill its p subshell (-1). The +3 and +1 don't make much sense to me.. I would have expected +2.

Silicon has oxidation states of +2, +4, and -4. My main confusion is, if Si can lose 2 electrons to fill the s orbital shell, why can't Aluminum do the same by losing 1 electron?

Good question.

What are the differences of the ionization energies between the two situations? Since Al has less mass, the electrons are more loosly bound. Apparently the loss of one electron doesn't stabilize the atom sufficiently and it is relatively easy to take the two additional s electrons so it will.

My speculation..

Ok, thank you very much for your help Monique. I really appreciate it. Peace

JC

Elements in the right section of the periodic table (p orbital elements) only exist in oxidation states of Z, Z-2, Z-4...basically subtracting even numbers of electrons. We can do this for sillicon until 2+...subtracting two electrons. However for aluminum subtracting another 2 electrons will leave it in the 1+ oxidation state. Originally aluminum had three unpaired electrons. 1+ aluminum only has one unpaired electron drastically decreasing its paramagnetic character. This jump is unlikely. Both silicon 4+ and 2+ has two unpaired electrons (although 4+ is more stable since it has a paired electron orbital). Although 2+ is more unstable than 4+ it is possible in a relative sense to aluminum that 2+ exists although more rare than 4+.

You should have someone else check on this though...

This is only my reasoning.

? why is it even numbers of electrons that are taken ?

Can anyone explain the Cl example? Cl is [Ne]3s23p5 I would expect a Cl2+ state, since that would mean [Ne]3s23p3. I think it was Hunds rule saying that filled AND half filled orbitals are especially stable, then why not have Cl2+?

Cl has the strongest electron affinity values for which it may be difficult to remove 2 electrons stere orientation of orbitals might also restrict +2 O.S.

The Cl example:

It would be highly unlikely to get any loss of electrons from the Cl ion simply because of the size of the atom. Cl is quite small and if you remove an electron, it becomes substantially smaller causing the gigantic increase in ionization energy. It would wish to go to a +2 if forced, but its high electronegativity creates high electron affinity.

As you move into the transition elements and larger elements, it is important to not think of the electron shells as being an equal distance apart. Once the d and f shells are added to the orbital mix, two things happen:

1. The outer most electrons are "shielded" from the nucleus by the inner most filled electron shells causing little hold on them by the positive nucleus.

2. The orbitals overlap and some hybridize because there is very little energy difference between one shell and another.

Anyway, this is what I remember from Inorganic, but then again, it has been awhile.

Peace,

Galaphile

thanks for explaining facts

What are oxidation states?

Oxidation states, also known as oxidation numbers, are a numerical representation of the charge on an atom or ion in a compound. They indicate the number of electrons gained or lost by an atom in a chemical reaction.

How do you determine the oxidation state of an element?

The oxidation state of an element can be determined by analyzing its electron configuration and the number of valence electrons it has. In general, elements tend to gain or lose electrons to achieve a full outer shell, resulting in a change in oxidation state.

What is the purpose of oxidation states?

Oxidation states are important for understanding the reactivity and behavior of elements in chemical reactions. They also help in predicting the products of a reaction and balancing chemical equations.

Can oxidation states change in a compound?

Yes, oxidation states can change in a compound depending on the reaction and the electronegativity of the elements involved. However, the overall charge of the compound must remain balanced.

How do oxidation states relate to oxidation and reduction?

Oxidation states are closely related to the concepts of oxidation and reduction. Oxidation is the loss of electrons, resulting in an increase in oxidation state, while reduction is the gain of electrons, leading to a decrease in oxidation state.